585: "The Poor Rich Guy"

**SPOILERS**

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

How'd you like this ep?

5 stars!
32%
4 stars!
45%
3 stars!
19%
2 stars!
3%
1 star!
No votes
0 stars!
No votes

Total votes: 31

DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

Well, that was almost telling you, but it wasn't as telling as actually saying it.
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

Yes it was, we are told in that episode that he writes it.
...I hate marquees.
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

*goes off screaming*
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
Me
An original

Post by Me »

DanP740 wrote:Well, that was almost telling you, but it wasn't as telling as actually saying it.
I don't see how "Your Grandma and I are very proud of your Powerboy comics" is any different than actually saying it. It was, in actuality, said.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Not to mention Wooton's reply asking him to keep it a secret.
someone
Hexadecimal teenager

Post by someone »

I liked it. Some part's were really funny...but there were some fillers such as Wooten chasing..I think it was Grady...lol..l I was half asleep... but all in all it was ok.
Never on weekdays.
Oba-rai
Blackgaard Prankster
Blackgaard Prankster

Post by Oba-rai »

Gave it 5/5. This episode is pricelessly hilarious, complete with the great endings we've come to love AIO for. I just can't wait 'til Grady becomes a Christian!

Marvin sounded like the actor was getting older! *sing song* Marvin's growing, Marvin's growing! \:D/
they may be copper,
annoying little coins! but,
they might be giants.
save your pandas: vote racecar!
Thursday Next
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Thursday Next »

My review can be read here: http://www.geocities.com/aiofan_2004/poor.htm

Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

The review has finally arrived:

I hate laundry too....

Yep. That’s the only line I liked in the first scene. There were two big things I dislike; 1. It seems like Grady is now in every ep that Wooton is in. And for some reason that fact annoyed me in the first scene. 2. I am amazed and astounding that an underwear joke was included after fans have complained so much about them in the past (and I know they didn‘t say underwear, but considering how they’ve used the word ‘whites’ in the past, I believe I’m justified in my assumption).

Seriously, those were old when they started....

Thankfully that scene was the only problem I had in the whole episode. The rest of the ep was absolutely great.

First it was great to hear the kids studying the Bible and trying to figure out what it meant; and all the misunderstandings along the way (reminds me of several old eps).

It might just be me, but it seems like it’s been awhile since this has happened.

The concept was good too (the rich men and going to heaven and what not). Speaking of money, I know Whit’s financial has been dealt with before, but this time we saw it from a different angle.

And the lines were halirious; particuarly the scene with Whit and Marvin talking about camels and the phone call with the person at UPF (“how much to you get paid?” “Not nearly enough.” :lol: )

And other elements were present that made it good; the dialogue, kids interacting with adults (Whit and Wooton), good music, a believeable story (and with the Washington kids! I loved it!)

The Wooton/Grady part of the story was good too. I liked Wooton panicking over the intercom, and what it led to. Ever since we found out that Wooton drew powerboy we knew it was just a matter of time til someone found out. And I thought it was fitting that Grady was the one to find out. It was a good way to advance the Grady storyline (added more trust to Wooton and Grady’s relationship and adding to Grady’s understanding of the Bible and what not).

Overall I thought this was a very solid episode and liked it very much :) Again, great job AIO team!

5/5
emmalee08
Lurker

Post by emmalee08 »

Jonathan wrote:Point is, just because we may go several weeks or months without dealing with this storyline doesn't mean we won't be hearing from it. For those who want to here more, I can say most assuredly that I'm positive we'll be hearing from it; we just need to be patient..
Okay I think you are absolutely right. My deal is that I have been listening to the tape versions for so many years that I'm not used to having to wait for anything. When I was younger and got a new collection I would try my best to listen too it episode after episode until I finished (you can make fun of me if you want haha my sisters used to) but now that I mostly hear them on a weekly basis I have to deal with the suspense like the writers intended! It's is definitely a hard adjustment but so worth it!! I never imagined I would spend so much of my free time trying to crack the Odyssey code!!
Elrohir
I'm memorable

Post by Elrohir »

Jonathan wrote:I'm still working on my review, but I want to address the Eugene's Dad Storyline continuity thing.

Some people have said that this storyline shouldn't really be interrupted with episodes like slice of life. Or other storylines.

I disagree with that, and here's why; in the early years (basically everything up to the split ep season) Odyssey has several storylines going. The beauty of it was that we didn't hear one arc of one storyline, have it resolved, then move to the next etc. Instead the team had several going at the same time. I feel strongly that this add realism to the show. And a good deal of depth.

Now we are in the same situation; Eugene's Father is not the only storyline going on right now; we have whatever is going on with Mandy, Connie's book, Wooton's powerboy and family stuff, Eugene and Katrina's organization, Grady's maturing, Aubrey in college (I know, it's not a storyline yet, but I hope it becomes one) and who knows what else the team has planned for the next several years.

I also don't think that having a slice of life ep follow Dead Ends is a bad thing. First of all, this storyline was introduced with Prisoners of Fear, which aired last October (so we had a good four months between that and Dead Ends). And having the storyline spread out over time helps make it real. After all, who would believe it if they cramed the whole story into two months of airtime? That's simply not realistic; in real life, it takes time, and I expect it to take time in radio land as well (classic example is the Blackgaard Saga).

Besides, it keeps us listening :)

Point is, just because we may go several weeks or months without dealing with this storyline doesn't mean we won't be hearing from it. For those who want to here more, I can say most assuredly that I'm positive we'll be hearing from it; we just need to be patient.

Just my two cents.
I don't see what people are complaining about. Just about every show with a story arc does the same thing.
Chandler wrote:*points to sig*

The two best quotes from the ep! :lol:
Those have to be some of the funniest lines Whit's ever had!
Mandy Straussberg
Animatronic

Post by Mandy Straussberg »

I gave it three stars. I didn't dislike it. It was well done. It just didn't really interest me so much.

Mandy
Music is my life. God's given me gifts, and I like to use them.
Spirit now lead me, take me where You will
I long to adore You, reveal Yourself to me
My cry is to please You, so have Your way in me
Completely to bring glory to Your Name
Kenric
If posts were pigs...

Post by Kenric »

Jonathan wrote:
DanP740 wrote:This time we are actually told that Wooton writes whatitsname. But before we have lots of hints about it.
Actually we were told in Bassett Hounds; this is the first time anyone besides his Grandpa has found out.
^I was going to say that :). This is just a quick review...

I loved it and listened to it on the way to Yucaipa, California yesterday for a special church service. It was fun to hear Grady's (sp) character continued. It was also great to hear from Wooton, again. (Especially since it's been a long time!!) (Okay. Not that long :P.)
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

Elrohir wrote:
Jonathan wrote:I'm still working on my review, but I want to address the Eugene's Dad Storyline continuity thing.

Some people have said that this storyline shouldn't really be interrupted with episodes like slice of life. Or other storylines.

I disagree with that, and here's why; in the early years (basically everything up to the split ep season) Odyssey has several storylines going. The beauty of it was that we didn't hear one arc of one storyline, have it resolved, then move to the next etc. Instead the team had several going at the same time. I feel strongly that this add realism to the show. And a good deal of depth.

Now we are in the same situation; Eugene's Father is not the only storyline going on right now; we have whatever is going on with Mandy, Connie's book, Wooton's powerboy and family stuff, Eugene and Katrina's organization, Grady's maturing, Aubrey in college (I know, it's not a storyline yet, but I hope it becomes one) and who knows what else the team has planned for the next several years.

I also don't think that having a slice of life ep follow Dead Ends is a bad thing. First of all, this storyline was introduced with Prisoners of Fear, which aired last October (so we had a good four months between that and Dead Ends). And having the storyline spread out over time helps make it real. After all, who would believe it if they cramed the whole story into two months of airtime? That's simply not realistic; in real life, it takes time, and I expect it to take time in radio land as well (classic example is the Blackgaard Saga).

Besides, it keeps us listening :)

Point is, just because we may go several weeks or months without dealing with this storyline doesn't mean we won't be hearing from it. For those who want to here more, I can say most assuredly that I'm positive we'll be hearing from it; we just need to be patient.

Just my two cents.
I don't see what people are complaining about. Just about every show with a story arc does the same thing.
Chandler wrote:*points to sig*

The two best quotes from the ep! :lol:
Those have to be some of the funniest lines Whit's ever had!
I loved the 'don't hesitate to ask.. Eugene' part! \:D/
...I hate marquees.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Part way through the episode... and there is a commercial with Steven Curtis Chapman!! :hilarious:

Ahem... :anxious: Carry on...
snowflake
Found

Post by snowflake »

J-man wrote: I loved the 'don't hesitate to ask.. Eugene' part! \:D/
I LOVED THAT PART :D

Thanks Lucy Pevensie for my awsome avatar and signature!!!

Yes, I know it's no longer Christmas but right after I change it it will be again so just get over it...
Carolita
I'm not Gabe
Location: the small fraction of time between normal hectic life and mega hectic college

Post by Carolita »

The Top Crusader wrote:Part way through the episode... and there is a commercial with Steven Curtis Chapman!! :hilarious:

Ahem... :anxious: Carry on...
\:D/ \:D/

Carrying on......

....good story. Loved the moral, Sunday School once again, 'brothers with no tact' (;) ), Wooton, his secret coming out, Whit, etc.

5/5
Johndell
Tallying up

Post by Johndell »

This ep was just....ok, nothing great, but still 7/10 engaging :hithead: I know, terribly boring thing to say in my very 1st post!!!!! :lolsign: :lolsign: :lolsign: :lolsign: :lolsign: :lolsign: :lolsign: :lolsign: :lolsign: :lolsign:
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Welcome, Johndell! :truce:

(Your name wouldn't come from "Castles and Cauldrons," would it? :anxious:)
Johndell
Tallying up

Post by Johndell »

:explode: i love the TOO, \:D/ i have been visiting since it came out, but my mom didn't wanna take the time to fax Shadowpaw (you must fax him to join if you are under 13) but i turned 13 on February 10th, so I'm now a member! YEA! *GAGS FROM STUPIDITY OF EXCITEMENT!* :D
The ToO is mine! *LAUGHS SIGNATURE EVIL VILLIAN LAUGHES EVIL LAUGH AFTER COMMITING AN EVIL ACT* k I'm good now