Manuscript 6: Fendar's Legacy

*Spoilers*

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!

Please rate the book, Fendar's Legacy.

5 Stars = Excellent
25%
4 Stars = Good to Great
No votes
3 Stars = Okay
75%
2 Stars = Below Average
No votes
1 Star = Wouldn't want to read again
No votes

Total votes: 4

Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Manuscript 6: Fendar's Legacy

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Last but not least, we have come to the sixth Passages book, Fendar's Legacy, or as James Curtis put it - Chronicle of the Delivered. The first book with 3 children, we get to follow 2 different storylines at the same time. Up to this book, all the children from Odyssey were sent to directly help the "good guys" - this throws in the twist of Michelle actively working against Fendar. Her role was, I thought, a clever way to give a reason for the king's hardening of heart. Her humbling was one of the most apparent lessons...and even after her obnoxious behaviour I find myself feeling sorry for her when she finds herself imprisoned and alone after her wrong choices. It made me think of Eugene in The Time has Come, how sometimes God has to strip us of everything before we'll face who we really are. Michelle's "I'm sorry," to the Unseen One was a poignant moment, at least for me. :) As well as when Danny was told that he had no need of the blood on his forehead, that he was already sealed in the Lamb's blood. Great illustration.

Also I enjoyed how all the different plagues were translated. The frogs, lice, etc. were not the same at all, but in both the crops, animals, and first born sons died. Then what in the Bible was darkness over the land, in the book it became unbearable light.

Parallels:

People:
Fendar = Moses
Wondrar = Aaron
King Stefan = Pharoh

Events:
As was already stated, in both stories the king/Pharoh's heart was hardened after each plague, even a few times after saying he would let the Marutians/Israelites go.
The lamb's blood spread on the foreheads of the first-born sons = lamb's blood spread on the doorposts and lintel.
The cloud rising and the Marutians being able to walk over the canyon, and then the Palatians attempting the same only to fall to their deaths = the Red Sea parting and the Israelites walking across on dry ground, and the Egyptians starting to cross only to be drowned.

Thoughts, additions, corrections? \:D/
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Good stuff, Laura! I agree that Michelle's turning point was very moving. :) Her realization that she had a flawed idea of freedom and the pain that she went through from her rejection really came across strongly.

I also liked how the plagues were altered, with some exceptions, like Laura pointed out. It kept me guessing, wondering what was going to happen the next time Wondrar tapped the staff!

Wondrar - I couldn't decided if it should mean wanderer or wonderer. :-k Or just wonder, since the wondrous signs happened with his involvement. Moses as Fendar - defender? I liked how the brothers' names both had the same "ar" ending! Funny name stuff - The Promised Land and The Wilderness - I found both of those quite amusingly used! :lol:

Paul McCusker has a serious issue with rats who like to nibble at people's ankles. :( There was a reference to nibbling rats in this book, and one or two other ones - definitely 4 or 5, or maybe both. Plus Robyn is warned about the rats who like to nibble at people's ankles in the AIO episode "Elijah," which, after reading the Passages books, I'm going to assume that Paul McCusker wrote without checking on that. ;) If he didn't write it, then he influenced the script in the rat department!

I was a little disappointed that Miriam didn't make an appearance at all, but I guess she really doesn't enter into the biblical account during the events covered. They still could have mentioned her here and there, though! She does play an important role in Moses's full story.

This wasn't my favourite Passages book overall. I did enjoy it, but I think it would rank as one of my least favourite. Not that there was anything really wrong with it, but it didn't grab me quite as much as the others did. It was good, just not great, for me. There were a few moments that led to deep, profound, spiritual insights for me, but I forget the details right now. :anxious: But there is lots of good stuff in here!

I found the epilogue particularly interesting - what a way to finish it! :mad: Talk about writing in circles... ;) I'd like to think that James Curtis will never show up again, because he returned to Marus and was involved in a new adventure that allowed him to use his gifts for the Unseen One. :)
JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

Just out of curiosity, did James Curtis' initials stick out to anyone else, or was that jsut me - esp since he seems to be the keeper of the books.....
A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ that a man would have to seek Him to find her.

JF, JesusFreak777, and JF777 are all copyrighted by this user. Any violators will be fined and prosecuted. Thank you.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

To clarify, what were you pointing to with the initials? The only significant JC that I can think of is Jesus Christ, and I really don't think there's a purposeful connection there, since James really isn't a Christ figure in any way and, to me, at least, it would just cause theological issues. But maybe you were thinking of something totally different...
JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

Ignore that post. I wrote it while heavily medicated and I have no idea what I was talking about.
A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ that a man would have to seek Him to find her.

JF, JesusFreak777, and JF777 are all copyrighted by this user. Any violators will be fined and prosecuted. Thank you.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Thanks for making me waste perfectly good brain power on trying to find something deep and profound, based on your post. :x

...But I am glad that you are apparently better enough to not need to be heavily medicated any more! :D
Samurai Neil
Popsicle kid

Post by Samurai Neil »

I really don't think James Curtis will come back. I think he will die in Marus. I found this to be my least favorite book, with the exception of the epilogue, which is like the ultimate ending ever.
COMING SOON: RANDOM ECONOMY TEXTBOOK QUOTES
jennifertwt
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by jennifertwt »

This was my second favorite in the whole series. My absolute favorite is still Arin's Judgement. I liked that the biblical parallel was recognizable, but at the same time, you never knew what was coming next. If I had read this one first, it might have been my favorite, but Arin's Judgement still stands.
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden