567: "Two Friends and a Truck"

**SPOILERS**

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

What did you think of "Two Friends and a Truck"?

5 Stars - A new favorite episode!
46%
4 Stars - Enjoyable but seemed to lack something
38%
3 Stars - A satisfactory episode
12%
2 Stars - It reminded me of an artificially-induced pine scent
2%
1 Star - This episode mutilated my respect for AIO
2%

Total votes: 50

Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

567: "Two Friends and a Truck"

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Okay, now that the official Eastern Daylight Time clock has passed midnight, you may all voice your opinions. If that's okay with Shadowpaw. :anxious: If you have not yet heard it, you might want to listen to it here before reading any further. For those who have already listened to the latest episode, post your thoughts and reviews here!
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I'm not one for lengthy reviews... but anyway, I think I liked it better than the last three episodes! Felt like "classic" Odyssey.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

If I didn't have to get up early tomorrow I might have written a lengthy post about this... :^o

I liked the show! :D Having Eugene in there was just... wonderful. I didn't realize how much he was missing until I heard this show.
The AIO team again takes us on walks down memory lane especially when Eugene and Bernard were in the new truck reliving their road trip.
The continuity was good too. We heard from Wankel's automotive which we heard in "No Way Out/In" and also from Honest Erwin heard in "Here Today, Gone Tomorrow?" =D>
It was a relief not to hear Katrina... :anxious: I just can't stand the new voice. ](*,)

Hopefully more to come. O:)
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

Wow, after the disappointment of last week, this was a good episode. It made me think of the older AIO episodes. I gave it four stars.
Frodo
Classic

Post by Frodo »

I loved it!
Priscilla

<><
Padme Solo
Gold Member

Post by Padme Solo »

I agree, it did seems more like a 'classic' odyssey show. Nathan Hoobler did a REALLY good job. It was really funny!
HarlowRoxMySox
Smile for the camera

Post by HarlowRoxMySox »

I love the classic AIO feel, the clashing between Eugene and Bernard is classic and its one of the things I've missed. The clashing between Bernard and Wooton was funny, but just not the same (ie: Basset Hounds). It had a clever script (like always) and I'm glad they didn't dwell on Eugene having lost his memories. That's one thing I was afraid of: that they would spend a while dwelling on the fact that Eugene had lost his memories. But they pleasently surprised me in having him be instantly back to his normal self with only one short remark about his "noggin". A great, comedic episode and I loved it! 5 stars!
Do any of YOU know how to make hand shadows?

Kathrine Doyle is my dorky little sister... JK... kinda ^o^
My awsome Avatar & Sig were illustrated by a friend named Navi!
Manda
Someone's favorite

Post by Manda »

Not to mime what everyone has already said, bu, I too enjoyed it, it did feel like an old classic (no doubt the presence of Eugenen helped by buckets). The kind that gives one a warm feeling! :-)
Paul B
OK

Post by Paul B »

They talk about the last time eugene and bernard got his truck.There was a great show to.we also find out what kind of car euene drives.A saturn.I wonder if this is the same car he had during the perfect whitness epiosode.when his car was stolden? :D
crosskritters
Fourscore and seven

Post by crosskritters »

Oh thank you for bringing up A Perfect Witness. I had Eugene's voice playing in my head saying my car" and I could not place it. Now I reolized that's where he said it. That's off topic.

4.5 I love classic AIO. I never really enjoyed Novacom that much and the new kids are not nearly as great as the old ones (nothing can compare with the Barclays). It seems like they're trying to get a fresh start into classic AIO YAY!!! I was afraid that the when Eugene lost his memory that AIO would become more Sci-Fi then ever, but it didn't. YAY!!

--Kat
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Paul B wrote:A saturn.I wonder if this is the same car he had during the perfect whitness epiosode.when his car was stolden? :D
Haha when I was listening to the show and Eugene went to Wankel's Automotive asking about the car I could tell where it was heading when he was clarifying which car it was. I turned to my brother and said "Now we get to hear what kind of car Eugene has." :) Sure enough they said.
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

It was great!!! I loved it!! It was good to hear a nice slice of life episode with Eugene back. As everyone else has said - it was classic Odyssey!

5 stars
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
chexfan2000
Gold Member

Post by chexfan2000 »

YAYAYAYAYAYAYAY!!!

