The Stanley Parable

My newest adventure into the world of indie games

This is a place where gamers can come and tell of their favorite games, discuss current games, head up gaming contests, and join in on online games that others are playing. It's a place run by gamers and enjoyed by all types of gamers alike.
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

The Stanley Parable

Post by Amethystic »

Okay, so today I purchased and played through The Stanley Parable, an indie game by Galactic Cafe, and despite its fantastic reviews I'm still baffled as to how such a highly praised game could be so underwhelmingly dull and frustrating. It was supposed to be some ingenious, story-based game exploring the illusion of choice, but I felt like all that ever happened was the game kept putting me on an endless, repetitive narrative loop while the ambiguous (and not in a good way) Narrator spouted some quasi-philosophical nonsense every now and then. I kept waiting for the plot to advance, for some sort of progress or "Aha!" moment to show itself, but no, the premise of the game never gets any less vague--or more interesting--and all you get is the same few story loops again and again, with maybe a minor change in scenery here or there. Also, as someone playing the game on Steam, I'm going to say right now that the accomplishments suck. They're pretty much pointless, and there's hardly any of them. The only good thing about this game is that it has a great demo. Seriously, the game was a bore, but give the free demo a shot if you have the chance; it's the most interesting thing about this game.

Has anyone else played the game? If so, what did you think? Is there something that I'm missing here? :anxious: