MS DOS games now playable online

This is a place where gamers can come and tell of their favorite games, discuss current games, head up gaming contests, and join in on online games that others are playing. It's a place run by gamers and enjoyed by all types of gamers alike.
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

MS DOS games now playable online

Post by bookworm »

This is really cool.

Internet Archive brings nearly 2,400 old school computer games online
You no longer need a floppy disk drive to play old school computer games.

Nearly 2,400 MS-DOS games are now available online thanks to Internet Archive, a nonprofit digital history library.

Gamers can travel The Oregon Trail, find treasure with Indiana Jones and explore the sunken Titanic, the San Francisco group announced Monday.

“You will be able to do everything you can do with the old interface with the new, but that you’ll have so much more happening on the new one,” Internet Archive’s Jason Scott said in a blog post.

Still, the programs are by no means perfect.

“Some of them will still fall over and die, and many of them might be weird to play in a browser window,” he said. “And of course you can’t really save things off for later, and that will limit things too.”

The titles available may change so play them while you can, Scott warned.

Site visitors are encouraged to provide feedback to improve the games, still in beta version.
The MS DOS game collection can be found here.
This is just the latest addition to the archive's collection of old games; they also have old arcade games, and games for old consoles like the Atari and Magnavox Odyssey.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I saw this somewhere a while ago (probably back when bookworm first posted this) and clicked around the site a bit and was having trouble getting things going. Has anybody actually used the site to find and play games? If so, did you have to do anything special not listed on the site?
Old Brad
I've been working out

Post by Old Brad »

I've used it a bit. All I had to do was click on the game I wanted to play, then it brought up the page it was on and I clicked the power button in the middle.
“For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him."
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I can't remember what I was having trouble with previously, but since Brad said things worked for him, I just started playing oldschool Oregon Trail (I think this version is even older than the oldest one that I remember) :shock: and it's working perfectly! I shouldn't have started playing now, because now I'll want to continue. :mad:
LIGHTNING
Pilgrim

Post by LIGHTNING »

Wait, what is going on?
Moontide
No way I broke the window

Post by Moontide »

You can now play many ancient computer games online. This means that you can now play computer games that your patents would have played had they been computer hobbits.

For example to play the very first simcity go here: https://archive.org/details/msdos_SimCity_1989
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Hey, be careful about throwing around words like "ancient" and then referring to a year several years after my birth. :x

I'm really, really happy about being able to play classic (which to me is the deluxe version, not the original one) Oregon Trail. It's still the only one that I've taken the time to play. We hung onto an old computer for a long time because we could still run DOS on it so we could play Oregon Trail and Railroad Tycoon, but even that fun ended a looong time ago when the computer was too old, so this is very nice. If only I could play my favourite version of Railroad Tycoon too! Maybe it's coming.
Moontide

Post by Moontide »

Hey, be careful about throwing around words like "ancient" and then referring to a year several years after my birth. :x
:oops: Sorry. I was trying to emphasize that LIGHTING wouldn't have played these games as a kid, which is why I didn't choose old or a younger sounding word.

If only I could play my favourite version of Railroad Tycoon too! Maybe it's coming.
If you still have the game, then you might be able to use DOSBOX. It is an emulator for dos, which means you can run old games on new computers. It might require some work to get it up and running though.
Pengwin
Penguin-tastic
Penguin-tastic

Post by Pengwin »

They have Super Solvers Gizmos and Gadgets! :D Though, the website keeps asking to disable my cursor when I click on the game. 0.o
:wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky:
Moontide

Post by Moontide »

The reason it asks you to disable the cursor might be so they can show a DOS cursor for you. That is what happened on the simcity program.
Pengwin
Penguin-tastic
Penguin-tastic

Post by Pengwin »

I seeeee
:wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky:
LIGHTNING
Pilgrim

Post by LIGHTNING »

Why play these old shabby games though when one has lots of nice new games all around waiting for you?
Moontide

Post by Moontide »

Because some people want to play games that they haven't played in a long time, because they don't mind ugly graphics, or are interested in retro-computing.
LIGHTNING
Pilgrim

Post by LIGHTNING »

Moontide wrote:Because some people want to play games that they haven't played in a long time, because they don't mind ugly graphics, or are interested in retro-computing.
Well, have fun with that... *grabs my Oculus Rift*