593: "Around the Block"

**SPOILERS**

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

How would you rate this show?

5 *****
28%
4 ****
50%
3 ***
22%
2 **
No votes
1 *
No votes

Total votes: 32

Chandler

593: "Around the Block"

Post by Chandler »

Please lock until Saturday. :)
Hakeber BC Rathbne Doyle

Post by Hakeber BC Rathbne Doyle »

First to hear! Will post review later
Old Brad
I've been working out

Post by Old Brad »

I gave it 5 stars. I loved it.
“For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him."
Aelwyn
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Aelwyn »

I gave it 5 stars.I really liked it! :D Connie's problems were definitely very realistic! I though the part with Marvin was cool. \:D/
Aslan
Smile for the camera

Post by Aslan »

This was not one of Nathan Hoobler's best episodes. It could have been a funny episode, but it was not. Over all it was a ok episode. 3 stars

Life is worth living, so live the best life that you can
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Aslan wrote:This was not one of Nathan Hoobler's best episodes. It could have been a funny episode, but it was not. Over all it was a ok episode. 3 stars
This depends on what you define as funny. If the wacky humor crazy music and unrealistic situation kind of funny is what you were looking for, then yes, this one isn't for you.

Personally, I liked it. In true Odyssey fashion (especially if we're talking about the old eps), dialogue drove the show, we could identify with the characters b/c the situation was real (honestly, who hasn't struggled with writer's block), the music didn't take over and wasn't over the top; rather it complimented the scenes (which it nearly always should), Whit was giving advice in a realistic manner, and in character, the humor was intelligent (and sometimes somewhat subdued)...

I could go on, but I thought it was one of the better eps we've heard all season. 4 stars.
Elgian
Fourscore and seven

Post by Elgian »

I liked this one because it's been a while since I could really identify with the character's problems. Connie's writer's block, and Marvin's trying to be nice to the not-so-cool-kid without being misinterpreted are both things I've been dealing with recently.

I also agree that Whit's advice was good. And the end, where Connie gets her inspiration and then forgets it when she tries to write it down... completely realistic. :p

4 stars from me.
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

I gave it five stars simply for the script! As Jonathan mentioned, this episode was very funny without being silly or unrealistic. Thumbs up to Nathan Hoobler!
Mandy Straussberg
Animatronic

Post by Mandy Straussberg »

I think it was very, very good, but not quite amazing. 4 stars.

Mandy
Music is my life. God's given me gifts, and I like to use them.
Spirit now lead me, take me where You will
I long to adore You, reveal Yourself to me
My cry is to please You, so have Your way in me
Completely to bring glory to Your Name
Frank
Little Old Bird Woman
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'till morning!

Post by Frank »

Wonderful ep! I especially liked Connie when she smudged up Eugene's glasses in the last scene. (And such a clever title too!) :D 5 Stars!
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Very enjoyable and funny. \:D/ 4 stars!
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

Post by Evil Chick »

I found it to be a very enjoyable episode, as well! I absolutely love the title of the show. (Although, I must admit, when I had finished listening, it took me a couple of seconds to get it... :anxious:) It was very nice to hear a Connie/Eugene episode again. Their characters were so perfect in this episode. Very well done. :D 4 stars
May Zarkouni Live Forever! :goomba:
Well, Washington has been gratuitously compensated like forever by the credit companies.
NatetheGreat
Got Pancakes?

Post by NatetheGreat »

I thought it was an all-around good ep, except I thought they could have worked at a title a bit longer... it kind of gave me the wrong idea about the ep.
Aslan
Smile for the camera

Post by Aslan »

Jonathan wrote:
Aslan wrote:This was not one of Nathan Hoobler's best episodes. It could have been a funny episode, but it was not. Over all it was a ok episode. 3 stars
This depends on what you define as funny. If the wacky humor crazy music and unrealistic situation kind of funny is what you were looking for, then yes, this one isn't for you.

Personally, I liked it. In true Odyssey fashion (especially if we're talking about the old eps), dialogue drove the show, we could identify with the characters b/c the situation was real (honestly, who hasn't struggled with writer's block), the music didn't take over and wasn't over the top; rather it complimented the scenes (which it nearly always should), Whit was giving advice in a realistic manner, and in character, the humor was intelligent (and sometimes somewhat subdued)...

I could go on, but I thought it was one of the better eps we've heard all season. 4 stars.
I uderstanded the jokes in this episode they just where not that funny

Life is worth living, so live the best life that you can
Kanimoto
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Kanimoto »

3 stars. This ep was, as people have been saying, realistic. I saw my own writing habits in some of the scenes. O_o Nice to know I'm not the only person suffering from writer's block. :anxious:
In the darkness, the Lurker frantically tries to figure out what is going on.
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

When Connie said, "The first sentence is always the hardest." I laughed. It really isn't. I always think the first sentence is the easiest. The last part of the story is the hardest. But since she is writing a book about her life, and I just write stories, it is different. All in all, the episode was good. I gave it a 4. In the end, when Connie and Whit were trying to figure out what Connie had said, I was laughing. It was interesting. I can't wait for next week, but I will be in Walla Walla, and it will be hard to find the station to listen to the episode. I just can't wait to see my sister again, so I think I won't mind the internet.

Any ideas on just might come up next week? I just hope that... Nnver mind. My hopes will be shattered any way.
Eugene Blackgaard
Amadeo killed me!

Post by Eugene Blackgaard »

Woah. I feel inspired to listen to AIO again! It's been some time. ;)
ToO Comic - #1|#2|#3|#4|#5|#6|Filler#1|Filler#2|#7|#8|#9

In the darkness the Motherhood silently bakes cake and knits sweaters with love in every stitch.
Call me Sergeant Pepper.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

I was kinda bored listening to the episode so only time will tell me how much I like it. There wasn't anything wrong with it... it just didn't have enough action and adventure to captivate me on a first listen (like next week's hopefully will! \:D/).

The quote in my sig shows the lines I thought were funniest. :lol: It almost seemed like an explanation/apology from the writers for why Whit is the way he is. You can almost always trust his opinion (like his hesitation with Novacom when Tom had no problem) because he's Mr. Whittaker! =D>
snowflake
Found

Post by snowflake »

i enjoyed it. it wasn't a favorite of mine but i did like it. \:D/

Thanks Lucy Pevensie for my awsome avatar and signature!!!

Yes, I know it's no longer Christmas but right after I change it it will be again so just get over it...
Emily Winfield
29K to go!

Post by Emily Winfield »

I gave it four stars. It was a great episode! =] I laughed and loved it. I think it is so funny how Connie kept saying, "First Sentence..." and then the one she came up with wasn't that "catchy". lol. Poor Connie with Eugene's "suggestions". *sigh* It was good. =D>