The Song Interpreter

originality at its finest

Have something you'd like to sell? Want to purchase user created goods? This stretch of road is where all the merchants set up shop!
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

JesusIsAlive wrote::lol: That was an amazing interpretation. Did you happen to hear some of us singing it while we were walking to DeMoss after lunch for the group picture on Saturday? \:D/
I heard the Hairbrush song and the Cheeseburger song, but I guess I missed that one :(
KODY 105 wrote:I didn't mean to confuse you- I guess there was no context. The silly songs usually have no correlation with the surrounding plot.
What I meant was that I didn't see the movie it was in.

*hopes the song actually was in a Veggie Tales movie :anxious:*
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

LizzieG wrote:
JesusIsAlive wrote::lol: That was an amazing interpretation. Did you happen to hear some of us singing it while we were walking to DeMoss after lunch for the group picture on Saturday? \:D/
I heard the Hairbrush song and the Cheeseburger song, but I guess I missed that one :(
KODY 105 wrote:I didn't mean to confuse you- I guess there was no context. The silly songs usually have no correlation with the surrounding plot.
What I meant was that I didn't see the movie it was in.

*hopes the song actually was in a Veggie Tales movie :anxious:*
It was. Most of the older ones were better, but they are all silly. The older ones were just of a higher caliber. Remember the "I Love My Lips" song? Say, can you do "I Love My Lips" as well, please? I'll pay extra for this one!
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
JesusIsAlive
Former Admin (x2.5)
Former Admin (x2.5)

Post by JesusIsAlive »

Awh, Christina took my song idea! :x Oh well. I can't wait to see what it's interpretation is! \:D/
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

EDIT: Scroll down to see my interpretation of Sorry by the Jonas Brothers. Or read both if you haven't already; my interpretation of In The End is one of my favorites to date! \:D/

On the almost one-month anniversary since anyone posted in this thread... :anxious:

Sorry for the long neglect, guys. I have nothing to blame except my poor time management skills. I will tackle the bulk of these over Thanksgiving break, but until then... no promises...

...except that I am posting a song interpretation right now! \:D/

~*~
Linkin Park wrote:In The End

(It starts with)
One thing / I don’t know why
It doesn’t even matter how hard you try
Keep that in mind / I designed this rhyme
To explain in due time
All I know
time is a valuable thing
Watch it fly by as the pendulum swings
Watch it count down to the end of the day
The clock ticks life away
It’s so unreal
Didn’t look out below
Watch the time go right out the window
Trying to hold on / but didn’t even know
Wasted it all just to
Watch you go
I kept everything inside and even though I tried / it all fell apart
What it meant to me / will eventually / be a memory / of a time when I tried so hard
And got so far
But in the end
It doesn't even matter
I had to fall
To lose it all
But in the end
It doesn't even matter
One thing / I don’t know why
It doesn’t even matter how hard you try
Keep that in mind / I designed this rhyme
To remind myself how
I tried so hard
In spite of the way you were mocking me
Acting like I was part of your property
Remembering all the times you fought with me
I’m surprised it got so (far)
Things aren’t the way they were before
You wouldn’t even recognize me anymore
Not that you knew me back then
But it all comes back to me
In the end
You kept everything inside and even though I tried / it all fell apart
What it meant to me / will eventually / be a memory / of a time when I tried so hard
And got so far
But in the end
It doesn’t even matter
I had to fall
To lose it all
But in the end
It doesn’t even matter
I've put my trust in you
Pushed as far as I can go
For all this
There’s only one thing you should know
I've put my trust in you
Pushed as far as I can go
For all this
There’s only one thing you should know
I tried so hard
And got so far
But in the end
It doesn’t even matter
I had to fall
To lose it all
But in the end
It doesn’t even matter
Though this song seems almost general enough to be about any loss or great fall, it is neither vague nor general to the members of Linkin Park. To them, this is a brutally honest, autobiographical song – a reminder that their ascension in the musical world came at a terrible price.

The lead singer of Linkin Park, you see, had lofty political aspirations back in 2003. A rising star in his city government, these youthful ambitions carried him first to regional attention, then, suddenly, the eyes of the nation were upon him. This young dreamer, who was amazed by the effect his words had on people - words like “You can close your eyes to the things you do not want to see, but you cannot close your heart to the things you do not want to feel” - decided he would run for president in 2004. The powers that be decided that his young age wasn’t an issue. Everything was falling into place – even his friends, because of their association with him, seemed to have rosy futures awaiting them on the political front.

But it all changed on November 25, 2003. While preparing for his first major rally, he saw a guitar strategically placed next to his red-white-and-blue suitcase. He had played off and on in his more carefree days, but suddenly had the urge to put some of his most quotable slogans and catchphrases into song.

It was a set up.

Suddenly, the press were upon him with their flashing cameras and aghast questions. Suddenly, the words that had sounded so inspiring now sounded like nothing more than silly song lyrics, and his credibility as a serious political figure was shattered. The rally was a complete failure, and not even his city council would take him back.

With nowhere else to turn, he and his friends embraced the musical world, and through that half-hearted hug have found success. Sadly, almost no one remembers him as a presidential candidate, and those who do call him a joke.

Only one thing is uncertain: why he is talking about this personal tragedy now, after five years of silence. Could a political comeback be in the works, or maybe a book detailing his life story?

Or perhaps this is simply his way of telling his girlfriend about that painful fall from favor... and to explain why he has a hard time being happy on her birthday.

*********************************************************************************************

*dusts off the Open sign and pushes the creaky door open* :-

I actually wrote two interpretations to this one because I couldn’t definitively decide on one. \:D/
The Jonas Brothers wrote:Sorry

Broken hearts and last goodbyes
Restless nights but lullabies
Helps make this pain go away
I realize I let you down
Told you that I'd be around
Building up the strength just to say

I'm sorry
For breaking all the promises that I wasn't around to keep.
Its all me
This time is the last time that I will ever beg you to stay.
But your already on your way.

Filled with sorrow, filled with pain
Knowing that I am to blame
For leaving your heart out in the rain
And I know your gonna walk away
And leave me with the price to pay
But before you go I wanted to say

Yeah!

That I'm sorry
For breaking all the promises that I wasn't around to keep
Its all me
But you're already on your way.

Can't make it alive on my own
But if you have to go, then please girl
Just leave me alone.
Cause I don't want to see you and me going our separate ways.
I'm begging you to stay
If it isn't too late

I'm sorry
For breaking all the promises that I wasn't around to keep.
Its all me
But your already on your way.

But your already on your way...
Once upon a time, there was a boy who, like boys often do, lost his baby teeth one by one. He left the first one under his pillow for the Tooth Fairy, but when he only got a nickel in exchange, he felt cheated and decided to look for a better deal elsewhere.

However, unbeknownst to the boy, the Tooth Fairy came every night after he’d lost a tooth, and each time went away feeling sad and betrayed. This went on for some time, with the boy pawning off his teeth during recess, and the Tooth Fairy finding nothing under his pillow.

It all changed one day…the day the boy lost his last tooth. That day, one of his classmates reprimanded him about his foolish ways, explaining that the Tooth Fairy always left a wonderful present in exchange for a child’s last tooth… and that his actions had not only cost him that present, but that he had likely hurt the feelings of the very-sensitive Tooth Fairy.

The boy was torn between feeling genuinely guilty and wanting the marvelous present, so he stayed up late writing this very emotional song (or, at least, a less-refined version of it) to try to win the Tooth Fairy over. Ironically, however, he forgot to put his newly-lost tooth under the pillow with the letter. So, even though the Tooth Fairy was very moved by his words, she could not leave him anything.

The boy never again took anyone for granted. Years later, he polished up the song and had it published, so all apologetic people everywhere could unite.

~*~

Or this song is about a child who’s all grown up and is finally parting with his (or her) teddy bear. The anguish of parting is expressed here, and the regret at having not played enough with it… or not taking as good of care of it as he/she could have. This song, however, is full of many exemplary life lessons that even those not dealing with the pain of giving up their favorite stuffed animal can heartily relate to. Oh, and the line For leaving your heart out in the rain makes sense only after you’ve seen the following picture of the infamous teddy bear:

Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

I'd never heard either of the songs - until five minutes ago. \:D/

I especially enjoyed your interpretation of "In the End." Who knew Linkin Park had such lofty goals? :shock:

Your interpretations of "Sorry" were also quite splendid, also. :yes: I don't think I ever put my tooth under my pillow - I just asked my parents for a dollar. :noway:
BrokenButBeautiful
Certified Theatre Geek
Certified Theatre Geek

Post by BrokenButBeautiful »

Haha, nice! I love it!

:D

<3<3<3
BBB
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

For Kait:
One Republic wrote:Stop and Stare

This town is colder now, I think it's sick of us
It's time to make our move, I'm shakin off the rust
I've got my heart set on anywhere but here
I'm staring down myself, counting up the years
Steady hands, just take the wheel...
And every glance is killing me
Time to make one last appeal... for the life I lead

Stop and stare
I think I'm moving but I go nowhere
Yeah I know that everyone gets scared
But I've become what I can't be, oh
Stop and stare
You start to wonder why you're 'here' not there
And you'd give anything to get what's fair
But fair ain't what you really need
Oh, can u see what I see

They're tryin to come back, all my senses push
Un-tie the weight bags, I never thought I could...
Steady feet, don't fail me now
Gonna run till you can't walk
But something pulls my focus out
And I'm standing down...

