583: "The Champ of the Camp"

**SPOILERS**

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

How good was it?

5 Stars
34%
4 Stars
55%
3 Stars
6%
2 Stars
4%
1 Stars
No votes

Total votes: 47

STRYPER
Gone... but not Forgotten

Post by STRYPER »

Flyah wrote:Why not let Connie's nemesis just be Connie's nemesis. The 'moral' is lost as we giggle over googles. (Boy, that was cutesy, wasn't it?)
Especially since you spelled it wrong ;)

Shadowpaw, I think your point has some merit. Nathan is trying to fill in some Odyssey history. The problem is, Odyssey's history is sadly riveted with mistakes. There are inconsistencies all over the place and thus when someone tries to reference the past they inevitably bump up against those mistakes.

The question is, do we accept Nathan's work (and the entire writing team's for that matter) to attempt to fix these mistakes. Or do we stubbornly cling to what we know about Odyssey history - which is of course, flawed.

Nathan cannot go back into the past without contradicting what Phil and Paul wrote in the past but he can attempt to pick one side and help make that the new Odyssey history.

Of course if he mistakenly presents an entirely different alternative and thus creates an entirely new dillema then he is not being productive. But I don't see Champ of the Camp as non productive.

We can now assume (despite all of the various little mistakes and uncertainties in the past) that Eugene and Connie are around the same age and Champ of the Camp took place when they were around 14 (because of Shadowpaw's argument and we know that Connie came to Odyssey shortly after the divorce when she was 15).
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
Perfect man to bare my blame
On the Cross He took my sin
By His death I live again
Bennett
Someone's favorite

Post by Bennett »

STRYPER wrote:
Nathan cannot go back into the past without contradicting what Phil and Paul wrote in the past but he can attempt to pick one side and help make that the new Odyssey history.
That's a sentence that I absoletely agree with.

While Nathan Hoobler SHOULDN'T be recreating the history already made, I think it makes a nice addition to the series. We must take into consideration that this was rarely done before he came.

I don't think Odyssey should go to the past unless it's to clear up a mistake; or if an obvious storyline can come out of it.

Now, quite a bit of this past season has been based on returning on the past. Sure, I think it can be good. But I think Odyssey should progress forward; or else we won't go anywhere. I'm not big on change in Odyssey, but it's needed to move things along.

"Eugene's Father" storyline is an example of a perfect "hole" in the Odyssey past was perfect to fill-in. If we're discussing "Tales of a Small Town Thug", I wouldv'e enjoyed it if it was taken a different way. I doubt the real focus on that episode was to know what happened to Rusty, however, we never knew what happened to Rusty, and so, it made sense to let us know. I too found it ridiculous that he mentioned Liz. It was just such an ignorant fact that I just sighed and tried to ignore it.

BC
Nathan Hoobler
AIO Writer

Post by Nathan Hoobler »

Shadowpaw wrote:I thought it might make sense if Eugene was in a completely different camp... the one on the opposite side of the lake...
Connnie in 'The Champ of the Camp' wrote:The boys’ camp was on the other side of the creek. We weren’t supposed to cross the bridge to their side and they weren’t supposed to come to ours. But it never took long for one side to break that rule.
STRYPER
Gone... but not Forgotten

Post by STRYPER »

:(

I was hoping for a bit more than that when I saw he posted here ;)
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
Perfect man to bare my blame
On the Cross He took my sin
By His death I live again
Nathan Hoobler
AIO Writer

Post by Nathan Hoobler »

STRYPER wrote:I was hoping for a bit more than that when I saw he posted here ;)
How much more do you want? :D I'd be happy to answer any questions or explain our thinking on anything...

Oh, it might be worth mentioning that much of my part of the episode was based on experiences at these three camps:

http://jumonville.gospelcom.net/
http://www.whitehallcamp.org/
http://www.senecahills.org/

Notice the name of the first camp... I'd have to ask Kathy about where she got her stuff, since she figured out how to make this episode work.

Nathan
Me
An original

Post by Me »

And in the pic on the main page for camp Jumonville, there's a bridge! :shock:
Shadowpaw
Town Founder

Post by Shadowpaw »

Nathan Hoobler wrote:
Shadowpaw wrote:I thought it might make sense if Eugene was in a completely different camp... the one on the opposite side of the lake...
Connnie in 'The Champ of the Camp' wrote:The boys’ camp was on the other side of the creek. We weren’t supposed to cross the bridge to their side and they weren’t supposed to come to ours. But it never took long for one side to break that rule.
Well that still doesn't explain the part you cut out of my quote ;)...
Shadowpaw wrote:...the one on the opposite side of the lake, but since both of them refer to the camp by the same name, it had to be the same camp...
Why did both Eugene and Connie refer to the camp as "Camp Jumonville"? If they were different camps, wouldn't they have different names? Like I said, I figured there was a logical explantion, but having two different camps with the exact same name is really confusing.
Nathan Hoobler
AIO Writer

Post by Nathan Hoobler »

Shadowpaw wrote:That thought entered my head, but then why did both Eugene and Connie refer to the camp as "Camp Jumonville"? If they were different camps, wouldn't they have different names? Like I said, I figured there was a logical explantion, but having two different camps with the exact same name is really confusing.
At all of the camps that I went to, the Camp can actually be "rented" by several different organizations at the same time. For example, my church group was at Camp Jumonville in some of the cabins the same week that an adventure camp was in some of the other cabins. So our youth group would talk about our week at Camp Jumonville and the adventure camp would probably talk about their week at Camp Jumonville as well. I assume that many camps operate this way, but I don't really know. Any one else have a similar experience?

The prank war was actually something that happened every year at Seneca Hills and it was always boys against girls. Some of Ms. Belford's lines were from a lecture the boys got one night. The mystery meat was served on Thursday nights at Whitehall Camp. It was pretty scary.

Nathan
Shadowpaw
Town Founder

Post by Shadowpaw »

That explanation makes sense, it's just from my own camp experiences, all the camps had different names. At the base of mount Yumnuska, for example, we had both a Camp Chief Hector and a Camp Yumnuska. They shared the exact same facilities, but had different names because they served different purposes.

One great thing about Odyssey though is that unlike nearly every other form of entertainment, we don't get an explanation from the people who made the decisions.
Nathan Hoobler
AIO Writer

Post by Nathan Hoobler »

Shadowpaw wrote:One great thing about Odyssey though is that unlike nearly every other form of entertainment, we don't get an explanation from the people who made the decisions.
I'm not quite sure what you mean, but I think Odyssey is great, too! :D
Shadowpaw
Town Founder

Post by Shadowpaw »

Nathan Hoobler wrote:I'm not quite sure what you mean, but I think Odyssey is great, too! :D
Haha, what I mean is that if we critique a television show on a forum like this... maybe 24, Alias, Lost or something along those lines, we are left to determine what the writers were thinking for ourselves. But with AIO, we get answers from the people who work on the show.
JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

Nathan Hoobler wrote:
Shadowpaw wrote:That thought entered my head, but then why did both Eugene and Connie refer to the camp as "Camp Jumonville"? If they were different camps, wouldn't they have different names? Like I said, I figured there was a logical explantion, but having two different camps with the exact same name is really confusing.
At all of the camps that I went to, the Camp can actually be "rented" by several different organizations at the same time. For example, my church group was at Camp Jumonville in some of the cabins the same week that an adventure camp was in some of the other cabins. So our youth group would talk about our week at Camp Jumonville and the adventure camp would probably talk about their week at Camp Jumonville as well. I assume that many camps operate this way, but I don't really know. Any one else have a similar experience?

The prank war was actually something that happened every year at Seneca Hills and it was always boys against girls. Some of Ms. Belford's lines were from a lecture the boys got one night. The mystery meat was served on Thursday nights at Whitehall Camp. It was pretty scary.

Nathan
That's how most of my camps worked as well. Everyone else must just be weird, or wrong ;)

(:neener: <----at Corey) \:D/
A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ that a man would have to seek Him to find her.

JF, JesusFreak777, and JF777 are all copyrighted by this user. Any violators will be fined and prosecuted. Thank you.
MDB17
Lucid and deductive

Post by MDB17 »

it was pretty good but i geussed that eugen was goggle before he said it.
Bennett
Someone's favorite

Post by Bennett »

Shadowpaw wrote:
Nathan Hoobler wrote:I'm not quite sure what you mean, but I think Odyssey is great, too! :D
Haha, what I mean is that if we critique a television show on a forum like this... maybe 24, Alias, Lost or something along those lines, we are left to determine what the writers were thinking for ourselves. But with AIO, we get answers from the people who work on the show.
I didn't get what you meant last night when I was reading, also. Its just because you wrote the contrary yesterday without meaning to:
Shadowpaw wrote: One great thing about Odyssey though is that unlike nearly every other form of entertainment, we don't get an explanation from the people who made the decisions.
BC
Last edited by Bennett on Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shadowpaw
Town Founder

Post by Shadowpaw »

Haha, whoops ;). Thanks for pointing out my mistake!
Bennett
Someone's favorite

Post by Bennett »

Shadowpaw wrote:Haha, whoops ;). Thanks for pointing out my mistake!
I wasn't doing it for you. I was just trying to build up my self-esteem. \:D/

:)

BC
poWerbOy
If posts were pigs...

Post by poWerbOy »

I enjoyed the episode despite minor inconsitencies. As soon as I heard that"some smart kid noticed something wrong with the vents" I guessed that it could be Eugene and then when they called him Goggles i knew it. But I think the writers did a good job of keeping Goggles and Connie from ever actually meeting, so it makes it much more believable.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

When Eugene was introduced to Odyssey, he didn't seem to be much older than Connie. Maybe 19 to her 16. :-k The problem is that Eugene grew up faster than Connie did, theoretically widening that age gap, especially when we learned that Eugene was 28 1/2 recently.
Trinarius
If posts were pigs...

Post by Trinarius »

I thought this episode was a good season opener! Although it would have been nice if more focus could have been put on the boy's side of the camp, I still enjoyed it. It's cool how this show went into the past and gave us a glimpse of Connie and Eugene's younger days, even though some of it was overly silly. ;) I'm looking forward to a great season! :D

3/5 Stars
-Josh

Trinarius is back. Kind of.
Angel Bob
insert dash here

Post by Angel Bob »

As the new season is starting, I'm thinking a lot about the previous one. We had only a few outstanding episodes (Prisoners of Fear, Silent Night, maybe A Christmas Conundrum), and many...well...average ones. Tales of a Small Town Thug was perhaps the most disappointing, not only because of its continuing the tradition of constant references to Odyssey's past, but also treatment of characters. That show reflected one of my main concerns about the current episodes: now that Eugene is back, he seems to be overused. Does anyone notice that Chris says "Will Ryan as Eugene" (emphasis added) on all the recent shows? (At least I think it's all the recent shows...I may be wrong. ;)) Tales of a Small Town Thug was a bad episode simply because Eugene was almost, in a way, replacing Whit. I think there are characters that can give advice and help to the Odyssey kids (Connie and Wooton come to mind, and sometimes Eugune does it well), but this episode had too much of a "bouncy" feel for any of it to work...which really reminded me of the horrible Spring 2000 season. :(

But now it's a new year and a new season! And this first episode was what I've been looking for in recent AIO - it's a "normal" show with a great (albeit simple and corny ;)) storyline and a good moral. I suppose we can dub this "Classic AIO." :) The way Eugene is used in this episode is exactly the way he should be used - as a supporting character with humorous dialogue and contributions to the moral of the show. I found it to be an interesting twist when Connie didn't find out what happened to Eugene until the present day.

This entire episode really reminded me of Connie Goes to Camp. :) We hear about rivalries between the girls' and boys' cabins, which are pretty fun to listen to. We also cut back and forth between the present and past - a technique which is used very effectively in this show. Or how about the scene where Connie sneaks out of the cabin and gets stopped by the counsellor? :) It really reminded me of Lucy and Mrs. Needlebark...

There are only two qualms: first, the voices of Connie and her friends. I couldn't really distinguish between Connie and Marcy most of the time. :( Second was Eugene's revelation: "I...am *Goggles*!" It just sounded too corny and...plain, I guess. But even though much of the episode was corny, it seemed to know that it was silly and used that to its advantage. :)

I'm really looking forward to the next several weeks. :) I still need to listen to Dead Ends, which sounds like a very interesting episode. Let's brace ourselves for an awesome season!!

(7 out of 10)

nn