595: "A Time for Action Part II"

Archived reviews of Adventures in Odyssey episodes!

How would you rate this show?

5 *****
53%
4 ****
42%
3 ***
3%
2 **
3%
1 *
No votes

Total votes: 38

Emily Winfield
29K to go!

Post by Emily Winfield »

I was hoping Eugene's dad wouldn't be the heavyset guy with long hair. *shudder* Oh well. I am glad he found him, though they could have taken longer. =] I really liked the episode though. Yeah, Shadowpaw, I was sort of expecting something dramatic as well, but maybe they will talk about what already happened and was dramatic... It is really mean of them to make us wait until school is starting before we find out any more. I am wondering who Everret is...
Nathan Hoobler
AIO Writer

Post by Nathan Hoobler »

All,

I don't want to say too much about the episodes before the discussion here has run its course. However, I will address a few questions that keep coming up.

1. The spy agency in Chicago was the department of State. There is a bit more to come with this, but I wouldn't make too big a deal about it. I think a lot bigger deal was made about the spy agency here on the board than was made in the actual episode.

2. We're just finishing up the writing of the episodes that tie up the Eugene/father story arc. Not ending it necessarily, but bring it to a conclusion. There are at least five more shows in the arc after "A Time for Action, Part 2." So there's a lot more to come with this story arc.

3. Next season begins at the very moment this season ends. The show is currently slated to air September 23 and is called..."Cover of Darkness."

4. There will be a preview of the fall 2006 season (and the upcoming album 47) on album 46, which will come out in early September. Pick it up for the exclusive preview! (How's that for a shameless plug? :D )

Nathan
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Ooooo....sounds exciting! \:D/

Thanks Nathan! :)
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Emily Winfield
29K to go!

Post by Emily Winfield »

ooo. A real person. =] Thank you for the info Nathan! Somehow hearing something come from someone "in the know" really made me happy...
Shadowpaw
Town Founder

Post by Shadowpaw »

This is great news :). If this is simply the tip of the iceberg for the storyline and not the climax, I am very much looking forward to next season! Maybe secretive meetings in parking garages and various methods of torture are still lurking around the corner :).
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Ooo...torture on AIO - details in four months! How's that for a fabulous tagline? ;)

"Cover of Darkness" has such a great sound to it. *shivers* Thanks for dropping by with some info, Nathan! \:D/
snowflake
Found

Post by snowflake »

Secretive meetings in parking garages???

I enjoyed A Time for Action part 2. :D I thought the ending was a little abrupt as well and I didn't really expect Joel to be Eugene's dad! (I might have except for the whole "heavyset with dreadlocks) Maybe he was in some sort of disguise! I liked the scene in the cemetary as well, it brought back old memories of last in a long line! I suspected that Lenard thought that Eugene had died in that train crash. But who is Everrit Meltsner? We know the man in the train crash was Michael...Also, when Eugene was describing his father to others he said that he looked like himself except he had brown hair and moustache--so they were not red dreadlocks nor dyed. I don't know why Katrina wasn't in these episodes :-k but I would like it if they brought Pam back! Not that I have anything agains Audrey, I'm sure she would be great for other characters--just not Katrina. I also really enjoyed the Pete's gas and chow scenes...very funny \:D/

I can't wait for next season!!!

Thanks Lucy Pevensie for my awsome avatar and signature!!!

Yes, I know it's no longer Christmas but right after I change it it will be again so just get over it...
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Thanks Nathan!! I am now going to go crazy waiting until September.
Tyrell
No way I broke the window

Post by Tyrell »

I liked it, it wasn't what I was expecting but good all the same. :)
~S~
Applesauce
I'm memorable

Post by Applesauce »

Thanks for the info, Nathan. About what you said...

1. I'm glad the question about the spy agency was cleared up...otherwise, I would still be expecting something...

2. Five more episodes? That sounds pretty good...almost as many as there were in the LM story arc this year...

3. Cover of Darkness is a really cool title and sounds like it will be a really cool episode! Will it be a multiple-part ep?

4. I can't wait for Album 46 and the Fall season! Keep it up, AIO!!

...wow, now I'm really impatient for Fall!
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

My random thoughts... :)

• My initial guess is that Everett Meltsner is a sibling of Eugene's that was born and died in Africa (particularly because they're both "E" names). Why they'd choose to introduce him (and kill him), I'm not sure. :-k

• At least we know now why Eugene's dad said he had no children!

• Just what kind of conspiracy is going on with Eugene's dad? To run away at the mention of his name and be using a fake name (and in disguise too?) indicates that he's in hiding somehow. On the other hand, as spooked as he was earlier in the day, he seemed pretty carefree at Whit's End later on.

• I also made the PJ connection. :)

• When an "important" show like this includes a storyline like the one with Grady and his mom, you know it's going to tie in somehow. The man at the park was a pretty obvious giveaway. I was intriqued at how they tied it in but I'm not sure it was the best thing to do. The writers have a lot to say about Grady and his family but I don't know if the storyline was really suited to the show. Then again, since Eugene's dad was "homeless" then maybe it was. Some people might feel, though, that time was wasted instead of being spent focused on the adventure and mystery.

• Why did Leonard run to the graveyard to get away from Eugene and Whit?

• I thought it was EXTREMELY cool the way Eugene found his name on a gravestone just like Bernard had said in "Last of a Long Line." I was of the opinion that the writers did this intentionally but now I'm not so sure. :-k I'm going to start a separate post addressing that show and how it compares to this one.

• Considering what Eugene's dad has done, it seems he fears more than a tribe in Africa pursuing him. But what is it?

• Why did Eugene's dad just happen to hang around Odyssey/Connellsville? Is it because he was (apparently) raised in that area? What business did he have if he didn't think he had any surviving relatives? If he wasn't there for that entire year+ where was he going in between and why did he keep coming back?

• Why did this show seem to have such an unclear distinction between Odyssey and Connellsville? I couldn't even tell the two apart in any meaningful way.

• The ending also struck me as "anti-climactic" although Eugene finding his dad isn't a low point of the program! From what Nathan said, it sounds like the first show next fall is going to pick up in the same scene. I sure hope that's the case because there's all kinds of dialogue I think we need to hear!

• At the end of the day, I liked the show. :)
Carolita
I'm not Gabe
Location: the small fraction of time between normal hectic life and mega hectic college

Post by Carolita »

Whoa. It wasn't a shock or anything, but I didn't figure they'd actually bring his dad back. I'm looking forward to next season and hearing more about L. M. 's journey.
Jacob Isom
I'm not Gabe

Post by Jacob Isom »

I found both episodes to be quite enjoyable. It was almost unreal in that it has been years since we heard about Eugene's father, and all of a sudden he's alive. It kind of scares me because AIO seems to be heading into the more unrealistic rather than the realistic. I know it ties things together from years ago when the idea of a missing father sprang up, but is this too good to be true? Hmm.
"Providing the Scoop on Adventures in Odyssey, one cone at a time."
http://www.odysseyscoop.com | Personal Site: http://www.jacobisom.org
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

P.J.! I hope the writers bring him back. His role in this episode is more humorous than in other episodes. He certainly moves around a lot! That guy needs to learn how to hold down a job.
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry: