588: "Broken-Armed & Dangerous"

**SPOILERS**

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

How good was it?

5 Stars
30%
4 Stars
41%
3 Stars
16%
2 Stars
11%
1 Star
3%

Total votes: 37

Jeremy
Smile for the camera

Post by Jeremy »

She is married to Rudy Sutton.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Jeremy wrote:She is married to Rudy Sutton.
I can see what your problem is - being married to one's son is rather offensive! ;)

I can see why some people don't like her hitting on Whit (though I think it's funny) but the impression is given that she's a widow, since she seems to live in the same house as her son (Rudy) the only other time we've heard from her. :)
Thursday Next
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Thursday Next »

Frankly I just assumed she was widowed because it wouldn't be umcommon for Whit to address her in that way. Granted I think that part was totally overdone, but I don't think the writers would write a character like that without her being widowed. However some clarification on the point would have been welcomed. Also how often to we get to see Whit scwrem
Last edited by Thursday Next on Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

JesusFreak777 wrote:
Jeremy wrote:I think the parts with Mrs. Sutton were absolutely disgusting. I mean, this is supposed to be a Christian radio show for children. And we're talking about a married woman trying to be romantic with Whit?! Why wouldn't Whit get a restraining order on her? Why would he even allow her in his shop??? I mean, shouldn't he have at the very least told her that what she was doing was inappropriate and that she must stop???!

This episode definitely needs to go into the garbage can--and never be aired again or sold or put into an album. Ever.

There is no excuse for something like that to have ever reached the airwaves.

Jeremy
Uhh I thought she was widowed.... :-s
I didn't think we ever learned her marital status. Though I will say the whole Mrs. Sutton was the one thing I didn't like in the whole ep. Other then that, it was good.
Jeremy
Smile for the camera

Post by Jeremy »

Catspaw wrote:
I can see what your problem is - being married to one's son is rather offensive! ;)

I can see why some people don't like her hitting on Whit (though I think it's funny) but the impression is given that she's a widow, since she seems to live in the same house as her son (Rudy) the only other time we've heard from her. :)
Ah, I thought Rudy was her husband. I don't remember that episode very well. They make it clear that Rudy is her son?

The episode description on whitsend.org did not help (they make it sound like Edith is Rudy's wife ;-)):
The next morning, Mitch and Whit visit Rudy’s house. Mrs. Sutton answers the door and lets them in, but Rudy isn’t home from work, yet. They visit for a while and find out that Rudy just bought a new computer and also bought Edith a car.
Jeremy
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Jeremy wrote:
Catspaw wrote:

Ah, I thought Rudy was her husband. I don't remember that episode very well. They make it clear that Rudy is her son?
Yes, they do make it clear - Honest Earl (or whoever the car guy is) says that it looked like his mom was with Rudy when he bought the car pretending to be Whit, and she specifically says that she has such a sweet son for buying her a computer and a car and stuff. I can see how the description you quoted would be confusing, but the ep itself clearly shows that Rudy is Edith's son. :)
Jeremy
Smile for the camera

Post by Jeremy »

Ok, then I change my opinion to: it was just pretty gross. ;-)

Thanks for the correction, everyone!

Jeremy
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

Post by Rachael Blackgaard »

pinkjeans92 wrote:I don't know...my dad didn't like it that much...but he said he likes the more adventurous ones better (of course)

Hey, we should form a club!
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

I think she was. I'm almost positive.
...I hate marquees.
Paul B
OK

Post by Paul B »

I like this show.but I agree with one of the other post.where was connies mom.no where to be herd.
Broadcast
Not as new

Post by Broadcast »

Sorry for the delay.

My review is finally up HERE
Elf of Rivendell
random passerby elf
random passerby elf

Post by Elf of Rivendell »

I gave the show a 4--it didn't quite deserve a 5, but it was definitely enjoyable.

Great review, Broadcast.
sorrowing you must go, and yet you are not without hope

sarai: rice cookerrrr
uz: 'ice coakrrrrr!!
uz: that's like the next gen shad lexoooooorrrrr
MDB17
Lucid and deductive

Post by MDB17 »

i enjoyed it. i liked the "flash back" part alot.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Broadcast's review inspired me to listen to HTGT again and I agree with him about Mrs. Sutton. It worked there, and not here.
Emily Winfield
29K to go!

Post by Emily Winfield »

I gave it four stars. =] I thought the episode was awesome. It was so funny how Eugene was saying to Connie and the end something like, "I am SO sorry I apologized SO profusely!" etc. *shakes head* Oh! Good ol' AIO.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

A first listen to this ep left my head reeling. There's both good things and bad things about it.

Sometimes I wish AIO would be more serious. I don't mind them inserting subtle humor but sometimes I think the silliness goes too far and I can't learn a lesson because all I hear are ridiculous, impossible situations. Save the slapstick comedy for certain classic shows but don't make it a part of every show (same goes for some of the music).

Unlike some here, I can't complain about Mrs. Sutton being overused. I guess AIO hasn't directly addressed her marital situation but I doubt the writers have her as anything but widowed. ;) Instead, I thought the use of her helped with the show's continuity. It's only her second show!! What got to me was the overuse of Leon Wankel after the first show we heard him. I practically expected him to walk in and get a job at Whit's End!! Some people think that Whit wasn't himself when dealing with her but I thought that was part of the charm. Here is Whit up against someone that has him flabbergasted. :lol:
That being said, I did have some problems with Mrs. Sutton. First, I'm not sure the humor of her hitting on him is really what I want in a kids' show. Second, how did she go from not knowing any Whit's End people (and not living that close, I don't think) to visiting there regularly (I don't think Whit left her his name and phone number ;)) and already get to know Connie's mom?

Speaking of Connie's mom, she was noticably absent during this show. When the party's for June Kendall, I want to hear her! :o

I can't help but wonder if the writers regret having Eugene married. :- They seem to want to keep Katrina for special shows ("Prisoners of Fear") and use Connie as Eugene's main female interaction. In some ways I prefer this since I can't stand Katrina's current actress (no offense :anxious:) and Connie and Eugene have a longer history together that we know about (which they tried to emphasize once again in that cheesy sock story... Connie and Eugene going shopping for his wardrobe? Please. :roll:). We all must admit that it's a strange situation in real life--Eugene always hanging around a place where we're not sure if he's still employed, interacting with Connie, having a Christmas party with Whit, Tom, and Connie... but no Katrina. But this isn't real life and I'm sure Eugene and Katrina spend plenty of time together off the air. O:)

I had to laugh when Eugene was advising the doctor about how to treat Connie... that seemed very much like him. I wish we could've heard more about how the doctor knew Connie's mom though. :-k

This show just seemed rushed. I like Marvin and Tamika fine but did we really need a side story with them in this show? They appear in enough shows as it is. I think all we ended up with was missing pieces from the Eugene/Connie storyline and another lesser plot that people think was contrived.

Not that Tamika's situation was horrible... I could identify with it having been in a similar one myself. The surrounding details just weren't as good as they could have been.
Broadcast
Not as new

Post by Broadcast »

Amidst all of this negativity this season, I sincerely hope tonight's episode (The Impossible) gives a nice ending to the 1st half of the season. My expectations aren't high, however I'm hoping it'll turn out to be a nice surprise.
Thursday Next
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Thursday Next »

my full review for Broken-Armed and Dangerous is here. I also have my review for Bringing Up Dad's on the same page.
capt. skippy
Hexadecimal teenager

Post by capt. skippy »

i gave it 4/5. it really shows how much Connie has changed since the beginning. The whole gag with Eugene showed how much Whit was rubbing off on her. Although she is great at exaggerating.
Mrs. Sutton is quite annoying. she should be eliminated. It would save whit from getting even chubbier. Walnut cranberry cookies sound disgusting :sick:
Fei
I'm in Odyssey time

Post by Fei »

Mrs. Sudden is probally widowed and Rudy is her son. I thought her charactor was funny and it reminded me of of silly crush. =P~