The Town of Odyssey
http://thetoo.com/

Pokémon Go
http://thetoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=34995
Page 1 of 2

Author:  bookworm [ Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:24 am ]
Post subject:  Pokémon Go

From observation of the insane media coverage I estimate at least one in three ToOers must be playing this thing; so who are you?

Author:  Agent 86 [ Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:04 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Pokémon Go

I think I would play it, if I wasn't an introvert. :P

Author:  Moontide [ Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:28 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Pokémon Go

While I don't play it, I saw people playing it in the library recently. (I assume it is because the library has free WiFi and then you wouldn't need data)

Author:  Connie G. [ Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:42 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Pokémon Go

I don't either... I'm not even completely sure what it is... but I saw a TON of people standing out in the parking lot of this shopping center thing, walking around (out in front of cars!) staring at their phones... My friend said that's what they were doing; she also said that two people had died cause they walked off a cliff chasing one of those things... It sounds addictive.

Author:  Agent 86 [ Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:49 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Pokémon Go

If I remember right, the two people who walked off the cliff didn't die, I think they just got bad injuries.

Author:  SirWhit [ Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:04 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Pokémon Go

I play it where I can get wifi.

My church happens to be a Poke Stop, so yay for me xD It's pretty fun, though I haven't played it much yet.

Author:  bookworm [ Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:10 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Pokémon Go

I might be inclined to check it out if it didn't require constant data and GPS connection. As it is I'm not interested enough to bother installing and figuring it out. I am quite interested in the cultural phenomenon it has already become though.

Author:  Agent 86 [ Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:42 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Pokémon Go

Well bookworm, it was hyped up for like a year before it was released. :P

Author:  bookworm [ Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:45 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Pokémon Go

I hadn't seen any prerelease hype, actually. (It could have been there, but I didn't see it.) I heard occasional reports the game was coming out and people saying the concept was 'a kinda neat idea' but no one expressing high anticipation of the release and nothing that indicated the reception would be anything remotely close to what it has been.

Author:  snubs [ Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:00 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Pokémon Go

I am by no means a Pokémon fan, nor do I know anything about it other than Pikachu. That said, I've been playing it a LITTLE, mostly just to see how it worked and whatnot (still confused with a lot of things though =p). But, as bookie mentioned, I don't like the constant data usage and GPS connection (I'm not a huge fan of apps requiring I turn on my location services).

BUT, that aside, I really like the concept for the game, I think this might be the beginning for something much cooler. And though I'm not into Pokémon, the game does make you want to keep "hunting" more and get to the next location to "catch" another.

I can see where it can easily be a big distraction, it's easy to keep looking at your phone and not your surroundings. I found the safest way to play is, with two people, one person holds the phone and can look at the map, and the other person stays alert and makes sure the person with the phone doesn't "walk off any cliffs." :p Though if you are focused on staying alert yourself, then it's a perfectly safe game to play, and not the company's fault for people walking in front of cars.

Author:  Kait [ Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:21 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Pokémon Go

I'm obsessed with this game. I never played Pokemon growing up (my parents thought it was demonic or something ridiculous like that :roll: ) so I'm really digging the opportunity to relive this part of my childhood that was STOLEN from me.

I'm level 15 and I just have a lot of fun with it. I mostly play on my way to and from work and then I've been trying to get out of the house at least once on the weekend to head out to a place with new pokemon and pokestops. Just today we went to the beach and there were about 6 pokestops within a close range that all had lures at one point or another. I got about 10 brand new pokemon and as well as ones I've already caught.

Anyway. I'M PLAYING AND I'M NOT ASHAMED TO ADMIT IT. :x

Author:  Dredge [ Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:34 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Pokémon Go

^There's alotta stuff that's demonic but a phone app where you walk into high-risk areas catching obese insect-like devices that you committ assult and battery with isn't one of them.

That said, I'm not all that inteterested, while reviews are... OK, everyone has positive reviews for appgames because it's such a limited platform. Plus, play isn't neccisarily 3D, indicating the next step in appgaming won't give rise to racing sims or anything like that. A friend sent a link to it, but, admittedly, I have non-"demonic" reservstions about playing. Whatever. The technology used here may someday, eventually be able to create a motorsports or street-hockey game that allows you to scan and create circuits directly from Google Earth.

Author:  Paula [ Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:17 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Pokémon Go

Kait wrote:
I'm obsessed with this game. I never played Pokemon growing up (my parents thought it was demonic or something ridiculous like that :roll: ) so I'm really digging the opportunity to relive this part of my childhood that was STOLEN from me.


My parents thought it was demonic too xP

I don't play Pokémon Go either, but we do have a Poke Stop in our neighborhood :thumbsup: Also...For all you people who do play, bringing along a power bank can help you a lot so you don't have to stop in stores and such to charge your phone :yes:

Author:  bookworm [ Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:59 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Pokémon Go

Kait wrote:
I'm really digging the opportunity to relive this part of my childhood that was STOLEN from me.
Well, this app isn't really anything like the actual Pokémon games. But it does give you some exposure to the idea.

Author:  Dredge [ Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:06 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Pokémon Go

Paula wrote:
My parents thought it was demonic too xP


Hmmm... I'm seeing a consensus here. In the mouth of 2 or 3 witnesses...

Author:  Agent 86 [ Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:44 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Pokémon Go

SimplyDredge wrote:
Paula wrote:
My parents thought it was demonic too xP


Hmmm... I'm seeing a consensus here. In the mouth of 2 or 3 witnesses...

Just because several people said it doesn't make it true.

Author:  Dredge [ Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:50 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Pokémon Go

Agent 86 wrote:
SimplyDredge wrote:
Paula wrote:
My parents thought it was demonic too xP


Hmmm... I'm seeing a consensus here. In the mouth of 2 or 3 witnesses...

Just because several people said it doesn't make it true.

(Grunts unresponsively) If you say so... 8-)

Author:  Connie G. [ Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:53 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Pokémon Go

Agent 86 wrote:
SimplyDredge wrote:
Paula wrote:
My parents thought it was demonic too xP


Hmmm... I'm seeing a consensus here. In the mouth of 2 or 3 witnesses...

Just because several people said it doesn't make it true.

I wasn't gonna say it, but it's true of mine, as well. Not knowing much about it, I have mixed feelings of my own.

Author:  SirWhit [ Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:58 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Pokémon Go

SimplyDredge wrote:
Agent 86 wrote:
SimplyDredge wrote:
Paula wrote:
My parents thought it was demonic too xP


Hmmm... I'm seeing a consensus here. In the mouth of 2 or 3 witnesses...

Just because several people said it doesn't make it true.

(Grunts unresponsively) If you say so... 8-)


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_populum

\:D/ \:D/ If you say so...

Author:  Connie G. [ Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:17 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Pokémon Go

I'll just *leave this here* http://www.p4rgaming.com/pokemon-creato ... satanists/

Page 1 of 2 All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/