584: "Dead Ends"

**SPOILERS**

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

What do you rate "Dead Ends?"

5 Stars
45%
4 Stars
47%
3 Stars
8%
2 Stars
No votes
1 Star
No votes

Total votes: 38

Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

Post by Evil Chick »

Maybe the guy at the end wasn't Leonard at all. It was probably another guy who was held hostage at an archeological dig in Africa for 20 years, and his wife died there, but he didn't have kids. Now Leonard's going to meet him, and tell him that he can understand!

:anxious:
May Zarkouni Live Forever! :goomba:
Well, Washington has been gratuitously compensated like forever by the credit companies.
dancer02248
I've been working out

Post by dancer02248 »

so I didn't read all of the posts in this thread, but I read some, and saw people thought Leonard seemed sinister.

However, I though he seemed nice, and there was a definite sadness in his voice when he spoke of not having children. I think maybe he's in some sort of protection program, and doesn't want to anyone to know about Eugene, or there was something that happened before Leonard left for Africa, like he promised Eugene's foster parents that he would stay out of his life, or something wierd. Or maybe he's dying?!?

There is deffinitely something going on there, and i'm nearly positive that he remembers Eugene, and has a good reason not to tell anyone about him or look for him.
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

Chandler wrote:Cons: Katrina. I've said it many times and I'll say it again--I don't disrespect the actress or her ability. She just doesn't fit well! ](*,) I wouldn't mind so much if that's just the way she was but that's not the Katrina I knew for so many years. Her whole attitude and way of addressing Eugene is so different. Oh yeah, and I've also pointed out that she sounds like a perpetual grouch. She seems so emotional and out of sorts when talking to Eugene.
One of the main attributes I remember from the Katrina of old is intelligence. Perhaps the writers should consider making her sound smarter...and a little more good-naturedness couldn't hurt, either.
dancer02248 wrote:so I didn't read all of the posts in this thread, but I read some, and saw people thought Leonard seemed sinister.

However, I though he seemed nice, and there was a definite sadness in his voice when he spoke of not having children. I think maybe he's in some sort of protection program, and doesn't want to anyone to know about Eugene, or there was something that happened before Leonard left for Africa, like he promised Eugene's foster parents that he would stay out of his life, or something wierd. Or maybe he's dying?!?

There is deffinitely something going on there, and i'm nearly positive that he remembers Eugene, and has a good reason not to tell anyone about him or look for him.
Though my gut feeling was evilness, that's something to consider.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I forgot to post the most important thing that I noticed when listening to this ep on Oneplace - the ad! \:D/ Was I the only one who found it hilarious that Steven Curtis Chapman was on a Narnia ad during AIO? I thought that it was the perfect tribute to our favourite webmaster! ;)
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

I wrote a review last Thursday night and am not happy with the finished result, so I'll just say I liked it.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Catspaw wrote:I forgot to post the most important thing that I noticed when listening to this ep on Oneplace - the ad! \:D/ Was I the only one who found it hilarious that Steven Curtis Chapman was on a Narnia ad during AIO? I thought that it was the perfect tribute to our favourite webmaster! ;)
Yes, I noticed it and was thinking the same thing. ;)
Samitude
Pilgrim

Post by Samitude »

I don't think the actress for Katrina is the problem. I think it's the lines they are giving her. They could give her something happier to say and direct her better.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Samitude wrote:I don't think the actress for Katrina is the problem. I think it's the lines they are giving her. They could give her something happier to say and direct her better.
But until they do that's going to be the reason people will naturally cling to.
Thursday Next
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Thursday Next »

Here's my reivew

http://www.geocities.com/aiofan_2004/Eugene.htm

I know most of you have read the bulk of this when Prisoner's of Fear came out, but I'm doing this to keep track of where we've been and where we have to go in this Quest.

Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Samitude wrote:I don't think the actress for Katrina is the problem. I think it's the lines they are giving her. They could give her something happier to say and direct her better.
The lines do play a part. It's different writers so change is unavoidable. :-? I've thought it over and I think at least some of what I'm having trouble with is the acting itself. Again, I'm not being hard on the actress because she's not the person I'm comparing her too. I just wish they'd found a better fit. Or, dare I say it... just used Pamela Hayden! :anxious:
poWerbOy
If posts were pigs...

Post by poWerbOy »

Evil Chick wrote:Maybe the guy at the end wasn't Leonard at all. It was probably another guy who was held hostage at an archeological dig in Africa for 20 years, and his wife died there, but he didn't have kids. Now Leonard's going to meet him, and tell him that he can understand!

:anxious:
I would pull out my hair if that were the case.
dancer02248
I've been working out

Post by dancer02248 »

Chandler wrote:
Catspaw wrote:I forgot to post the most important thing that I noticed when listening to this ep on Oneplace - the ad! \:D/ Was I the only one who found it hilarious that Steven Curtis Chapman was on a Narnia ad during AIO? I thought that it was the perfect tribute to our favourite webmaster! ;)
I definitely noticed that! every time I listened to it, I luaghed inside....
STRYPER
Gone... but not Forgotten

Post by STRYPER »

Chandler wrote:I know that Eugene is eccentric, but if they raised him from 7-18 wouldn't he consider them his "family," especially since they seemed like nice people? In the past, we were led to visualize him with no family at all, just a government pushing him through high school and college at a young age. He claimed in "The Visitors" to have nowhere to go for Christmas yet here's his foster family that he left only a couple years before within driving distance. I know he didn't drive back then and maybe he was broke but I'm sure they would have found some way to have him there. He also had left his stuff there, apparently planning to get it someday when he had space for it. Is it even common for a foster family to have a child for 10 years? :-k My experiences with this kind of thing are that children move around more often or they're adopted. Oh well, we can't go back and rewrite old shows. I was happy with the Burnetts and their quirks so I guess I can't complain too much.
Eugene's methods. He's been back in Odyssey for several months now, I think and he's been level-headed since he regained his memory. Why is he doing something so irrational as calling a guy with a similar surname and expecting him to know about his dad? ](*,)
I agree with just about everything but one minor detail...
In Last in a Long Line Eugene says that once he entered college his legal guardians became the state. This would mean that he was only with his foster parents for 5-6 years, not 10-11.
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
Perfect man to bare my blame
On the Cross He took my sin
By His death I live again
Frank
Little Old Bird Woman
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'till morning!

Post by Frank »

Chandler wrote:
I was soo thinking that all during that commercial! Haha! Yesh! *loves Shadowpaw* :inlove:

Oh, and I heard the ep for the first time today...and found it really applicable to my own life. (Different people have come and go...and yeah, it's amazing how oppurtune their time with me was. :-k )
Erm...why are all generic AIO men named Frank?!?!?!?! Crazy!

It was a good ep. :D Especially the music at the end. *tears up from fond memories* I can't wait to find out who the mysterious man was at the end! Long live Leonard Meltsner! (And Mr. Meltsoir...whomever he was. \:D/ )
snowflake
Found

Post by snowflake »

Chandler wrote:Cons: Katrina. I've said it many times and I'll say it again--I don't disrespect the actress or her ability. She just doesn't fit well! ](*,) I wouldn't mind so much if that's just the way she was but that's not the Katrina I knew for so many years. Her whole attitude and way of addressing Eugene is so different. Oh yeah, and I've also pointed out that she sounds like a perpetual grouch. She seems so emotional and out of sorts when talking to Eugene.
I agree...every episode with Katrina sort of annoys me...it's not that the actor herself is bad...you sometimes have to change the voice of a character and normally that's okay. In this case though, not only did her voice change, her entire character changed. She used to be as "intellectual" as Eugene and now (no offense) she sounds dumb....she's so "Eugene what are you doing?" when he's doing chemistry and stuff.....as my sister said "she normally would be joining him not asking what he was doing!" I really liked the ending with Eugene's dad..I didn't even think about him being the "next bad guy" or anything. I did think about him losing his memory though.

Thanks Lucy Pevensie for my awsome avatar and signature!!!

Yes, I know it's no longer Christmas but right after I change it it will be again so just get over it...
emmalee08
Lurker

Post by emmalee08 »

Chandler wrote: Cons: Katrina. I've said it many times and I'll say it again--I don't disrespect the actress or her ability. She just doesn't fit well! ](*,) I wouldn't mind so much if that's just the way she was but that's not the Katrina I knew for so many years. Her whole attitude and way of addressing Eugene is so different. Oh yeah, and I've also pointed out that she sounds like a perpetual grouch. She seems so emotional and out of sorts when talking to Eugene.
](*,)
I couldn't agree more. I loved the episode and give it a 4.5/5 easy but I just can't get over losing the Katrina that Eugene fell in love with. They just don't go together anymore and its really hard to get over. It was bad enough when they dissapeared but now she's back and it's just not the same.

*Okay I should have read page two before I comminted but you get the picture
AioMan
Catspaw Rocks!
Location: The Imagination Station, Whit's End, Mcallister Park, Odyssey, Ohio, United States, North America

Post by AioMan »

I wish they could get the old Katrina back.
Whit: The Best is yet to come. (from "A Prayer for George Barclay" and "Gone.....")

Eugene: Impossible! Prepositions are not words that I end sentences with! (from "Poor Loser")

Arthur Dent: Operation: Thinktank will enslave the human race. Would you like a muffin? (from "Box of Miracles")
the_newfie_haystack
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by the_newfie_haystack »

I liked this episode a lot because of the statement Eugene made at the end about Whit being a fatherly figure. I also liked the scene at the end of the episode about Eugene's father. Dun dun dun! :D
Ferder
Pilgrim

Post by Ferder »

This is the first ep in a long time that I actually found quite interesting. One of the best things about it was that it wasn't afraid to explore some intriging emtional territory such as Eugene's frustration and sadness, the bitterness of Eugene's stepfather and the great mystery that is Meltsner Sr.
MeleahR
I'm fifteen, mom!

Post by MeleahR »

this episode actually made me cry...and I don't cry easily hah.

I think its great how they're delving deeper into the emotional side of Eugene.

good episode.