Gaming Consoles / Video Games

This is a place where gamers can come and tell of their favorite games, discuss current games, head up gaming contests, and join in on online games that others are playing. It's a place run by gamers and enjoyed by all types of gamers alike.
Me
An original

Post by Me »

Ah, a softmod. Not quite as functional as an actual chip, but very handy if you don't want to take the box apart. I stuck a forty gb hd in mine so I could archive all my games, but it is already empty. Another cool feature is that I can ftp into my box to transfer files. I use the Avalaunch dash, and use Xbox media center to play media files.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I guess it's a softmod then... but, I run Avalaunch, and have a 120 gig in there for my games... I don't know, does that mean it's not a softmod? :)

I am clueless on this technical jargon. He did it by soldering some points together inside, if that means anything. A soft mod would all be done from the outside, correct? :-s
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Anyone heard about the latest gaming console (Xenon?) Microsoft will be releasing? I read somewhere that it's coming out this winter, but that seems awfully early. I was thinking more along the lines of fall 2006. :-k
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Me
An original

Post by Me »

The Top Crusader wrote:I guess it's a softmod then... but, I run Avalaunch, and have a 120 gig in there for my games... I don't know, does that mean it's not a softmod? :)

I am clueless on this technical jargon. He did it by soldering some points together inside, if that means anything. A soft mod would all be done from the outside, correct? :-s
If soldering was involved, then no, it is not a softmod. A softmod is just a small prog. that hacks the box and lets you run unsigned code on it. He either put in a mod chip, or bypassed the bios check.

I need a bigger hd for mine. I've got a 40, and it's full. I have to start backing my up on DVD.

As for the Xenon, here is some more info taken from http://www.xbox-scene.com

During our continuing development with the Xenon (Xbox 360) we noticed some interesting information in the latest docs - most notibly about the memory.
Quote:
"The Xenon retail console will include 512 MB of UMA system memory. This is eight times the amount of memory that was available in the Xbox. The Xenon system software will still reserve six percent (32 MB) of total memory for system components, such as the visible features of the Xenon HUD, as well as the non-visible background system tasks."

Everything we have supports the Beta Hardware that will be shown at E3 - we hope to be able to support the Xbox's massive homebrew community well into the next few years - after all it's that same community that has helped to shape the Xbox's great success.

SPOnG can reveal today that the Xbox 360 will see an unprecedented downloadable demo offering from day one, with Xbox Live being shaped to deliver massive levels of on-demand content.
“It will mean more work for developers,” our source told us, “though it will offer what is essentially hype-free evaluation options to the consumer.”

Interestingly, SPOnG has had it confirmed by several senior sources that the Xbox 360 will feature wireless connectivity out of the box. Furthermore, data storage via PC will be featured, though information seen to date makes reference to this being used solely for media storage. However, downloadable Xbox content could, in theory, be stored too, though we should make it clear that the possibility of such content being stored in this way is mere speculation at this point.

More rumours are doing the rounds today regarding the specifications and software delivery methods of Microsoft’s Xbox 360 console. Hard disk size is currently being touted as around the 40 gig mark – which seems fairly large but not staggering, though this will be subject to change as costs are juggled before the device goes into production late this summer. The machine is said to feature two video outs, one of which can be connected to a monitor, and will not, allegedly, be backwards compatible. It’s also being suggested that purchase via download is going to be offered, with games bought in this way sold earlier and cheaper to sweeten the deal.
And speaking of games on the HDD, the new console with be sold with Halo 2 pre-installed on the console, obviously beautified to make the most of the system’s power.
This isn’t all, though. There’s also talk of a 120 gig add-on hard drive for the new Xbox which comes pre-loaded with software.

We’d like to stress that all of the above is nothing but rumour at the moment.

>> From TeamXecuter.com:
We've spent today doing a little more digging. It seems the Xbox 360 will use AES Encryption (XeCryptAesCbc), executable files are XEX and not XBE (xshell.xex) and after studying the kernel there is everything in place for backwards compatibility.

In order to fully demonstrate the visual prowess of the new console, Xbox 360 games will not be displayed on regular TVs, which means no SDTV or EDTV sets (although the console can utilize such technology), and it is mandatory that the displays used in the E3 demonstrations are HDTV-ready and not just HDTV compatible.
Several sources have informed us that Microsoft is demanding that companies display Xbox 360 games at E3 on equipment with a minimum resolution of 720 physical lines. We have yet to learn if Microsoft is requiring any type of specific audio capabilities during demos, such as a Dolby Digital 5.1 system.

Hopefully this will be enough to sate your curiosity, at least temporarily. there is more news coming out on it every day, and it will ship in November. From what I have heard, it looks ugly, uses microtransactions (I can explain this in detail if you want), is called the XBOX 360, etc.[/url]
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

Post by Rachael Blackgaard »

The only video game I have to my name is Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic for XBOX. I love it! I can't wait until next weekend, when I can play it again.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Rachael wrote:The only video game I have to my name is Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic for XBOX. I love it! I can't wait until next weekend, when I can play it again.
If you can only own one game for the XBOX, that's probably the game to own. \:D/ I've completed that game on both the Dark and Light sides. On which side are you current playing? I also own Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords, although I haven't spent nearly as much time on it as I had for its predecessor. Probably because I had more time back then . . . and the ToO wasn't around. :anxious: Anyhow, once you finish KotOR I, you should most definitely pick up KotOR II. :)
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Rachael Blackgaard
Dr Blackgaard's Girl

Post by Rachael Blackgaard »

I like Carth. He keeps calling me beautiful and stuff, but he does have some major communications issues.
AIO Psyche
Geniune Disney Cast Member

Post by AIO Psyche »

My fav console is my PSP. :D :D :D :D :D
dancer02248
I've been working out

Post by dancer02248 »

The newest one i have is nintendo64 :-#
but i have an atari with like a million games in my basement too
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

dancer02248 wrote:The newest one i have is nintendo64 :-#
but i have an atari with like a million games in my basement too
So do I! :D

I don't know, something about Ataris... they seem at home in the basement... :-s
Me
An original

Post by Me »

I just found a free way to play XBOX online without a modchip or XBOX live. We should play sometime. The software is at http://www.teamxlink.com
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

:shock:

No XBOX live? No modchip?

That's awesome. But wrong. :anxious:

I own Halo 2, NHL2K5, and Tiger Woods PGA 2005 if anyone wants to play...
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

My favorite games are Pac-Man, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong's Quest, and Dixie's Double Trouble. We don't have a gaming system, but the way I play Donkey Kong is we have a "Nintendo Emulator" or somthing likt that, that I play Donkey Kong on (my glasses for some reason say "Nintendo" on them). The only time that I get to play Pac-Man is when I go to the dentist. :( :cry: :mecry:
Me
An original

Post by Me »

Trent DeWhite wrote::shock:

No XBOX live? No modchip?

That's awesome. But wrong. :anxious:

I own Halo 2, NHL2K5, and Tiger Woods PGA 2005 if anyone wants to play...
How is it wrong? It's just a tunnell service. There is nothing that says you must use XBOX live to play online.

I'll look into getting PGA 2005 (I've heard it's really fun) and get back to you.

There are also some pics of the XBOX 360 up at www.xbox-scene.com
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Me wrote:How is it wrong? It's just a tunnell service. There is nothing that says you must use XBOX live to play online.

I'll look into getting PGA 2005 (I've heard it's really fun) and get back to you.

There are also some pics of the XBOX 360 up at www.xbox-scene.com
Hm, interesting. I suppose you're correct . . . since connecting via an ethernet is acceptable. I just never imagined you could play multiplayer without using XBOX live or connecting directly to another console. Anyhow, you'll have to let me know when and if you purchase PGA 2005. Just make sure you get your stats maxed out before you play me. ;)
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

We've got an X-box, PS2, and a PS3. We have games like Ace Combat, which I love, Grand Turismo 2-4, the Army men series, Medal of Honor [both games], SOCOM, Crazy Taxi, Mary Kate and Ashley: License to Drive, etc.

I love the PS but X-box is way cool too. I don't really think one is better than the other though. One has less buttons, so it might be considered easier. Am I right?
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz