568: "The Power of One"

**SPOILERS**

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

What did you think of "The Power of One"?

5 Stars - !Wow! Best episode in AIO history!!
3%
4 Stars - Best one of this season!
21%
3 Stars - Was that Richard Maxwells voice?
35%
2 Stars - Not Bad......
24%
1 Star - *GASP* Yuck! Worse episode EVER!
18%

Total votes: 34

Christian Cowgirl
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Christian Cowgirl »

:? Are me and Jonathan the only ones who heard the Paul skit before? I just don't get it...
I never make mistakes. I thought I did once, but I was wrong.
Flyah
Popsicle kid

Post by Flyah »

Who cares if it was heard before - it's hilarious - they could play that every week and I'd laugh out loud every time!
Master Kenobi
I've been here a bit

Post by Master Kenobi »

With all due respect to the writer, this episode was not one that I would call an excellent achievement in writing. I was expecting a regular episode, since it was used to return Harlow Doyle to the show. I was obviously very wrong. In addition to being disappointed about the type of episode was used, I had many problems with the episode itself. The first was that the segments were too long. The David and Goliath story lasted too long, especially considering that everyone knew what would happen at the end. The Sampson story was good and pretty funny, but it too was a little bit too long. Then there were the commercials. They reminded me of the long kind you see in the movies. They were funny, but got old fast. Finally comes the shortie about Paul. It dragged on for a long time, and, sadly, was a cheesy spoof. That was probably the worst part.
I have never really liked the Kid’s Radio episodes, and unfortunately this is no exception :(. I regret to give this episode a one and one half star rating.
Flyah
Popsicle kid

Post by Flyah »

Good grief! The David and Goliath episode too long? I really think we are picking apart the show way too much. I understand not liking a certain format or type of program (i.e. Kids Radio, etc.)

I disagree with you about the Paul skit and about the fact that you believe it was 'not an excellent achievement in writing'. The boxing spoof was well-done and was not just done to show the D & G story, but it also really mocked boxing - which I thought was hilariously funny!

But alas, to each his own.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

I'll admit, when I heard this was to be a KYDS episode, I wasn't thrilled. Especially after hearing the last one (which was the third episode I had heard debuted ever). But I was surprised. Probably the oddest part (and a funny one) for me was b/c I was doing some work at the time I wasn't aware the commercial had ended until some time into the Prayer Way skit.

We were also given two treats, the Paul skit (which is another example of AIO's wonderful ability at doing parody's) and the Samson skit, originally scheduled as a split ep. I know people have said it was too long, but so what? Harlow and Edwin were halarious and it told the story in an innovative and fun way. It also succeded in bringing Harlow back without any controversy (as some certainly don't like him).

B/C it's a KYDS episode, I'm not too likely to listen to it again, but I liked this one. 3/5 stars.

-Jonathan
AIOfan11
Younger than you

Post by AIOfan11 »

I was busy on the computer with other things while listening, but I was very disappointed. Maybe I should just listen again, but I don't know if that would change anything.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

EugeneFans Cousin wrote:The David and Goliath story lasted too long, especially considering that everyone knew what would happen at the end.
Your logic greatly perplexes me. First, it was one of the shorter ones. Second, you are right, we knew how it would end. So what?

If we are to go with that line of thinking, why re-read Bible stories? We know Jesus rose from the dead, so why read the gospels again? Why listen to Imagination Station episodes again? Why even listen to the Biblical ones the first time, as we read them once and we know how they end. We know what happens to Gideon, does this mean one should skip over those chapters in the book of Judges?

Not only is that line of thinking wrong when applied to the Bible, but it also defeats the purpose of many Odyssey episodes.

In short (ok that wasnt short) I disagree. Unless you meant something else, and if you did I would like to hear it.

-Jonathan
Bandit Squirrel
OK

Post by Bandit Squirrel »

It certainly wasn't the best episode I have heard, but it was not bad. While I usually don't like KYDS Radio programs, I thought this one was rather good. The Samson part of it was especially enjoyable although Harlow didn't seem to be quite his normal self. I gave it three stars.
EugeneFan
OK

Post by EugeneFan »

My thoughts on the episode can be found at Eugene Forever. Since this episode seems to be a controversial topic, some of you may disagree with some of the things I said. If this is the case, please let me know, and I will answer any questions you have :).
Dave
Classic

Post by Dave »

I enjoyed reading your review, EugeneFan! Sure, it wasn't very positive, but you had some good points in there. Thanks for your honest opinion!

Dave
Alleycat
insert dash here

Post by Alleycat »

I liked it, it wasn't top-hole, but it was good. It had a bit much of the BTV tone to it, They should have made it a BTV episode. I enjoyed the St. Paul skit, but you know it has always been a time-filler, I don't think it was part of the show itself? :-s
And each light that we've extinguished has brought darkness to our Land...
Upon our Nation have mercy Lord!
Master Kenobi
I've been here a bit

Post by Master Kenobi »

I'm terribly sorry if I offended anybody about this episode. I wrote it to tell the truth about what I thought, but obviously some people disagree with me. I didn't want to lie about my opinion, so I'm sorry about any accidental offensives.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Dave wrote:I enjoyed reading your review, EugeneFan! Sure, it wasn't very positive, but you had some good points in there. Thanks for your honest opinion!

Dave
Ad did I. It was negative without being mean.
EugeneFans Cousin wrote:I'm terribly sorry if I offended anybody about this episode. I wrote it to tell the truth about what I thought, but obviously some people disagree with me. I didn't want to lie about my opinion, so I'm sorry about any accidental offensives.
That's ok, I didn't find anything offensive, I just found some of your logic faulty. And I apologize if I came across mean in my rebuttal.

-Jonathan
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Christian Cowgirl wrote::? Are me and Jonathan the only ones who heard the Paul skit before? I just don't get it...
I hadn't heard it before.

I wasn't expecting this episode to be a Kid's Radio show... I actually thought "The Dangerous Haircut" was pretty clever but the David and Goliath one didn't do much for me. I guess the parodies are funnier when you know what they're referring to. I was clueless on that one so all that guy's wimpering about "Ashley" was for so I wish it wasn't in there.

I don't really have much to say... I didn't hate it and it's not my favorite. An average episode. 2.5/5
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I had not heard the Paul skit before either.
Thursday Next
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Thursday Next »

After thinking about it I have to admit that I only sort of like it. "The Dangerous Haircut" was clever, but the David and Goliath skit left something to be desired. I have to say I had heard David and Goliath done this way by the Reduced Shakespeare Company in their Complete Works of God...Abridged and they did a better job.
Aslan
Smile for the camera

Post by Aslan »

the power of one rocks

Life is worth living, so live the best life that you can
rickyderocher
My posts are revolutionary

Post by rickyderocher »

Yeah! Great episode!! VERY FUNNY! :D
Woody
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Woody »

This is definitely one of my favorite episodes. But I'm the only one who gave it 5 stars. Why is that? This is a great episode. Aw, man all I've got is this jaw from a donkey. Hey! Maybe I could use this to...uh...Bonk ye! =D> =D> . Why am I the only one who thinks that's funny?
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!
godisawesomeness99
Popsicle kid

Post by godisawesomeness99 »

to Bruno in this episode, gibran kahil gibran said it. And Harlow was amazing in this episode!
Daniel- Seattle Pacific University '22
Music is how God speaks to me
I used to be here.... but now I'm probably not.... so yeah