[ 6 posts ] 
 Post Post subject: Dated episodes
Posted: Sun May 14, 2017 11:19 am 
I don’t know what I’m doing!

Cash: 67.72
I think a lot of the episodes from the series are timeless.

But, as with any long running series, there will be exceptions.

Off the top of my head, the Castles And Cauldrons two parter is certainly dated. Whether or not you like the game the episode is based on, which is personal preference, it certainly can be said now that the concern that Dungeons and Dragons was demonic in nature was unfounded and all hype.

Fun fact, the creator of the game, Gary Gygax, was actually a Republican-then later a Libertarian- and a Christian. Dave Arneson, also a co-creator of the game, was a devout Christian as well, and was said to have been a loyal friend and "had that rare quality among people that he could be truly happy for his friends." (From his online memorial.)

What other episodes can you think of that seem dated after all these years?

Offline Profile E-mail  

Post Post subject: Re: Dated episodes
Posted: Sun May 14, 2017 1:35 pm 
-
Loyal

Cash: 254.09
Bank: 0.00
The Blackgaard saga was wonderful in many ways, but the one thing that strikes me about its earlier episodes is that the writing staff at the time didn't know a lot about technology. It was passable when addressing a captive and uninformed audience, but a bit cringeworthy to those 'in the know'. Now pretty much everyone knows the basics of computers and electronic gadgets and that "that's not how it works", and the episodes suffer a little for it. (That said, by Darkness before Dawn they seemed to be basically up to par.)

Offline Profile E-mail  

Posted: Sun May 14, 2017 5:54 pm 
I don’t know what I’m doing!

Cash: 67.72
Bob wrote:
The Blackgaard saga was wonderful in many ways, but the one thing that strikes me about its earlier episodes is that the writing staff at the time didn't know a lot about technology. It was passable when addressing a captive and uninformed audience, but a bit cringeworthy to those 'in the know'. Now pretty much everyone knows the basics of computers and electronic gadgets and that "that's not how it works", and the episodes suffer a little for it. (That said, by Darkness before Dawn they seemed to be basically up to par.)

There are also a lot of 90s movies that are quite dated and invoke a feeling of "that's not now that works" when you go back and watch those, either.

That issue seems to have plagued a lot of 90s projects in different media forms.

Offline Profile E-mail  

Posted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:39 am 
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Old... but not obsolete.

Highscores: 1

Cash: 9,999,999,994,415,320.00
Bank: 5,584,680.26
Blog: View Blog (1)
Along with the first Blackgaard saga... and even years later when Whit had gone and Jason and Jack were running Whit's End (and even some random Jimmy Barclay episodes mentioning Zap-a-Zoids), the references to arcades is kind of funny. I mean, yes, technically speaking arcades do still exist, but back at the time of the original Blackgaard saga the idea of a stand alone arcade "Blackgaard's Castle" was perfectly plausible, as that kind of thing was all over the place. A lot of kids these days probably have no idea what that's all about. :mecry:

I'm bored today so come ask me questions here as the topic suggests.

Offline Profile  

Posted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:57 am 
I'm finally not a No0b
Santa Fe-

Cash: 1,409.11
We do if we have seen Wreck-it Ralph. \:D/

There's the obvious mentions of pagers (which I still have no idea what they are), "cellular phones", computers that sound like dying factories, etc. But in general I've just accepted they take place years ago, not today. I suppose that's not the point here, but still. =p

#NEWSIESFOREVER

Offline Profile E-mail  

Posted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:02 am 
Why am I even here?
So creamy and delicious ba ha ha

Cash: 107.80
Bank: 180.10
Blog: View Blog (1)
Certainly, some of the episodes can feel like the old series of MacGyver, where things just magically work because they came up with a complicated enough explanation. One of those that certainly reminds me of this is Novacom, though the novelty of it will never wear off. What if Novacom had taken over Apple Watches instead!?!? Let's make a new one!

http://odysseynerds.wordpress.com is my AIO Blog

Offline Profile E-mail  

[ 6 posts ]