360/PS3/Wii Comparison thread

This is a place where gamers can come and tell of their favorite games, discuss current games, head up gaming contests, and join in on online games that others are playing. It's a place run by gamers and enjoyed by all types of gamers alike.
xiao
Set blasters to rapid-fire

360/PS3/Wii Comparison thread

Post by xiao »

Xbox 360
$300 for Core pack, $400 for Premium Pack

Pros:
+ Sleek design
+ Awesome live service
+ Excellent menu
+ Downloadable demos
+ The best selection of games on any Next-Gen Console (NGCs)
+ The most powerful system of all three NGCs
+ Excellent Price
+ Best-feeling controller of all three NGCs
+ FPS heaven
+ Lots of original games
+ Not a lot of sports games (Praise the Lord!)
+ Backwards compatible

Cons:

- The Xbox community sucks (Halo players anyone?)
- No tilty "gimmick"
- FPS heaven
- Core package is terrible

Nintendo Wii
$250

Pros:
+ Awesome original controller that's fun to use and has vast potential
+ Cheap...er
+ Nintendo brand games (woot)
+ Vast possibilities of stuff for the Wiimote other then the nunchuck
+ Shiny blue light
+ Awesome design
+ Games aren't 60 bucks
+ Large launch game selection
+ Downloadable old Nintendo games! Woo woo!
+ Will be a blast to play with others
+ FPS / Sword fighting controls will rock

Cons:
- Graphics aren't next-gen
- Really expensive controllers
- Hundreds upon hundreds of gimmicky games that use the Wiimote badly
- Many games don't use the Wiimote at all (Smash Bros)
- Brand new ideas from Nintendo, and yet we're playing 20 year old franchises, still
- Your arms will hurt really badly after using the controller for extended period of time
- It's designed for "people who have never played games before". Come on, Nintendo, we're gamers.
- It's called the Wii. Much worse, for no good reason other then some idiot at Nintendo thought it sounded good. It doesn't.
- Can't play Gamecube games
- There will be tons of Gamecube ports with poop forced Wii controls, says Miyamoto
- Still really kiddy
- Where you point on the screen doesn't actually add up to where your cursor will be due to the sensor bar

Playstation 3
$500 for poop package, $600 for the good stuff

Pros:
+ Good graphics
+ Some great games
+ Lots of really good looking new games instead of sequels
+ Tilty thing
+ Giant enemy crab
+ Backwards compatible
+ Free online (kind of)

Cons:
- Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overpriced
- Blue-ray is sucking more and more
- $60-100 games
- Same controller from PS1, but without rumble
- Not as powerful as the 360
- "People will buy it even if there are no good games"
- Very few are being made for launch
- It's pretty much destined to die / fail

--------------------------------------------------------

And that's that. I think the 360 is the best, Wii is the 2nd best, and the PS3 is the worst. It started out great, but now... ugh.
STRYPER
Gone... but not Forgotten

Post by STRYPER »

You forgot about the franchise sellers:

Microsoft = Halo
Nintendo = Smash Bros
Sony = Soul Calibur

These are some of the highest grossing games franchises and each manufacturer will be putting a lot of stock in these exclusives. Halo will cream the competition and sell more units for Microsoft than any other game. Smash Bros will force many to buy the Wii and therefore bring in a sizable profit. Yet Soul Calibur will probably have very little appeal and is not enough to convince on the fence gamers to purchase Sony's PS3.

These three games will have a huge impact on the console wars. I estimate that whichever order these titles come in, the consoles will follow suit.
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
Perfect man to bare my blame
On the Cross He took my sin
By His death I live again
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Hmm. I'd replace Soul Calibur with Metal Gear Solid 4 or Final Fantasy XIII and... the other Final Fantasy game that is also XIII. People will waste money on the PS3 just for them. :boohoo:

I think PS3 looks really cool but the fact they want to price it so high makes me hope they don't do well.
STRYPER

Post by STRYPER »

Fair enough... the question is, will those three games rake in more money than Halo or Smash Bros? They might rake in more than SB but I doubt more than the new Halo...
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
Sonuna
ion cannon ready

Post by Sonuna »

STRYPER wrote:Fair enough... the question is, will those three games rake in more money than Halo or Smash Bros? They might rake in more than SB but I doubt more than the new Halo...
*coughbecausehalfofgamefaqsareslavishhalofanboyswhowouldn'tknowaninnovativeFPSifithit'emintheface*
Pardon. I've been having a severe cold recently.
"Sonuna" Taranimak ("Sonuna" Sharkquill) has been content lately. She admired own very fine Bed recently. She talked with a parent recently. She talked with a friend recently. She had a good meal recently. She admired a fine tastefully-arranged Desk recently.
She is a citizen of The United States of America. She is a member of The State of Minnesota. She is a member of The Town of Odyssey.
"Sonuna" Taranimak likes Bauxite, Copper, Green jade, the color navy, cloaks, ballistas, cats for their aloofness and hydras for their seven heads. When possible, she prefers to consume Dr Pepper and ramen.
She lives at a relaxed pace. She tends to avoid crowds. She has a fertile imagination. She is completely disorganized. She is very distant and reserved. She tends not to openly express emotions. She needs caffeine to get through the working day.
Shadowpaw
Town Founder
It’s my birthday

Post by Shadowpaw »

Meh, I'll buy all three ;).

I'll get Wii first day but I'll probably pick up the Playstation 3 sometime in 2007, once they work out some of the heating issues and other stuff they've been experiencing.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Shadowpaw wrote:Meh, I'll buy all three ;).
Stop gloating. ;)

I wished I had time to play. :(
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Shadowpaw
Town Founder
It’s my birthday

Post by Shadowpaw »

Well having a brother who likes to buy systems/games helps ease the cost ;). Though working all the time (and having school the rest of the time) means I have the money to get all the latest gear and games, but not the time. I now have roughly 30 games at home that I haven't played yet because I just haven't found the time :(.
Elrohir
I'm memorable

Post by Elrohir »

Trent DeWhite wrote:
Shadowpaw wrote:Meh, I'll buy all three ;).
Stop gloating. ;)

I wished I had time to play. :(
You and me both... *sniff* I'm gonna have to sacrifice a few of my favorite titles this comming year due to all my school work.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

I've many I haven't played yet, either. :( And what's worse I keep finding myself wanting to play older games I've been through many times... which is okay, since I'm having fun. ;) But still, it's lots of wasted money in new games, and I'm sure I'll really like some new ones once I play them. \:D/
Trinarius
If posts were pigs...

Post by Trinarius »

Shadowpaw wrote:Well having a brother who likes to buy systems/games helps ease the cost ;). Though working all the time (and having school the rest of the time) means I have the money to get all the latest gear and games, but not the time. I now have roughly 30 games at home that I haven't played yet because I just haven't found the time :(.
Or maybe you just found a way to convert ToO money to real money. ;)

I actually have a reservation for the Wii at my local Gamestop, but with college expenses and such, I'm not sure I'll be able to get it. :(
-Josh

Trinarius is back. Kind of.
Aram
Expecting a battle

Post by Aram »

I read an article today about the Wii. (stupid name btw)
They spoke very highly of it, but the nunchuck sounds like a pain. Maybe I'm not reading it right.

The xbox is my favorite, but I will get the PS3, but, like SP I'll wait until they get the glitches worked out.
Trinarius
If posts were pigs...

Post by Trinarius »

I wish Nintendo would give discounts to college students. :(
-Josh

Trinarius is back. Kind of.
xiao

Post by xiao »

Donkey Kong wrote:You forgot about the franchise sellers:

Microsoft = Halo
Nintendo = Smash Bros
Sony = Soul Calibur

These are some of the highest grossing games franchises and each manufacturer will be putting a lot of stock in these exclusives. Halo will cream the competition and sell more units for Microsoft than any other game. Smash Bros will force many to buy the Wii and therefore bring in a sizable profit. Yet Soul Calibur will probably have very little appeal and is not enough to convince on the fence gamers to purchase Sony's PS3.

These three games will have a huge impact on the console wars. I estimate that whichever order these titles come in, the consoles will follow suit.
Um.... wow. These are the real big sellers.... and Soul Calibur is not a console exclusive game.

Microsoft = Halo, Gears of War, Ninja Gaiden

Nintendo = Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Smash Bros, Pokemon

Sony = God of War, Devil May Cry, Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid, Guitar Hero, Grand Theft Auto, Burnout, Naughty Dog games, All Insomniac games (Ratchet and Clank, Resistance), Resident Evil

Yep, Sony has a ton of killer apps. Shame that the PS3 sux0rs.
STRYPER

Post by STRYPER »

Howcome proving you wrong seems to be bring me so much pleasure Xiao? I certainly don't feel as glorified when I politely correct others :-k

Soul Calibur III has long been announced that it will be exclusively released on the PS3. Sony, in fact, paid a ton of money to get Soul Calibur exclusively.

The reason I included SC in my little comparison is because for months now it seems that Sony is really intending to sink a lot of money into this and are hoping that by exclusively offering it, they will draw in gamers to buy their system who otherwise wouldn't have.

I wasn't saying that there are no other exclusive games on the market nor was I comparing the volume of exclusive games (Nintendo would probably win in that category). What I was trying to do was target the most popular and most influential games that would help decided the fate of the overall system. My personal belief is that Soul Calibur will be big for Sony. Top's belief is that Metal Gear Solid or Final Fantasy will be the games for Sony. I'm eager to find out what will.

I'm still interested as to why you would take my original post and treat as if I was a 10 year old: new to the gaming world and intelligent thought as a whole.
The Gospel:
Holy God in love became
xiao

Post by xiao »

Soul Calibur III may be PS3 exclusive but Soul Calibur is not a killer app for Sony as you presented it to be. It's not NEARLY as successful as the other games I mentioned.

If they've been attempting to do this for months, why haven't we heard of Soul Calibur III at all really? I see no trailers or even screenshots. It's not like they're hyping it. It's not a selling point. Oh, and have you ever thought that Sony wanting money for a certain game doesn't mean it's their killer app? They want all games to sell well so obviously they want to "sink a lot of money into this."

Nintendo wouldn't win in exclusive games, Sony would.

SC will be big for Sony. But if you know anything about gaming you'll know it won't be nearly as big as any of the other titles (Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy, God of War, Burnout, ETC.) There is no chance whatsoever that Soul Calibur III will be as successful as any of the mentioned titles. This is not a debate. It is fact. Pure fact.

I don't see a linking a barely english string of words together and attempting to write it off as a "proof" for anything, much less to prove someone wrong. Research before you slam your fingers into the keyboard next time.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

I agree with you Xiao that MGS and FF are bigger franchises than SC... but I'm curious do you know of any sales data on it? I'm sure those series have sold more, I'm just curious as to how muchso...
xiao

Post by xiao »

Bowser wrote:I agree with you Xiao that MGS and FF are bigger franchises than SC... but I'm curious do you know of any sales data on it? I'm sure those series have sold more, I'm just curious as to how muchso...
I don't know specific numbers but they would be easy to find.

I do know however that any single MGS or main FF game has sold significantly higher then Soul Calibur II and III combined. This isn't to say Soul Calibur games aren't big sellers - they are, but not nearly as much so as the massively successful MGS and FF series.

And I noticed a typo, either you meant Soul Calibur IV is PS3 exclusive, or you meant PS2 instead of 3, and were still talking about III. (to Stryper, not Top)
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

I wonder how many of Sony's exclusives are going to stay Sony exclusives? :-k
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

My dad and I are thinking of purchasing a next-gen console sometime either around Christmas or next spring. We already have a Wii, so we've been contemplating whether to pick up a PS3 or 360. My personal preference is for the 360, since I have an Xbox. (Thus, the majority of my games are for the Xbox.) I'm not really interested in the Blue-Ray drive, but my dad seems convinced it's the way to go... as far as graphics go, which is the better console? Halo 3 isn't a must-have for me, but it'd be nice to get if and when I got a 360. Any opinions?
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!