567: "Two Friends and a Truck"

**SPOILERS**

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

What did you think of "Two Friends and a Truck"?

5 Stars - A new favorite episode!
46%
4 Stars - Enjoyable but seemed to lack something
38%
3 Stars - A satisfactory episode
12%
2 Stars - It reminded me of an artificially-induced pine scent
2%
1 Star - This episode mutilated my respect for AIO
2%

Total votes: 50

Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Trent DeWhite wrote:
Jonathan wrote:I'll post my full review later (probably tomorrow). I will say though that I liked it.
Excellent. I'm glad I'm not the only AIO freak who habitually spends a decent amount of time writing full-length reviews. :anxious:
I also like that fact. The only reason I haven't reviewed this one is b/c I've been relaxing today, well, not really, but I haven't done anything outside of work that I feel compelled to do. Well, for the most part. That and I haven't listened to it in a few days. Wow I'm making no sense...
rachelavonlea
Hexadecimal teenager

Post by rachelavonlea »

I might listen to a Odyssey, or listen to a song, or a movie once and think " I like it". But when I listen to it more I think, "I really like it!"

I think that is how 2F&T will be for me. I loved hearing it the 1st time, and I have a feeling there are still a lot of things I think I still can find in it. It will be great to discover them. In all the worry over making episodes totally understandable to AIO newbies, I am afraid episodes can be rather shallow, and not re-listen-able. Like you've heard it once, and you don't need to hear it again. I am so glad that is not the case today!

It was so enjoyable. Like taking a swim in warm water. I too enjoyed all the many AIO innuendos.

It was funny too. I liked the part when Bernard is talking about buying a truck with "all the bells and whistles", and if you listen close Eugene walks in whistling and tripping the bell above the door. :)

I was thinking, "Bernard is being noticeably unkind this episode", and was glad when that was the point. And that he learned his lesson. Although I really, really like Bernard, he is very crabby and sometimes even down un-Christian in manner. It’s nice to hear him genuinely sorry about being mean to Eugene. I also loved how maturely Eugene acted when he didn’t even tell Bernard it was his fault the truck rolled down the hill. Offering to pay for the damages to his own car was a little over the top though. That didn’t make as much sense to me.

In all the talk about Eugene's car starting off being sub-par, and Bernard having to pay big bucks to get it back to that sub-par state, I was thinking he should have just bought Eugene a new used (get it?) car to be nice, (and not to waste $$ fixing up the old one). In fact when Bernard gave the keys to Eugene at the end, I was so happy. I thought "Yes! What an awesome thing for Bernard to do! Giving him his truck as a awesome gesture!"

So, that wasn’t how it worked out. Nevertheless, I loved the episode, and gave it a 5. I think it is the best ep this year, at the least.

Good Job Odyssey!,

Rachel

I
-Rachel

"The victory is mine when the battle is the Lord's!"
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

I never imagined in my wildest dreams that the return of Eugene would automatically up the quality of the show. Of course it helps that Nathan Hoobler wrote the first episode after Something Big, and he is now easily my favorite current writer. He keeps things real, relies on good or tense dialogue (which is neccessary to a radio series), and even applied the story to a verse and/or the Bible. I was impressed.

Even Whit, a character I haven’t been too impressed with recently, sounded like, well, himself. Actually, the acting was superb, which is mainly due to the writing. Connie is another example of a character I haven’t been too overly impressed with recently, but she was terrific here. As was Eugene, and Bernard.

Ah, Bernard. He not only had great lines and acted very Bernard like (a good thing), but his bad attitude was not only addressed, but we saw the character not only be corrected (by Whit!) but learn from his mistake and apologize for his problem attitude!

Is this 2005? I can scarcely believe it. Sounds more like 1995 to me. I can now forget again that Odyssey isn’t real.

Another plus was the sound effects. I’ve been in car garages before, and the sound effects over the phone was very real.

So why did this episode succeed? Because of the writing. Over the last several years the AIO team has forgotten that a series like this, where we know and love the characters as much as we do, dialogue is what makes the episode. Not goofy sounds, or silly stories, or stupid jokes (if I never hear another underwear joke on AIO it’ll be too soon), it’s realistic stories and good dialogue. And as a Christian show throwing in Biblical application completes the episode. And Nathan Hoobler followed that formula to the letter. It's what made those early years (1989-1998) that made the show so great. It's what makes it hard for us to remember that Odyssey isn't a real town. I’m hoping the rest of the team follows the example this episode set because if they do the series can only continue to improve.

B/C I don’t really like to give a new ep a perfect rating (as it hasn’t stood the test of time, though I’m sure this one will) and b/c it was only a slice of life ep and not a well done earth shattering episode, I’m giving it 4/5.

But it was perfect anyhow.

-Jonathan
Last edited by Jonathan on Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

Post by Evil Chick »

I really enjoyed this episode. It was indeed classic Odyssey. Eugene and Bernard together, how can it get any better? However, as has already been mentioned, they repeated lines from previous shows. ("You're the only guy I know who can ruin gratitude by saying thank you" and the lines about the good smells of a pick-up). That kinda annoyed me, because it seemed to be a "well, it worked once, so it'll work again" attitude. I personally don't care for that. But, other than that I found it perfect! Wow! But, I still give it 4/5 stars.
Last edited by Evil Chick on Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Christian Cowgirl
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Christian Cowgirl »

Wow, everyone here loved it... I didn't particularly find it that intersting. The lines from old shows are good in the old shows, I was annoyed they were brought up again. The whole moral is used and worn out. I'd give it a 2/5, hopefuly the next ones will be a little more natural.
I never make mistakes. I thought I did once, but I was wrong.
Me
An original

Post by Me »

It was a good ep. The only problems I had with it were quite unimportant, and didn't mar my enjoyment of the ep at all. The situations and dialogue were both good, and it was excellent to see Whit in an active role for once. Like Jonathan, I must concur that this ep seemed like 1995. A classic. 4/5
jollyholiday
I'm a teapot

Post by jollyholiday »

Loved it.
Bells and Whistles. Great writing and production.
-jolly
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

And all this time I thought that Eugene didn't have any fashion sense. Who would have thought? ;) The vest thing was great! I loved the repeat lines from the past that helped me feel like it really was Bernard and Eugene interacting, and life was once again normal in my Odyessian universe. It was a good feeling.

While nothing particularly exciting or dramatic happened, that was part of it's charm. Nobody needed saving; there was no big plotline. There were (somewhat) normal people having (somewhat) normal things happen to them, and they learned from them, while having some humorous moments in the process. Nathan Hoobler really made it feel like a classic, one of those eps that make you feel good listening to them, one that is relevant to your life without feeling forced.

Does anybody know if Katrina was supposed to be in it, and they wrote her out because of the missing Pamela Hayden? It seemed a little weird that she was never around, since she was moving into the house with Eugene as well, presumably.

Overall, I loved it! Fun for the whole family that makes me want to go out and buy a pine-scented car air freshner!

Nathan Hoobler is my hero! \:D/
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Catspaw wrote:While nothing particularly exciting or dramatic happened, that was part of it's charm. Nobody needed saving; there was no big plotline. There were (somewhat) normal people having (somewhat) normal things happen to them, and they learned from them, while having some humorous moments in the process. Nathan Hoobler really made it feel like a classic, one of those eps that make you feel good listening to them, one that is relevant to your life without feeling forced.
Yes yes yes! And that is what's been missing for over five years (closer to seven if you ask me)! That is the formula that makes episodes work!

-Jonathan
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

I agree, that is the correst formula
Let's all clap for Nathan Hoobler! =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader:
...I hate marquees.
Christian Cowgirl

Boooo. I still say it was unnatural and the story line was horrible. :demonstration:
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Christian Cowgirl wrote:Boooo. I still say it was unnatural and the story line was horrible. :demonstration:
And why do you say that? I'm not being rude, I'm honestly curious.

-Jonathan
Christian Cowgirl

Jonathan wrote: And why do you say that? I'm not being rude, I'm honestly curious.

-Jonathan
I really didn't like it that much.
Christian Cowgirl wrote:Wow, everyone here loved it... I didn't particularly find it that intersting. The lines from old shows are good in the old shows, I was annoyed they were brought up again. The whole moral is used and worn out. I'd give it a 2/5, hopefuly the next ones will be a little more natural.
It didn't feel right to me some how. No funny lines, except for the used ones... What was the moral anyway?
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Christian Cowgirl wrote:It didn't feel right to me some how. No funny lines, except for the used ones... What was the moral anyway?
At the end, Chris the Cheerful One explained how we should demonstrate mercy to those who don't treat us kindly. I felt it was quite evident from the story that Bernard was exemplifying the unforgiving man in Matthew 18:21-33. How can we expect God to forgive us if we won't forgive others? Or, how can Bernard expect Eugene to forgive him if he does not forgive Eugene? :anxious:
Last edited by Trent DeWhite on Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
AIOfan11
Younger than you

Post by AIOfan11 »

I don't know why I haven't already posted in this topic.

I thought it was good. It feels really good having Eugene back. He truly makes the show. There seemed to be something missing in this episode, but I don't know what it is. Maybe I just need to listen to it again and then I won't feel that way.

Thank you Will Ryan for coming back!
Thursday Next
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Thursday Next »

For me it none of the lines seemed unnatural. I loved the entire show I didn't realize until this show how much Eugene brought to the show. I'm very glad he's back.
Christian Cowgirl

Trent DeWhite wrote: How can we except God to forgive us if we won't forgive others?
Thats just it, we are forgiven. Totally. Its not a conditional thing.
Trent DeWhite wrote:Or, how can Bernard expect Eugene to forgive him if he does not forgive Eugene? :anxious:
This I could see because of course they are humans. But on the other hand are we only to forgive if the person asks forgivness of a different wrong? No, we also are to have unconditional love and forgivness.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Christian Cowgirl wrote:
Trent DeWhite wrote: How can we except God to forgive us if we won't forgive others?
Blah, forgive the typo. :oops:

:: edit ::
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Christian Cowgirl

Trent DeWhite wrote:
Christian Cowgirl wrote:
Blah, forgive the typo. :oops:

:: edit ::
:D Your forgiven Trent!
rachelavonlea
Hexadecimal teenager

Post by rachelavonlea »

How can we expect God to forgive us if we won't forgive others?
That’s just it, we are forgiven. Totally. Its not a conditional thing.
Read "Our Father" again and get to the part where Jesus talks about forgiving debts/transgressions, then post again, K?

Contrary to a popular notion these days, Christians do have to be Christians to be Christians.
-Rachel

"The victory is mine when the battle is the Lord's!"