Arizona Sunrise Question

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
rickyderocher
My posts are revolutionary

Arizona Sunrise Question

Post by rickyderocher »

Ok, I am wondering, is the story in the Arizona Sunrise episode a real story from history or is it just fiction? I always thought that this was a historic episode like "The Day Independance Came" or "Amazing Grace". But I tried looking up "Rev. James Clinger" online, and haven't found anything, other than Odyssey pages about the episode. So maybe I'm really silly for thinking that this was history and all the time and it wasn't ? Or is the story in "Arizona Sunrise" true?
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

Hmmm, I don't know. Maybe they changed his name for the show (?). I know they did that with at least some of the characters in "A Single Vote."
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Yeah, I remember that right after I heard the episode a few years ago I tried to figure out if it was based on a true story or not. Chris doesn't say anything in the wrap-up like they sometimes do for true stuff. This is just a guess and I have no idea if this is anywhere close to accurate, but they could have kind of combined bits and pieces of different real stories to create a fictional one that had the tone they were looking for. The exact story could be fictional but the heart of the story could be based on actual events. Does that make any sense? :-k (I guess it could make sense and still be totally wrong...) ;)
rickyderocher
My posts are revolutionary

Post by rickyderocher »

Well, I emailed Nathan Hoobler about this question and I just got an email back from him:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Taken directly from the new "Official Guide." :-)

The Story of Reverend James Klinger

Many listeners have written in to ask if the story of James Klinger in
³Arizona Sunrise² is a true one. In the episode, a circuit-riding minister
sets out to save the life and the soul of an old Apache warrior. Though the
characters in this episode were fictional, the story is based on an actual
historical event. Apaches did go out into the wilderness when they thought
it was their time to die. In 1905, a Lutheran pastor went searching for an
Apache chief who had done just that. He found the chief, brought him
back to civilization, and nursed him back to health.

Also, many circuit riders roamed the American frontier. Pastors traveled
from town to town much like James Klinger did in this adventure.
Francis Asbury was one of the most famous riders. Like an army general,
he organized a group of brave pastor-riders to travel across the country;
they made a difference everywhere they went.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

Well there you have it! (Somehow, I guessed the Guide would help... I might get mine today!)

Hmmm... interesting... I've heard this somewhere before... History books? Hmmm... maybe....
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Apparently I need to spend more time with my new Official Guide! Thanks for sharing the answer with us, Ricky! Now when I'm reading my Guide, I'll be trying to figure out why it sounds so familiar. :anxious: