592: "Now More Than Ever"

**SPOILERS**

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

What did you think of Now More Than Ever?

5 Stars *****
57%
4 Stars ****
35%
3 Stars ***
4%
2 Stars **
No votes
1 Star *
4%

Total votes: 51

Shadowpaw
Town Founder
It’s my birthday

Post by Shadowpaw »

Ariastar87 wrote:My friend Miles Marsico played David in this episode I thought, but only one or two eps in all, and for some reason they don't mention him at all... hmmm.... Anyways, just wanted to throw that into the mix. Thanks to everyone for the lovely feedback!!! I'm very proud and happy mostly all of you seemed to like it! :)

God bless,
Aria
Is it possible Miles was replaced at a later date (this has happened on a few occasions)? The entry I have on The Soda Fountain is only going off of the official cast list that Chris read off at the end of the program.

It's funny though, because when Chris reads the cast list she says "And Robbie Rist", and I immediately thought it sounded like the audio was spliced from a different recording (since the audio bounces up at the end, rather than down, and thus sounds like it is from an old wrap). It's possible in playback some of the staff felt David needed a different feeling and his lines were re-recorded with a different actor... have you actually had a chance to hear the version that went to air? I'll also check with Focus and see if they can provide me with an answer.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

I always promise myself that I'm going to write good reviews here but they always end up being random thoughts that I thought at some point after hearing the show. :anxious:

We were wrong. At least, I was. I thought it was going to be a divorce and I think that was the consensus on the board. Instead it's a separation.

Why did AIO do this when half of all marriages end in divorce? We usually just end up with references to divorce like Connie's parents or Jana Whittaker-Dowd. Maybe the Straussbergs will divorce eventually--but I doubt it.

Has anyone here ever read the first 6 AIO books? You know, "Strange Journey Back," "High Flyer with a Flat Tire," "The Secret Cave of Robinwood," etc. When I listened to this show, I kept thinking of the frame story for Mark Prescott. He and his mom moved to Odyssey because his parents had separated. It tore him up and things seemed to be getting worse for some time. In the end, with input from Whit of course :), the Prescotts got back together. I think the Straussbergs will do similarly. Eventually.

I think this because of what Steven Straussberg said--something about "marriage is supposed to last" or something. AIO believes, and a good portion of their listeners believe, that Christians shouldn't get divorced. Maybe they felt it would be bad modeling to have that happen. But they also didn't want to sugar coat Christian marriages and act like none of them are ever troubled either. A lot of us here either have parents or close relatives who have been divorced. A good portion of those were/are Christians. If not, then we know close friends or church members who divorced. It happens.

Since AIO may not want to go so far as to have a Christian family divorce . . . a family that has been portrayed as Christian on the show. So instead they'll do the separation for several shows and explore the effects of divorce without divorce. :-

This show comes right on the heels of "Three O'Clock Call" which also hints at divorce. Where else could Grady's dad have gone? That's different circumstances, different ages, and appears to be taking a different route to conclusion that this Straussberg Saga.

I was not surprised by David's older-sounding voice. I was prepared for it after guessing this show was about divorce and hearing that Steven Straussberg was going to be on it. What disappointed me was that it was a different voice. I could tell right away. I guess it's been too many years since the last one was on the show.

David's meanness initially surprised me but it made perfect sense to me as the show unfolded. Oh sure, you don't like it, but it fits.

I'm sure this isn't the impression that the AIO writers intended but it sounded like David was "bad" because he didn't hang out with Alex anymore. Sorry, but that made me laugh. Alex was never a favorite character of mine and hardly a paragon of virtue. Either way, they dropped David so long ago that it's hard to think of him being only friends with Alex. Also, it's unfair to David since Alex (Travis Tedford) moved to Texas. ;)

The worst thing about it is the timeline issues. Alex is in the same age group as Mandy and Liz. Er-the "new and improved older" Mandy. I can't imagine him as being 16 or however old it is that David Straussberg is. He can't be that old because he informed us in deeper tones that he and Mandy as "just kids." :lol:

Then again, I also find it hard to believe that Liz, nosy Liz, wasn't aware of David's friends. That's just not like her! :o

At least they didn't try to tell us that David had joined the Bones of Wrath! :evillaugh:

Mrs. Straussberg is Rachel? Isn't that Alex's mom's name? And Mitch's sister's name? After the Novacom shows, I'm wondering. We haven't ever heard Mrs. Straussberg's name before, have we?

Liz's parents have been together for 20 years? Maybe that's just a goof or a generalization. Liz's brother seems proof of that.

Liz's nosiness bugged me as usual. I know they've tried to make her "nice" with a sudden turnaround in "For Trying Out Loud" but I still don't like the way she acts. Whit's advice to her left a sour taste in my mouth and she executed it poorly. Oh well, whatever.

It seems like all the kids in Odyssey get around without knowing each other's parents. If Mandy and Liz are "best friends" and Liz has had so many sleepovers at Mandy's house, you would think the Straussbergs wouldn't be so foreign to her. At least, that's the way *I* grew up.

Like someone else said, this show brought tears to my eyes, which I cleverly hid. :mecry: It's a tough show but it was trying to address the realities of even the Christian world. I thought the scenes with the Straussbergs were executed very well and especial kudos go to Aria Curzon for her very believable acting. =D>
Nathan Hoobler
AIO Writer

Post by Nathan Hoobler »

Shadowpaw wrote:Is it possible Miles was replaced at a later date (this has happened on a few occasions)? The entry I have on The Soda Fountain is only going off of the official cast list that Chris read off at the end of the program.

It's funny though, because when Chris reads the cast list she says "And Robbie Rist", and I immediately thought it sounded like the audio was spliced from a different recording (since the audio bounces up at the end, rather than down, and thus sounds like it is from an old wrap). It's possible in playback some of the staff felt David needed a different feeling and his lines were re-recorded with a different actor... have you actually had a chance to hear the version that went to air? I'll also check with Focus and see if they can provide me with an answer.
As always, good detective work, Mr. Shadowpaw. You're absolutely right. Robbie replaced Miles. It sometimes happens that the team is looking for a different read or another take on a character and so they get a different actor. Often, you don't realize the character needs to go a different direction until AFTER the show is recorded. But, to clarify everything, Robbie Rist IS the voice heard as David in "Now More Than Ever" and he will be the voice for the foreseeable future.

Nathan
Last edited by Nathan Hoobler on Mon May 08, 2006 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Glennzippy
AIO Sound Engineer

Post by Glennzippy »

DOH!!!!

Somebody caught the edit!

Sometimes things just have to be done. Believe me, I tried everything I could to get that to sound right! And a correction, it's actually taken from a FUTURE episode.
Carolita
I'm not Gabe
Location: the small fraction of time between normal hectic life and mega hectic college

Post by Carolita »

This story was heartwrenchingly realistic. I doubt I'm the only one who can relate to the position Liz was in.
Crazy 4 Pugs
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Crazy 4 Pugs »

I really liked this episode. Since I have family members (not my parents) going through almost the exact same thing, I can relate to Liz's situation Some of the episodes make life in Odyssey appear too "perfect", and I enjoyed hearing one that introduced real-world elements. (and I appreciated the reminder to pray for my cousins)
Um, I guess this is where I'm supposed to say something funny or interesting.
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

Is Liz a bit dense? I thought it was obvious there was a strained relationship between Mr. and Mrs. Straussberg. But I'm the audience and know more than she does...
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry: