568: "The Power of One"

**SPOILERS**

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

What did you think of "The Power of One"?

5 Stars - !Wow! Best episode in AIO history!!
3%
4 Stars - Best one of this season!
21%
3 Stars - Was that Richard Maxwells voice?
35%
2 Stars - Not Bad......
24%
1 Star - *GASP* Yuck! Worse episode EVER!
18%

Total votes: 34

Ruthie
de lah rutheh rank
de lah rutheh rank

568: "The Power of One"

Post by Ruthie »

What do you think of "The Power of One"?

Post it here!!
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I listened to the episode last night. I'm not going to say anything until Saturday.
Last edited by Laurie on Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fletcher
Hexadecimal teenager
Location: Smallville, Kansas, with regular commutes to Odyssey, Ohio

Post by Fletcher »

This was a pretty good episode. It had some humorous segments, and it had a good message. It was good to hear Harlow again, and him and Edwin had some great interaction. =D> But the episode also had some problems. . .

I think the main problem with this episode is that it couldn't decide wether it wanted to be a "Hidden in Your Heart," "The Devil Made Me Do It" kind of episode (with three long skits) or a fast paced B-TV style episode. I would have preferred if they had chosen on firmly fast paced, because the skits in the episode, while somewhat funny, drag at times. The "Prayer Way" skit didn't need to be so long, and neither did the "Samson and Delilah" skit. They would have been much funnier if they had been shorter pieces and there had been a few more skits added. The "David and Goliath" and "St. Paul" shorties were the best parts of the episode, and that's because they were funny, got a point across, and weren't overlong. The beginning of the "Samson and Delilah" story was funny, with Harlow ad-libbing, but the joke got boring after a while, and eventually distracted from the story itself.

Overall this episode wasn't great, but it did feature the return of Harlow, some hillarious lines from Edwin, some funny parts, and a good lesson. It was enjoyable, but not as much as last week's episode. 2 1/2 stars out of 5.
EUGENE IS BACK!!!
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

First of all I'll say that I gave it 3 stars. I was disappointed with the show overall for several reasons. First because like Fletcher said the skits did seem a bit long. I'll admit, the Edwin and Harlow part was rather funny, but it was too long. I think that AIO has done enough KYDS radio shows, tey're getting a little monotonus and sorta boring. the music was great and so was the acting, I'm just getting tired of KYDS radio shows. It was overall disappointing to me, although I will say that my mom liked it.
...I hate marquees.
Ferder
Pilgrim

Post by Ferder »

I've heard a lot of eps,
some good and some bad.
I'm sorry to say
that this one was just sad.

I wasn't quite sure
what it would have in store
but from the first 5 minutes
It was a big bore.

Come-on Odyssey,
you can make the radio come alive
we don't need this stuff
for kids under five.

Oh well it's only
one in five-hundred-and-ten
But I don't think I'll ever
be listening to it again.

2 Stars (since some of the skits were a little clever)
Christian Cowgirl
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Christian Cowgirl »

Why did they reuse the Paul skit? Havn't we already heard that? I'm glad Harlow is back, 3 stars.
I never make mistakes. I thought I did once, but I was wrong.
Gandalf
Tallying up

Post by Gandalf »

I'm not going to go in-depth with this review. Usually I would tend to hold off and listen to an episode at least twice before writing a review, but I'm afraid for this one I didn't need to.

While some people liked the David & Goliath section, I didn't. I failed to catch a lot of the 'humor' (what does Ashley have to do with D&G?). Again, perhaps upon a second listen this will become funnier. It also reminded me of a McGee skit from the series 'McGee and Me', which isn't a positive thing.

The Prayer Way skit seemed to be a BTV skit instead of a KYDS radio skit, but it was still enjoyable.

I enjoyed that they put the St. Paul skit into the episode, but was somewhat bothered by the way Connie didn't mention it at the end. Will it be included on the album version or was it just a time-filler? I have said since the release of album 33 that the shorties that aired in fall 1999 and spring 2000 should have been included on the album versions of the episodes they originally aired with. They weren't and, unfortunatly, it's been nearly impossible to get a hold of them, especially some of the 'rarer' ones like the History Moment. I enjoyed them a lot when they originally aired and this St. Paul was one of the better ones. I'm thrilled that the AIO team is trying to incorporate them into new episodes (BTV: Obedience and now The Power of One). I hope to hear these in more episodes in the future.

Something that many fans probably DON'T know (or remember) that should be considered is that 'The Dangerous Haircut' was originally written as a split episode to air in 2000. It was one of the several episodes that was cut from the lineup, which is a shame because I think it turned out quite nicely. I'm glad that it was incorporated into this one.

Overall, the show really wasn't that outstanding but I gave it two stars because of the wise choices AIO made in incorporating the St. Paul shorty and 'The Dangerous Haircut'.
Flyah
Popsicle kid

Post by Flyah »

Guess we're not listening to N. Hooblers' advice about tearing apart the episode. I thought it was good. 'The Pray Way' was one of the funniest bits I've heard on AIO in a while, I laughed out loud at the Paul/James Bond skit (I didn't know that was used before) and I enjoyed the Dr. Seuss Samson story. I wouldn't give it five stars - but I really liked the ep. Go easy.....
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

I really didnt like it it had to much of a BTV feeling i only liked it because it had harlow but i wish it had eugene
HarlowRoxMySox
Smile for the camera

Post by HarlowRoxMySox »

It was pretty good, it seemed very BTVish instead of KYDS Radio material except Bernard didn't host it. The best part was the Harlow/Blackaard bit about Sampson, because those two characters are about as opposite as you can get. I kept laughing as Harlow rhymed with everything Edwin said, yes, that part was the most memorable. Overall, 3 stars.
Do any of YOU know how to make hand shadows?

Kathrine Doyle is my dorky little sister... JK... kinda ^o^
My awsome Avatar & Sig were illustrated by a friend named Navi!
Christian Cowgirl

Post by Christian Cowgirl »

Flyah wrote: I laughed out loud at the Paul/James Bond skit (I didn't know that was used before)
I've heard it like 10 times already. They play it during the breaks. Unless thats just my raido station, I dunno.
I never make mistakes. I thought I did once, but I was wrong.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

The Paul shorty was definitely a highlight - it was so funny! I told my mom about it, and she thought it was funny too! :D I didn't start listening to AIO on the radio until after the split episode era, so I had never heard it before. (We just waited fro the albums to come out and then bought them. It was easier to wait for new albums that way!) It was great to have Harlow Doyle back, even though it was as a character and not as "himself" as much. I loved how he and Edwin interacted! Since they're so different, it was fun!

Overall, I can see why some people didn't think that it was fabulous, but it was still enjoyable Kids Radio fun, and I look foward to listening to it again! \:D/
Dave
Classic

Post by Dave »

Yeah, the Apostle Paul skit was perhaps the best skit in the show. I thought the "Pray Skit" was good, too (it reminded me of some of those awful advertisements on TV). You can find out what I thought of the other two skits right here.

Dave
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Christian Cowgirl wrote:Why did they reuse the Paul skit? Havn't we already heard that? I'm glad Harlow is back, 3 stars.
Yes we have. The likely reason we're hearing it again (and why shorties have been incorporated into episodes) is b/c they weren't put into albums 33 and 34; this way everyone can hear them. After all, we the fans are always asking for unreleased stuff, right? I appreciated that, it was a generous move by the aio team. I've heard every ep, but not every shorty.

My review shall come later.

-Jonathan
One I Froggy

Post by One I Froggy »

I personally didnt like it. There was nothing in particular that I had a problem with, but I just tend to like real life stories better then KYDS radio or BTV. And I like Bible stories better when they are told by whit, connie or bernard instead of being potrayed in skits.
I gave it one star. Again, nothing specific, just not one I would listen to again. (I listened to it three times just to see if it would get better)
And I dont understand what is so likable about Harlow. He anoys me more then anything else.
Frodo
Classic

Post by Frodo »

It was ok. I don't like Kids radio much. Edwin's skit ws funny.
Priscilla

<><
Ferder
Pilgrim

Post by Ferder »

Flyah wrote:Guess we're not listening to N. Hooblers' advice about tearing apart the episode. ....
I know. I'm not ussualy that harsh. In fact, I could have written that post many many times before about other recent eps and it would have probably been more aplicable.
I guess the ep just sounded bad compared with the great one the week before.
MDB17
Lucid and deductive

Post by MDB17 »

it wasn't all that good but i can live with it
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

Post by Evil Chick »

I really liked this episode. Just the other day I was wondering when we'd hear another KYDS radio show. I loved the Harlow and Edwin part. It truely was Dr. Seuss meets AIO. It was very funny! I also really liked the part about Paul. "My name is Paul. Apostel Paul." "I am a bond-servant" "Read my letter to the Romans, chapter 007" Those were all so cool!! It was great to hear Harlow again, and also to recognize Will Ryan's voice throughout the show.

So, I give the ep 4/5 stars. It was really good, but not the best ep in the history of Odyssey.
Last edited by Evil Chick on Sun May 01, 2005 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Me
An original

Post by Me »

It's difficult for me to be objective about this episode as I rarely like KYDS radio eps. Also, my radio station messed up for about two scenes near the beginning of the ep, and we only got static. I'll have to listen again online. I liked the Samson skit. Harlow was hilarious, and Edwin obsessed with "sticking to the script," which I found highly enjoyable. The Paul shortie was also one I hadn't heard before, and it was good. I gave the ep a 3, because while I didn't particularly care for it, it was good for a KYDS ep.