Adventures in Odyssey School Club! (~ideas needed!)

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
LizzieG
I've been working out

Adventures in Odyssey School Club! (~ideas needed!)

Post by LizzieG »

Since last spring, I've been considering starting an Adventures in Odyssey Club at my school, given how many Odyssey fans I've run across at my college. Now that school's about to start, it's time to start thinking about it again.

Here are some rough ideas...
  • Listen to and discuss each new episode
  • During the off-weeks, pick another episode to listen to and discuss
  • AIO-themed discussions (favorite characters, episodes, Odyssey news, etc.)
  • Sharing Odyssey books, loaning of episodes (though could get dicey if episodes are involved, with people wanting to burn CDs, etc.)
  • AIO marathon listening
  • Watching the videos
  • Playing Answer That!
The thing is, a lot of Odyssey fans I know aren't up-to-date with the show, so I would want to make this a club that doesn't alienate those listeners... also, we would need to have a weekly structured plan, particularly during the off-season. :-k

Any and all ideas/suggestions/comments are very helpful! :D
Kairi
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Kairi »

For the ones who aren't caught up on what's been happening in our favorite completely ordinary (don't mind the company that's trying to take over the world!) small town, maybe you could hold seminars (or something of that sort) where you give a recap about what's happened since they stopped listening.
*CAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW*
Irwin
Springer from Odyssey

Post by Irwin »

Wow, I've never run into another Odyssey fan. :(
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

I've ran into a bunch of people who know what AIO is... not that they are current, like me. I was introduced by friends... lead some friends to it... and met many who know about it.

Hmm... I had never thought of an AIO fan club at school.... being in HS just kinda alienates anything childish in the beginning for me and my "world", (most the school and such... must get mature... throw childish ideas out the window... whatever...). But, what you've got so far sounds really good!

To draw them gradually into current stuff, since most are not up-to-date, give them an overview of just about everything, from album 1 to 50. Then if they have anymore questions, you could answer them, and they should be up to date. Then they can smoothly roll into the new season, and not be lost!!! (Not that many could... sounds like everything is changing). They might get back into!

Just an idea... this is kinda something my brain is like... ?Ha? on... so...
:) Good luck on this. I'm sorta jealous....
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

It should be easy for any actual die hard fans... but I am assuming most of them are like "Oh yeah I listened back in the day and Whit went to the Middle East or something." "Oh yeah! Well he came back!" "Oh, cool, I guess." "Yeah! Ya wanna know what has happened since then!?" "Uhh... no, not really. Golden Girls is on soon."

At least, that is my experience... Everyone I know who is familiar with it listened when they were in the target age range or so but has happily moved on with life since then. :boohoo:
BrokenButBeautiful
Certified Theatre Geek
Certified Theatre Geek

Post by BrokenButBeautiful »

Aw, I know hardly anyone who likes AIO. I've been lucky enough to meet one person in my youth group (my best guy friend and Beef Taco on here) who is an AIO lover. Last night, he was quoting AIO on my wall on Facebook and I was figuring out what episode they were from. But he's the only AIO lover I've ever personally met.

<3<3<3
BBB
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

I hadn't met many until I started college; now it seems like every time I wear my Odyssey shirt, I meet another big fan. :D

Thanks for the ideas - keep 'em coming! I'm going to send out an email to my AIO "contacts" once I get back to school, to see what kind of response I get to this idea...

...though I must say, the thought of leading a club sounds rather... scary. :anxious:
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

That's an awesome idea, Lizzie; sounds like a blast! I would recamend doing a different activity each meeting. For example; one week could be a "dress up like your favorite character" competition, with best design, most original, etc. awards or one week you could do a friendly debate with forced sides, like; what was better; Blackgaard or NovaComm. Also, you could play fun games, like one I played at a drama workshop one time. One person leaves the room and the rest of the group decides on a character (we did it with characters from the play we were working on, but you would, of course, use AIO). Then, the person who had left returns and tells three small groups of people to do a certain action (brush their teeth, change a flat tire, whatever) as the chosen character would do it and they have to guess which character it was. (like, Bernard would be grumpy brushing his teeth and Wooton would be excited to change a flat tire)

You could also try doing a devotion every week, either by listening to an episode and discussing the study questions or using the AIO devotions book.
The Top Crusader wrote:Everyone I know who is familiar with it listened when they were in the target age range or so but has happily moved on with life since then. :boohoo:
Being happy without AIO. I just don't understand some people. :noway:
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