Stop and stare
But I've become what I can't be, oh
Stop and stare
You start to wonder why you're here not there
And you'd give anything to get what's fair
But fair ain't what you really need
Oh, you don't need

What u need, what u need...

Stop and stare
But I've become what I can't be
Oh, do u see what I see...
If the lyrics make this song sound like a cry for action… well, you have no idea how right you are. “I think I’m moving but I go nowhere,” he repeats in each chorus, but what you may not realize is how literal that phrase is supposed to be taken. If you saw the music video, you’d understand. And you’d laugh.

Picture this: a twenty-something, sitting in one of those coin-operated kiddie car rides outside of Wal-Mart. For hours. By the time he finally breaks out into song, it’s night, and he finally realizes that everyone has been giving him strange looks all day. Some people have even taken pictures of him and laughed! But he can’t help it that the car’s broken!

Though this young man unfortunately lacks common sense, he has a knack for eloquently making whatever isn’t going his way sound like it’s the end of all things. This song was a hit at first, but when the music video came out, it – and he – lost all credibility… though that video has been quite a hit on stupidvideos.com.

*********************************************************************************************

For Jennie (maybe I should start writing these before the askers leave the ToO :anxious:):
Sugarland wrote:Baby Girl

They say this town the stars stay up all night,
well I don't know, can't see em,
through glow of the neon lights
well its a long way from here,
to the place where the home fires burn,
well its two thousand miles and one left turn...

[Chorus:]
Dear Mom and Dad please send money,
I'm so broke that it ain't funny,
well I dont need much just enough to get me through,
please dont worry cause I'm alright,
see I'm playing here at the bar tonight
well in this town I'm going to make our dreams come true.
well I love you more than anything in the world,
Love your baby girl

black top, blue skies big town full of little white lies,
everybodys your friend, you can never be sure,
they'll promise fancy cars and diamond rings and all sorts of shiny things,
but girl you'll remember what your knees are for

[Chorus:]
Dear Mom and Dad please send money,
well I dont need much just enough to get me through,
please dont worry cause I'm alright,
well in this town I'm going to make our dreams come true.
well I love you more than anything in the world,
love your baby girl

I know that I'm on my way,
I can tell everytime I play,
I'll know that it's worth all the dues I payed when I can write to you and say:

Dear Mom and Dad I'll send money
I'm so rich that it ain't funny
well it ought to be more than enough to get you through
please dont worry becasue I'm alright
see I'm staying here at the Ritz tonight
what do ya know it made our dreams come true
and there are fancy cars and diamond rings
but you know that they dont mean a thing
cause they all add up to nothing compared to you,
well remember me in ribbons and curls,
I still love you more than anything in the world,
Love your baby girl

Your baby girl
(Dear Mom and Dad please send money,
well I dont need much just enough to get me through)
Your baby girl
(please dont worry cause I'm alright,
-dreams come true.)
Harold Dowdy was sitting in his favorite chair reading the evening paper when he heard the door open downstairs. He heard the familiar footsteps padding their way up to his study, but he didn’t stop reading until his wife poked her head in. “Dinner’s almost ready,” she told him.

He nodded, smiled, promised to be right down, then returned to his newspaper. It wasn’t until he was halfway down the next column that he realized that his wife, Janet, was still standing in the doorway. “Something wrong, dear?”

“Well… it’s the strangest thing…” she said, fiddling with an envelope she was holding. She looked confused, but not necessarily worried or upset. “I got a letter from our Baby Girl today.”

Harold squinted, not understanding. “She’s been gone almost a month, I never thought we’d hear from her again. Did someone find her?”

She handed him the letter. “Here, read it. It looks like she wrote it herself.”

He read the letter, with its barely-legible scrawl, then took off his glasses and rubbed his eyes. “Well, I’ll be. Where’d she learn how to write?”

“You always underestimated her, Harold,” Janet said, somewhat impatiently. “That’s probably why she left in the first place. You taught her how to play piano, and now she’s off playing it in bars, and you’re surprised she apparently learned how to write?”

Harold didn’t reply, but glanced at the paper again. “It doesn’t say anything about why she left…” he mused.

Janet sighed again. “From the looks of things, she was dissatisfied with how limited she was here. I mean, she barely got enough food to eat here!” She paused. “Well, it is good to know she’s alright.” Turning, she started for the door. “Don’t forget, dear, dinner’s in 5.”

Three weeks later, they got another letter from their Baby Girl, this time with glowing reports and a picture of her. Things were obviously looking up, and the Dowdys were, of course, happy for her.

This is the picture she sent.
JesusIsAlive
Former Admin (x2.5)
Former Admin (x2.5)

Post by JesusIsAlive »

:hilarious: Those were awesome, Lizzie! Keep up the good work! \:D/