Rise of Nations ToO Game

This is a place where gamers can come and tell of their favorite games, discuss current games, head up gaming contests, and join in on online games that others are playing. It's a place run by gamers and enjoyed by all types of gamers alike.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Rise of Nations ToO Game

Post by Knight Fisher »

I posted this in the Gaming Den, but the thought is not everyone is in there.

Anyway I'm trying to setup a ToO game of RoN at some point. Anyone interested?
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I would absolutely love it if we can get this going, Rise of Nations is my favorite computer game. I’ve been playing for countless years and still can’t get enough, it never ever gets old. I got my friends into it, and we have LAN parties on a regular basis where we do big multiplayer games, it’s awesome.
The only thing is, since I’ve played so much I have a set game style. We all do actually. We’ve played together for so long that we all know what each person is good at and not so good at and what everyone will do or focus on at certain points, and we have adapted our play to actually compartmentalize the game. So we don’t all play all aspects and then work together, each of us does a certain part and then we put them together.
For example, I am not the best at army to army combat. I can do it if necessary, but it’s not my first choice. What I do is stockpile resources and then act as long range air support when we’re ready to head out conquering. I reduce the enemy cities with bombers and missiles so the others can just move right in with their armies. It’s an extremely effective system, for us. I don’t know if it would translate to brand new allies. We’ll have to see.

If we do this, there are a few things you should probably know.
1) I am always the purple Romans. I have never played a single game with a different color or nation. I’ve used them from when I first found this game, before I understood about nation abilities. To be honest, if I were playing the most effectively, now that I know how the game all works I should really use someone else because I don’t use any of the Roman bonuses. But it’s too late to change, the buildings all look different and I get confused. Besides, this way is sentimental.
2) I don’t play against other humans, or do one player games. I don’t know why, but I have a set image of this game that only allows me to play multiplayer, and only with humans against computers. It’s probably because I’ve had so many great experiences playing it that way. But yeah, if we do this, it will need to be ToO vs. computers.
3) I have a set style, as explained earlier. I can adjust if needed, it wouldn’t be a problem, but to utilize the full efficiency of my alliance it would be best to allow me to play my usual way.
4) Naval battles are my bane. I don’t know why, but maps that have an emphasis on water and ships throw me completely off. It’s a major issue and distraction that affects my whole gameplay. Not enough to hinder the team, but enough to make me less effective than I normally would be.
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

That would actually work really well with my strategy. Lately I've been doing me vs 1-3 Tougher or higher bots in infinite resources/ending in Enlightenment. Mainly because I've always been fairly bad at keeping my economy going after I start a war. However, I've been able to hone my Infantry vs Infantry strategy a ton. I've never really used aircraft that well though.

With Nations however I mix it up mainly between Russians, French and a couple others because in the end the game is won on the ground, and a good deal of it is effected by Attrition.

What times would work for you? I mainly have afternoons free.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Oh yes, as far as opponent strength and nations I can go for anything. The nation doesn’t matter, I don’t really notice a difference. The strength, I wouldn’t advise going past Moderate for our first game (depending on how many people we have) since we’re not used to playing together yet. I have beaten as much as two Toughest in my games, but again it was with a core group who has worked together for years.
Arkán Dreamwalker
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Arkán Dreamwalker »

1. What is Rise of Nations?
2. Would I have to go out to a video game store and buy the game to participate in this?
~ Walker in Dreams
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

1. The greatest real time strategy computer game ever
2. Unless you can borrow it from someone
jasonjannajerryjohn
I revere the admins
I revere the admins

Post by jasonjannajerryjohn »

Arkán Dreamwalker wrote:1. What is Rise of Nations?
2. Would I have to go out to a video game store and buy the game to participate in this?
No. We here at the ToO encourage piracy. ;D
Peri: Do you mean the TARDIS is malfunctioning again?
The Doctor: Malfunctioning? [pause] Malfunctioning? MALFUNCTIONING!?
Arkán Dreamwalker
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Arkán Dreamwalker »

I mean is it free online or does it come in a box etc. :x
~ Walker in Dreams
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

It's free to play online if you have the CD.
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

You have to pay for the CD. ;)

or just pirate it. ;)

Dude. I love RoN. Yeah the difficulty levels for RoN are totally different than AoC (Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings: The Age of Conquerors Expansion). I have never beaten a RoN computer on the hardest level. The secret to sudden attacks is aircraft carriers, baby! Build 3 of those things, get 21 fighter bombers. They can smoke out anything in a matter of seconds. I play either the Germans or the Russians. I can't remember exactly. I think it's the Russians. It's been awhile. I'm not quite sure how well I could join a game with you, but it's worth exploring.
1x admin, 2x moderator. 3-26-11, 5-25-12
Jehoshaphat wrote:I mean every election is basically just choosing what type of government we want.
#FOREVERKITTY
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Looks like it’s the three of us then. Let’s do it!
Jehoshaphat
Someone's favorite
Post by Jehoshaphat »

I would totally do this! I agree that RoN is the best real time strategy game ever! when should we do this?
Unicorns exist... they just got fat and now we call them rhinos.
My online family
I am Monty's and thefinalhour Awesome Brother. GJ is my rebellious little sister
If you want me to be in your online family send me a PM.
Blitz
Love to love

Post by Blitz »

I have a feeling I really want this game.
Online family
Christian's nephew
Sammy's Bro and moderator between Sammy and Woody and her partner in randomnes
Woody's younger brother and best friend And married to Joy and forgot about it Dolls third cousin
Yes, since my sweetheart lives in the clouds
I must float on them. - Limerick

Blitz....do not flirt when you have a gf already!!!! Gahhhhhh..these tweens need to learn proper gentlemanly behaviour!!!
Blitz: I am a teen
* Black_Ghost buries the two peeps...err chicks...err dude and a chick
'Here lies blitz the dude, and IT the chick.
* IrishTiger is not being buried beside Blitz.
Doll knows everything about her sweet baboo
BECAUSE SHE STALKS HIM
Woody
Check out my blog by order of the king.
http://blitzkrieglight.blogspot.com/
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

My schedule is probably the most flexible right now, so the rest of you should try to find a good time and then let me know. Let’s try to do it soon, in case things change. I really want to do this.
Jehoshaphat
Someone's favorite
Post by Jehoshaphat »

I do too. Could we do it tomorrow sometime? Or after 8:30 tonight.
My online family
I am Monty's and thefinalhour Awesome Brother. GJ is my rebellious little sister
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Well, we don't need to make it that soon. We should see if there's a day that's consistently best for everyone first, then try to set a week. Also, it should be done through a group pm, not in here. :)
Jehoshaphat
Someone's favorite
Post by Jehoshaphat »

Sometimes spontaneity is the best. Bookworm this is a serious question would you be available to play today or tomorrow?
My online family
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

We are finally going to do this! Is there anyone else that wants in? I'll help you get set up before we schedule a game.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Are you guys saying you haven't actually played a game and are just now getting to it? ...3 years later?
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
Jehoshaphat
Someone's favorite
Post by Jehoshaphat »

Umm... yes? We have all been busy and it just hasn't worked out until now.
My online family