PSP RPGs - Which pwnzors the rest?

This is a place where gamers can come and tell of their favorite games, discuss current games, head up gaming contests, and join in on online games that others are playing. It's a place run by gamers and enjoyed by all types of gamers alike.

What PSP RPG game is greatest?

Astonishia Story
No votes
Blade Dancer: Lineage of Light
No votes
Kingdom of Paradise
No votes
The Legend of Heroes
33%
Monster Hunter Freedom
No votes
PoPoLoCrois
No votes
Untold Legends I / II
No votes
Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth
67%

Total votes: 3

xiao
Set blasters to rapid-fire

PSP RPGs - Which pwnzors the rest?

Post by xiao »

VOTE FOR TEH WIN.
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Legend of Heros Tear of Vermillion is teh pwnzors I dont know about LoH 2 though.
xiao

Post by xiao »

They both got reviews below 6.5 at IGN...

I think the best ones are Kingdom of Paradise, Monster Hunter Freedom and VP: Lenneth
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Xiao wrote:They both got reviews below 6.5 at IGN...

I think the best ones are Kingdom of Paradise, Monster Hunter Freedom and VP: Lenneth
IGN has no personality or patience, they play the press demo and then shoot out a number to the sponsor thats paying the most. (So does most Ziff Davis publications)
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Yeah I tend to not trust IGN...

*prefers the GBA/DS RPGs* \:D/
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

The Top Crusader wrote:Yeah I tend to not trust IGN...

*prefers the GBA/DS RPGs* \:D/
Ala Zelda? ;)
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Zelda and the Final Fantasy ports and Mario ones... those are the only ones I've ever played, though supposedly Fire Emblem is groovy... :-k
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

The Top Crusader wrote:Zelda and the Final Fantasy ports and Mario ones... those are the only ones I've ever played, though supposedly Fire Emblem is groovy... :-k
Final Fantasy 3 DS is coming...complete redesign. Eat that PSP.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Yeah, but PSP has ports of some random PS2 games! TAKE THAT, NINTENDO!!!!! :x

I heard on the wrestling game it literally takes 6.5 minutes to load a match on the PSP! \:D/
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

The Top Crusader wrote:Yeah, but PSP has ports of some random PS2 games! TAKE THAT, NINTENDO!!!!! :x

I heard on the wrestling game it literally takes 6.5 minutes to load a match on the PSP! \:D/
Yeah I read that in EGM.
Bmuntz
Former Mayor

Post by Bmuntz »

The Top Crusader wrote:Zelda and the Final Fantasy ports and Mario ones... those are the only ones I've ever played, though supposedly Fire Emblem is groovy... :-k
Fire Emblem is a sweet game if you like turn based strategy and a good story line.

I need to get that game back from my friend that borrowed it to almost 3 months ago.
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Bmuntz wrote:
Fire Emblem is a sweet game if you like turn based strategy and a good story line.

I need to get that game back from my friend that borrowed it to almost 3 months ago.
I need to go buy the second one... >_>
xiao

Post by xiao »

Eugene Kendall wrote:
Final Fantasy 3 DS is coming...complete redesign. Eat that PSP.
Huzzah! A remake of a poop old RPG game with old features, a terrible story and poop characters! How could this possibly compete with the actual ORIGINAL RPGs of the PSP?? I can't even imagine?!?!

Face it. If the DS and PSP are going to go face-to-face in one particular TRADITIONAL genre, the PSP is going to win. Always.

Also, if you think a FF3 remake is cool (which it isn't,) then you should check out "Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core" for the PSP. The graphics are better then FF X, with no aliasing at all, and the particle and lighting effects are amazing. It's the only "real" follow up to FFVII. You play as Zack. Supposedly the fighting system is like the FF XIII improved FF fighting. More actiony but still FF.

Eat that DS.

DS FF -

PSP FF (Yes, that is confirmed to be an in-game screenshot) -

Also don't pull that "graphix dont mttr lolz gaemplay is teh winnar" thing.

The DS remake uses a gameplay system 20 years old on a underpowered system (the DS) with hardware 5 + years old, all while bringing absolutely nothing new to the RPG table whatsoever. Innovative? I don't think so.

The PSP game revolutionizes the RPG genre with tons of new gameplay ideas also being used in XIII which previewers are saying "will change the face of the genre forever". Combined with amazing graphics, a better story, more likeable characters, far better gameplay, no annoying touch screen gimmicks that don't work with the game at all, it's really obvious that the PSP cannot be defeated by one poop FF 3 remake.

Oh, and Zelda isn't really an RPG at all. It's an adventure game. Hardly an RPG.

Edit - double post removed. - Catspaw
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Well, yeah... Zelda is as much an RPG as Metroid...
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Im not going to make a long post just to prove and idiotic point, but first I will say that they are redesigning the whole system, you cant determine if the sotry is better because you havent experienced eitheir stories, that screenshot from the DS version is like 4 times bigger than it should be. And you cannot determine the quality of a game you havent even experienced, so stuff it until you play it. Also I dont believe crisis core will revolutionize anythingthing, except for the fanlistings for FF7 subsidaries.

The point is Xiao, you cant judge either game because you havent played them, and the original FF 3 wasnt released in US so the story/character/system cant be judged from you. So get you face out of IGN.

...wow and if the PSP is beating the DS in traditional gaming you should tell me what of the 3 good PSP games beats well lets see...traditional? Hmm NSMB is good for traditional...not to mention its the DS's top game(Gamespot)...another platformer which is the PSPs top game (Gamespot)...is Daxter...ouch.
xiao

Post by xiao »

Eugene Kendall wrote:Im not going to make a long post just to prove and idiotic point, but first I will say that they are redesigning the whole system, you cant determine if the sotry is better because you havent experienced eitheir stories, that screenshot from the DS version is like 4 times bigger than it should be. And you cannot determine the quality of a game you havent even experienced, so stuff it until you play it. Also I dont believe crisis core will revolutionize anythingthing, except for the fanlistings for FF7 subsidaries.

The point is Xiao, you cant judge either game because you havent played them, and the original FF 3 wasnt released in US so the story/character/system cant be judged from you. So get you face out of IGN.

...wow and if the PSP is beating the DS in traditional gaming you should tell me what of the 3 good PSP games beats well lets see...traditional? Hmm NSMB is good for traditional...not to mention its the DS's top game(Gamespot)...another platformer which is the PSPs top game (Gamespot)...is Daxter...ouch.
I don't care if "ur" not going to make a long post just to prove "and" idiotic point, it's too late. You already did! Nice job with the oxymorons. (and don't say I did the same thing - I never said this post wasn't going to be long)

Anyhow, it's time to kill the rest of your pathetic post. Don't worry, I won't humiliate you too much.

Actually yes I have experienced one of the stories. That of the original FF3, the japan one. I own it. And yes I can read some japanese. But I had it hacked into english anyways. Now, I know that's a bad screenshot of the DS one, but either way you have to admit that the DS one is completely blown out of the water by Crisis Core. If you don't, then you're seriously not worth arguing with. And yes I can determine the quality of the game - I have experienced both versions. I've played a good few hours of the DS game in Boston - although it was japanese, it will still pretty fun. And I have also played a very small amount of Crisis Core - if you're wondering how, my father works at a newspaper, and they have an online site that is mostly dedicated to game reviews. We got Shadow of the Colossus a few days after it went gold. He gets to test stuff because his best friend works in the game department. He knows that I like games, so he gives my Dad some copies or wierd demos to play and I check 'em out. And yes, Crisis Core will revolutionize the way we look at handheld RPGs, both in terms of cinematic and graphical quality, and in gameplay and story quality.

Moving on.

To your next point, actually, I have played them both, but "Get your face out of IGN"?? What the poop? I hardly go to IGN, just for news but not reviews or anything like that. Mostly videos. GS is getting better at that too now, so w00t. Also, even if I had played them, yes, I could judge them. If you're not allowed to speak or judge or talk about or compare anything before you yourself have played / seen / read it, then forums would be poop. The whole reason they exsist is debates. Guess what? These games are going to be costing me more then $30. Who is to say I can't say if they're good or not? Forums are all about opinions - and if people aren't allowed to have opinions then no discussion would be left.

Well if you're going to compare Daxter with NSMB.... they're about as good as each other actually. NSMB is cool, awesome graphics, addictive gameplay, but hardly anything new, no replay value, zero creativity, complete ignoration of the touch screen... hmm... to me it sounds like NSMB would be better fit for the PSP! D'oh!

By traditional I wasn't referring to old fashion you dope. I was talking about normal genres such as fighting, racing, RPG, shooters, etc., rather then something that only the DS would be able to participate in, like touch screen interactive games

I'm sorry EK, there are times that I know I am wrong but I argue anyways for the sake of debate, but this is not one of those times. It simply is that you are wrong this time. Can't win em all. I know you'll reply to this with some ignorant post continuing to defend your pointless...er...points, but face it, I'm right on this one, and hopefully if you have half a brain you'll recognize it. ;)

However, I'm not saying that the PSP is a better system then the DS - I own them both (a DS lite actually, now) and I greatly enjoy them equally - but you seem to think that there is no part whatsoever of the DS that the PSP can beat, and this is just completely foolish. Overall, PSP is good for normal games, DS is good for wacky touch screen games but not normal games. Neither is better - get em both.

The end.

Oh and also (sorry, but I can't edit with this poop windows ME computer),

part of the reason I may seem very annoyed with you would be because once again out of countless times, you have taken a topic about the PSP, and turned it into a "DS is better" topic. Can't you see? You don't have a PSP - so shut up about it and let the other folks talk. And no, your brother having one doesn't count. Actually I can't think of a single thread even mentioning the PSP, PS2 or PS3 or ANYTHING at all Sony, and then turning it way offtrack into a "NINTENDO IS WIN SONY SUX LOL" argument.

Just.....I know it's hard for you.... just...please, PLEASE stop being such a huge fanboy. I'm not. I said multiple times that the 360 is really good, the PS3 will own and so will the Wii, and that the DS and PSP are equal.

Edit - double post removed. And apology accepted. ;) - Catspaw
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Xiao wrote:
Eugene Kendall wrote:Im not going to make a long post just to prove and idiotic point, but first I will say that they are redesigning the whole system, you cant determine if the sotry is better because you havent experienced eitheir stories, that screenshot from the DS version is like 4 times bigger than it should be. And you cannot determine the quality of a game you havent even experienced, so stuff it until you play it. Also I dont believe crisis core will revolutionize anythingthing, except for the fanlistings for FF7 subsidaries.

I don't care if "you're" not going to make a long post just to prove "and" idiotic point, it's too late. You already did! Nice job with the oxymorons. (and don't say I did the same thing - I never said this post wasn't going to be long)

Anyhow, it's time to kill the rest of your pathetic post. Don't worry, I won't humiliate you too much.

Actually yes I have experienced one of the stories. That of the original FF3, the japan one. I own it. And yes I can read some japanese. But I had it hacked into english anyways. Now, I know that's a bad screenshot of the DS one, but either way you have to admit that the DS one is completely blown out of the water by Crisis Core. If you don't, then you're seriously not worth arguing with. And yes I can determine the quality of the game - I have experienced both versions. I've played a good few hours of the DS game in Boston - although it was japanese, it will still pretty fun. And I have also played a very small amount of Crisis Core - if you're wondering how, my father works at a newspaper, and they have an online site that is mostly dedicated to game reviews. We got Shadow of the Colossus a few days after it went gold. He gets to test stuff because his best friend works in the game department. He knows that I like games, so he gives my Dad some copies or wierd demos to play and I check 'em out. And yes, Crisis Core will revolutionize the way we look at handheld RPGs, both in terms of cinematic and graphical quality, and in gameplay and story quality.

Moving on.

To your next point, actually, I have played them both, but "Get your face out of IGN"?? What the poop? I hardly go to IGN, just for news but not reviews or anything like that. Mostly videos. GS is getting better at that too now, so w00t. Also, even if I had played them, yes, I could judge them. If you're not allowed to speak or judge or talk about or compare anything before you yourself have played / seen / read it, then forums would be poop. The whole reason they exsist is debates. Guess what? These games are going to be costing me more then $30. Who is to say I can't say if they're good or not? Forums are all about opinions - and if people aren't allowed to have opinions then no discussion would be left.

Well if you're going to compare Daxter with NSMB.... they're about as good as each other actually. NSMB is cool, awesome graphics, addictive gameplay, but hardly anything new, no replay value, zero creativity, complete ignoration of the touch screen... hmm... to me it sounds like NSMB would be better fit for the PSP! D'oh!

By traditional I wasn't referring to old fashion you dope. I was talking about normal genres such as fighting, racing, RPG, shooters, etc., rather then something that only the DS would be able to participate in, like touch screen interactive games

I'm sorry EK, there are times that I know I am wrong but I argue anyways for the sake of debate, but this is not one of those times. It simply is that you are wrong this time. Can't win em all. I know you'll reply to this with some ignorant post continuing to defend your pointless...er...points, but face it, I'm right on this one, and hopefully if you have half a brain you'll recognize it. ;)

However, I'm not saying that the PSP is a better system then the DS - I own them both (a DS lite actually, now) and I greatly enjoy them equally - but you seem to think that there is no part whatsoever of the DS that the PSP can beat, and this is just completely foolish. Overall, PSP is good for normal games, DS is good for wacky touch screen games but not normal games. Neither is better - get em both.

The end.

Oh and also (sorry, but I can't edit with this poop windows ME computer),

part of the reason I may seem very annoyed with you would be because once again out of countless times, you have taken a topic about the PSP, and turned it into a "DS is better" topic. Can't you see? You don't have a PSP - so shut up about it and let the other folks talk. And no, your brother having one doesn't count. Actually I can't think of a single thread even mentioning the PSP, PS2 or PS3 or ANYTHING at all Sony, and then turning it way offtrack into a "NINTENDO IS WIN SONY SUX LOL" argument.

Just.....I know it's hard for you.... just...please, PLEASE stop being such a huge fanboy. I'm not. I said multiple times that the 360 is really good, the PS3 will own and so will the Wii, and that the DS and PSP are equal.

Edit - double post removed. And apology accepted. ;) - Catspaw
Who the poop are you, Jared? I have a hard time believing you Xiao, your dad works at a newspaper? Uhh yeah. Ok...I'll believe that as soon as you show me your 2.6 PSP running emus...now I believe you on the FF 3 because it has been translated over ROMs, but yeah the post above was half a boatload of poop trying to spark an argument...and for the record you are a Sony fanboy. Goodbye.
xiao

Post by xiao »

Nice job quoting the entire post, EK...

Anyways yes my Dad does work at a newspaper, the Boston Herald, he is an editorial cartoonist therefore for some reason widely liked. He commutes to Boston every day except mondays and weekends.

Also I really have no idea what you are talking about the PSP thing. I can show you FF3 running on my Lite though. I don't have the Crisis Engine test, but I got to play it for like... 10 minutes... lolz.

Also I'm not a Sony Fanboy, if anything I like the PC the most. I like Nintendo just as much as Sony but aparently it is neigh impossible to have a discussion with a Nintendo fanboy. Seriously, I have never seen a bigger fanboy then you in my entire life. Lolz. I love how you completely ignored the points of the post like turning it offtopic, therefore proving your fanboyism and such.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

TURBO GRAFX 16 PWNS YOU ALL!!!! :x
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Xiao wrote:
Also I really have no idea what you are talking about the PSP thing.
You told me you had emus running on the 2.6 PSP *ignores the rest of the post because he dosent feel like responding to a bunch of intelligent smack*