Gears of War (2)

This is a place where gamers can come and tell of their favorite games, discuss current games, head up gaming contests, and join in on online games that others are playing. It's a place run by gamers and enjoyed by all types of gamers alike.
Azariah Ben Yaakov
100% Kosher
100% Kosher
Location: Chillin. Probably sniffing your connection for passwords \:D/

Gears of War (2)

Post by Azariah Ben Yaakov »

So, I'll be pretty blunt here, I've never played GoW.

And I was just curious as to what the gameplay is like 1&2.
It seems pretty nice, is it all third person?
As far as realism, how are the weapons? Shotguns, pistols, or are they things like plasma rifles?

Just looking for a basic overview, a lot of what I see is just "z0mg goW pwns ur mother" and the like, so I'd prefer to avoid that, and just go cut and dry with it.
uz
RP Death Scythe
RP Death Scythe

Post by uz »

graphically, it's probly one of the best I've seen.

As far as gameplay goes, its a little bit of halo and vegas combined. I really like the cover system and general gameplay... from what I heard though, multiplayer on Gears2 is a bit broken. Microsoft's issuing a January Patch soon to fix it... though I don't play much on multiplayer besides hoard mode...

Weapons, well if you like up close and personal, you can blow someone's head off with a shotty, or else just chainsaw them. There's also the flame thrower which is explodable if you shoot the gas pack. Sniper rifle's awesome, period. The Lancer is the mid range swiss army knife, there's chainsaw attached to the end that you can rip people to shreds with (NOT recommended when mobbing.) Torque Bows are probably my favorites, next to the shotty, it charges a bolt (you can release at any time), and if it hits anything, it will explode in seconds. Torques has a small blast radius, but if you know what you are doing, you can kill enemies easily with this thing. As far as plasma rifle goes, I don't think they have that kinda advanced weaponary.

Umm.. there's also some heavy weapons such as the artillery--you can take out a platoon of hoard at once if you know how to use that thing. Gattling gun, which rips even the biggest enemies into pieces in seconds. The trade off for these weapons is that you can't move very fast. So trade speed for power. There's also a carrable shield that you can move around and use as cover by driving it into the ground, its classified as a "heavy."

Grenades are awesomer this time around, you can double them as proximity mines, smoke grenades can stun people for a couple seconds while you go up and perform an execution move, or else you can just blow people to bits with the frag. There's also the poison grenade, AOE damage.

As far as pistols go, I like the Gorgan the best, you have to learn how to use it because of its erratic rate of fire. It is in burst shot mode, fires around 3-5 shots per burst? But it's a really nice weapon when you are using a meat shield.

Meat shield - downed enemies that you grab to use as a [hoard] shield.

Uhh yeah and hoard mode, a 4 player coop mode where you fight against waves and waves of hoard onslaught... probably the best mode besides single/coop story mode.
**crez go to sonuna
uz: MELF WILL YOU MARRY MEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!?!?!?!?!?!?
mirkwoodelf: I DONT KNOW I HAS OTHER PROPOSALSES.
Azariah Ben Yaakov
100% Kosher
100% Kosher
Location: Chillin. Probably sniffing your connection for passwords \:D/

Post by Azariah Ben Yaakov »

Awesome. I'm not very big on advanced weaponry, I like pretty basic, realistic weapons. And I love R6, and Halo, so that's definitely a plus.
Sniper/Shotgun are my favorite packs to use period, so as long as it has both of those, I will be well pleased just by that alone.

My being a GoW virgin shall change soon, I imagine.

Edit: I bought GoW today, installing now. I'll post back later with my thoughts.
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Me and Jerm beat the whole campaign on co-op like the week after it came out, it was epic. \:D/

Either way, I never played Gears 1...probably because I didn't have my Xbox until like a few weeks before Gears 2 came out.

It is a great game but, (to UZ) how is it anything like Vegas or Halo? :-s You have a gun in all three, that's about all I see.

The campaign itself is great...the first time you play it, then you probably won't be able to bear playing it again unless you do it like a chapter at a time on co-op.

Horde mode is probably the most innovative game type i've seen buuuuuuuuut, there's something to be said for the other multiplayer game types (also to UZ) multiplayer isn't broken, the matchmaking system is just relatively slow in comparison to other games, if you have friends that play Gears you can just host a private match which is the best option anyway because most people in matchmaking are idiots.

Overall Gears is a great game that you will play the heck out of for a while...but then you go and get Left 4 Dead...and get addicted.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

This game is demonic because you shoot people in it. :noway:
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

But they're ugly people so God will forgive us. \:D/
uz
RP Death Scythe
RP Death Scythe

Post by uz »

Tyler wrote:It is a great game but, (to UZ) how is it anything like Vegas or Halo? :-s You have a gun in all three, that's about all I see.
Vegas as in cover system and halo as in the portable heavy mount types... as far as F/TPS style goes, it's a far cry from halo... :P
Tyler wrote:Horde mode is probably the most innovative game type i've seen buuuuuuuuut, there's something to be said for the other multiplayer game types (also to UZ) multiplayer isn't broken, the matchmaking system is just relatively slow in comparison to other games, if you have friends that play Gears you can just host a private match which is the best option anyway because most people in matchmaking are idiots.
Ah, yeah I don't play much multiplayer unless it's horde mode... I have yet to try much of the online matches aspect, so what I said was based on what I heard from ign/gamespot forums...
**crez go to sonuna
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

I didn't know you even had an Xbox...
uz
RP Death Scythe
RP Death Scythe

Post by uz »

Tyler wrote:I didn't know you even had an Xbox...
I do have an xbox, just not 360. I play GoW2 whenever I chill at my cousin's...
**crez go to sonuna
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

uz wrote:
Ah.

Get an Xbox fool.
uz
RP Death Scythe
RP Death Scythe

Post by uz »

Tyler wrote:
uz wrote:
Ah.

Get an Xbox fool.
Love to, but I'm saving up for a mesa boogie dual rectifier. ;)
**crez go to sonuna