582: "Silent Night"

**SPOILERS**

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

Rate the episode!

5 Stars - Its almost as awesome as EK!
54%
4 Stars - Long live great Odyssey Christmas
27%
3 Stars - Meh... Mediocre...
10%
2 Stars - Bleh
10%
1 Star - *Explodes*
No votes

Total votes: 41

AIOfan11
Younger than you

Post by AIOfan11 »

I love it! Way to go AIO writing team!
Lonesome Dove
Probably not a NPC

Post by Lonesome Dove »

It rocked! Me loved! I am still figuring out this MB...
18:36 <Katilyn>: *somehting
18:36 <Katilyn>: **somehting
18:36 <Katilyn>: ...
18:36 <Katilyn>: ***something
Image Image
Arwen
No way I broke the window

Post by Arwen »

I liked it...but I'm a bit dazed, and I probably need to hear it again. I listened to it and DGL this afternoon because I was at a friend's house on Saturday. I listened to one after the other. DGL was a wierd jump into the future, and Odyssey was a remembrance of the past. That and my tiredness made it all seem kinda weird. I think I liked it, though. It was a good flashback episode.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof; is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
-Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless
Samitude
Pilgrim

Post by Samitude »

I really enjoyed this episode particularly the scene about the clock. My sister and I almost cried.
Ferder
Pilgrim

Post by Ferder »

Since AIO seems to love "It's a wonderful like" so much, I think I'll quote one of it's nasty characters in regards to this ep: sentimental hogwash!

(harsh comment? well I just thought there needed to be a balance since there were so many reviews saying how incredible it was).
Kanimoto
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Kanimoto »

It was pretty good...dangerously close to being sappy...and Jana's little girl voice really bothered me. >_< Otherwise, me liked. ^_^
In the darkness, the Lurker frantically tries to figure out what is going on.
Jeremy
Smile for the camera

Post by Jeremy »

Kanimoto wrote:...and Jana's little girl voice really bothered me. >_<
Yeah, it bothered me, too, when I first heard it. But by the second time I listened to the ep, I thought it was pretty cute, and it seemed ok after all. ;-)

Jeremy
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Ferder wrote:Since AIO seems to love "It's a wonderful like" so much, I think I'll quote one of it's nasty characters in regards to this ep: sentimental hogwash!

(harsh comment? well I just thought there needed to be a balance since there were so many reviews saying how incredible it was).
It may be b/c I'm tired, but I honestly can't tell whether or not you were serious in voicing your desent for the ep. And if so, I must ask what kind of episode you do like, since I honestly don't remember a positive review coming from you in quite some time.
Dave
Classic

Post by Dave »

I kinda agree with Ferder. I mean, I wouldn't be so harsh as he was, but it didn't grab me or interest me much.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

*edited to remove post*
I decided this shouldn't have been posted. ~Chandler~
Last edited by Chandler on Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
His4Ever
Just visiting

Post by His4Ever »

i had to go with bleh...it wasnt one of AIO best ones....but i did enjoy learning more about the Whittiker family
~-_* Prinzes Viah*_-~
Ferder
Pilgrim

Post by Ferder »

Jonathan wrote: I honestly don't remember a positive review coming from you in quite some time.
Very true. Often it's more fun to complain them to say something positive.
But to be honest, the ep didn't hold my interest. I ended up just skipping to the end to see if it got better. I suppose that wasn't really giving it a fair chance, but it just wasn't my type of episode.
What kind of ep do I like? Not much post-Novacom stuff. Sure and ep here and an ep there, but it's hard to tell if an ep is actually really good until it's been a few years, and most most of them so far haven't stood the test. Maybe it's just because I'm getting older, but then again I still like listening to older eps. I also don't get up early any more on Saturdays to listen to the new eps so if I was going to hear them I would listen on the computer. And it's all to easy to loose interest, or just turn off the ep on the comp.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Ferder wrote:Not much post-Novacom stuff. Sure and ep here and an ep there, but it's hard to tell if an ep is actually really good until it's been a few years, and most most of them so far haven't stood the test. Maybe it's just because I'm getting older, but then again I still like listening to older eps.
I can relate to all of that.

And since being forced to do some self-evaluation, I'd have to agree that I can be kind of over-zealous concerning negative reviews. My thing is that I don't like cynical sounding reviews; I just need to define that line and handle myself more diplomatically when that happens; Point is, I'll try to improve there.
Nathan Hoobler
AIO Writer

Post by Nathan Hoobler »

Review by Allison Benvie, age 19
Rating: 3 1/2
I have never heard past Christmases on Odyssey before so this was an experience for me to hear different moments in Whit's life, I also liked hearing Jenny, Jerry, Janna and Jason, it was really cool to hear the whole Whittaker family.

Review by Eugenefan23, age 11
Rating: 4
Great episode!

Review by Odyssey fan for 14 yrs, age 18
Rating: 4
This episode was very good , I don't remember the last time Jana was on the show. Whit's grandkids must be pretty old, it was great hearing old Christmas's with Whit's family. Not the greats AIO christmas episode (that is reserved for Unto us a Child is born) but it was a very good episode.

Review by Rob, age 13
Rating: 3
I was speechless, silent. Pretty good for a season finale.

Review by Emma Pilgrim, age 12
Rating: 2
I'm not sure about this episode. Lester still scares me. At first I thought Whit was feeling sorry for himself, but was glad when at the end Chris says that we shouldn't feel sorry for ourselves. Still, I miss the good old days or thicker-plotted adventures.
WindowWasher
I've been here a bit

Post by WindowWasher »

I gave it 3.5 stars. There are still several christmas shows that I like better than this one, namely The Visitors, Peace On Earth and Back to Bethlehem. I didn't like the younger Whit, he sounded depressed, like he didn't want to be there. Bernard didn't sound himself over the phone. When Whit asked him if he wanted to get together, I thought Bernard was going to say that he was in bed sick. It seemed like the show didn't flow very well.

I did enjoy hearing Jana again, too bad it was only over the phone. I also got a laugh out of hearing Maude in the background jumping in the pool!

Not great, but a good episode.
Bennett
Someone's favorite

Post by Bennett »

Nathan Hoobler wrote:
Review by Emma Pilgrim, age 12
Rating: 2
I'm not sure about this episode. Lester still scares me. .
Wow...that was harsh...

Does she know he's supposed to mentally retarded? I guess they never outright said it... :-k

BC
Oba-rai
Blackgaard Prankster
Blackgaard Prankster

Post by Oba-rai »

In the 'No way out' series, I think it was implied...he was in a hospital or medical building.

I like Lester. He's funny. He's like a very sweet Wooton. \:D/

This was very good. I liked the flashbacks. It gave a GREAT glimpse into Whit's life. The script was good, the show flowed a bit better than usual, and everything gave it a Christmas feel. I nearly cried when I realized that Jerry had died. :( The cuckoo clock did it in for me...

I loved hearing the violin playing. And the title aptly sums the awesomeness of the episode: Silent Night.
they may be copper,
annoying little coins! but,
they might be giants.
save your pandas: vote racecar!
MDB17
Lucid and deductive

Post by MDB17 »

it was alright
kellyj
Fourscore and seven

Post by kellyj »

Grr my speakers have been broken for about a month and havnet heard any of the new episodes. And this one sounds so good. im so happy that they did a christmas episode
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

mr.whit wrote:its great 5/5 even though ek isnt awsome
And mr. whit can spell and use grammar! Its like a paralell universe!