Ok, that was an intensely immature way of showing glee. Still, it was a really, really, really great episode. Now if we can just about 'bout a gazillion more of these...
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Two Friends and a Truck

Definitely an enjoyable and amusing episode. It felt like yet another 'classic' day in the life of Odyssey. After a rather traumatic three-parter to continue Album 44, it was good being able to hear a more 'normal' episode. Eugene was back, being his normal, geeky, and somewhat clumsy self--contary to his rather awkward temperament in the past three episodes. And his relationship with Bernard has never been better. :lol: I also enjoyed the fact that entire episode was pretty much a complete parody to the album "Wish You Were Here," as we heard made many notable references to Eugene and Bernard's road trip together. For the dedicated Odyssey fan like myself, it was quite a treat to hear familiar quotes reiterated in this particular episode:

First, we heard Eugene remind us of that the Bernard's "old" truck was purchased in San Diego. Next, Bernard used the line, "It's a matter of principle" from the episode, Third Degree. Then we heard Bernard using the quote, "You're the only guy I know who could ruin an apology by saying I'm sorry," closely paralleling, "You're the only guy who could run gratitude by saying thank you," a line he spoke to Eugene in Roomates. Finally, Bernard reused the line, "There's nothing like the smell of a new pickup truck," in reference to the episode The Fifth House on the Left, Part I. This cued up the appropriate and laugh-inducing line with which Eugene answered: "That still reminds me of artificially-induced pine scent."

:hilarious:

I loved Bernard's attempt at trying to emulate Eugene's mannerisms. "Should I have spoken in words you understand and said, 'Kindly refrain from mutilating my vehicle.'" :lol:

This episode flawlessly re-established that humorous, love-hate relationship between Eugene and Bernard. Great introduction and use of the character, "Leon," also. Although he's obviously a flat character from whom we'll only hear once or twice more, I loved how he was used throughout the episode. :) The misunderstandings brought back memories of the ironic twists from Gifts from Madge and Guy and humorous presumptions from Naturally, I Assumed . . . :lol: Overall, Nathan Hoobler did a fantastic job with the script. He integrated Eugene's character quite smoothly into Odyssey with only one small reference to the previous three episodes. Kudos to Nathan for not highlighting the events from the preceding episodes, as it would've detracted from the overall humor and flow of this particular episode. As my sister and I listened to Two Friends and a Truck, my sister commented that it felt like a regular episode. Indeed, like I already commented, Nathan did a marvelous job bringing back Eugene without the somewhat awkward reintroduction to Whit in "It's a Wrap!" :-k I also appreciated how Nathan was able to tie the whole episode back to an important Biblical theme: mercy and forgiveness. :)

Just to clarify any misconceptions, I did enjoy the episode. I give it five stars for its excellent storyline, humorous quotes, and underlying Christian theme. \:D/
Last edited by Trent DeWhite on Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Bmuntz
Former Mayor

Post by Bmuntz »

I liked it but it didn't hit a home run with me. I enjoyed it and it had a good theme but didn't score the hat trick in the end. It was close but the golf ball didn't make it in for the hole in one. It seemed to normal for Odyssey. I know that is what they were going for but it just wasn't a slam dunk with me. To sum up that post the ep just wasn't a touchdown.

4/5
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Bmuntz wrote:I liked it but it didn't hit a home run with me. I enjoyed it and it had a good theme but didn't score the hat trick in the end. It was close but the golf ball didn't make it in for the hole in one. It seemed to normal for Odyssey. I know that is what they were going for but it just wasn't a slam dunk with me. To sum up that post the ep just wasn't a touchdown.

4/5
It was a triple not a homer? ;)
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Bmuntz wrote:I liked it but it didn't hit a home run with me. I enjoyed it and it had a good theme but didn't score the hat trick in the end. It was close but the golf ball didn't make it in for the hole in one. It seemed to normal for Odyssey. I know that is what they were going for but it just wasn't a slam dunk with me. To sum up that post the ep just wasn't a touchdown.

4/5
You just got done reading the long post topic, didn't you?

I'll post my full review later (probably tomorrow). I will say though that I liked it.

-Jonathan
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Jonathan wrote:I'll post my full review later (probably tomorrow). I will say though that I liked it.
Excellent. I'm glad I'm not the only AIO freak who habitually spends a decent amount of time writing full-length reviews. :anxious:
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Trent DeWhite wrote:
Jonathan wrote:I'll post my full review later (probably tomorrow). I will say though that I liked it.
Excellent. I'm glad I'm not the only AIO freak who habitually spends a decent amount of time writing full-length reviews. :anxious:
Even if you were the only one I'd beg you to keep it up. I like reading those reviews. =D>
One I Froggy
My posts are revolutionary

Post by One I Froggy »

I really liked it and agreed with everyone who said its sounds like classic odyssey. It was funny, smart, and not heavy. I was kind of disappointed in the last few weeks, and I was hoping to get back to normal characters instead of secret agents and such.
I loved how they made references to when Eugene and Bernard went to california. It was a great way to show eugene was really back. And the bit with connie asking eugene about his sweater vests.
The thing I noticed, was that Bernard says "Youre the only guy I know who can ruin an apology by saying your sorry" to eugene. I just listened to Roommates, and Bernard says "Youre the only guy I know who can ruin gratitude by saying thank you" I just thought it was funny that i listened to that who rite before this one and bernard had the same sayings. Kinda cute how him and eugene always seem to be in a little conflict.
So....I give it 5 stars. It made me laugh, and im glad eugene is back.

Edit: Wow, i didnt even read Trents review before I posted that about bernards lines from roommates. Im glad Im not the only one who picked up on that...next time Ill read all the posts before I post one :anxious: myself. :anxious: