Top Ten underused Characters

Create your own List!

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
Bennett
Someone's favorite

Post by Bennett »

TOP TEN UNDERUSED CHARACTERS:

Some characters in Odyssey are used to their fullest, such as Connie, Eugene, Whit, Bernard, and Wooton, but others, aren’t as fortunate and seem to be used to be . As the new season approaches, here is a list of characters that I'd like to see used a lot more…

10. The Chairman. Odyssey has been quite silent the past couple of years? Is Odyssey ready to bring back “Adventure” back in “Adventures in Odyssey”?
9. Rusty Gordon. The Most silent Villain I’ve ever heard. He was the center of havoc for about 3 seasons. So where is he?
8. Dale Jacobs. There once was a time when Dale Jacobs was a center of the show alongside Whit. It would be great if we could have our favourite town reporter returning to the show.
7. Jack and Joanne Allen: Oh, it’s nice that they are still being used as much as they are, considering how old the actors are. But it would be nice if they both one last storyline together.
6. Agnes Riley: Do we want to hear more of her? Hmm. No. But we do want to know what Happens to her. We’re hoping for a nice closure for Tom on the show. But, part of me wonders what will happen to Agnes?
5. Whit’s Inventions: Yea, I know they aren’t characters. “The Imagination Station”, “The Room of Consequence”, and “The Transmuter” must be collecting dust in the corner. Episodes where we used to used them to experience what could not be experienced, “Why don’t you grow up?” are actually being played out in real life; “Switch”. Why don’t we let the unrealistic be played out in the inventions, and the realistic stuff to be used in real-life Odyssey.
4. Monica Stone. We need Jason to get a romance, and soon. Is he still being brought letters from our favourite spy?
3. Jason Whittaker: He’s reckless, debonair, funny, and the girls love him! He served as a center to the show, along with Jack Allen back in Odyssey’s middle years, but has since been used sparingly…and well…sometimes stupidly.
2. Rodney Rathbone: This character isn’t as much underused as he is misused. And we thought Connie was stuck in time! Rodney Rathbone has had the same personality, the same whiney voice forever now! He reached his peak back in Darkness before Dawn, by wreaking true havoc, and going to jail, but since, we’ve endured post-Novacom Rodney Rathbone for 10 years now? It’s nice to have characters that don’t change. But Rodney Rathbone needs a serious makeover and
1. Nick Mulligan. He’s an employee of Whit’s End. He’s hilarious. He’s like the young Bernard Walton. But where is Nick Mulligan? He makes a good side-kick for Whit, and says what we’re all thinking when Connie says something dumb! Oh sure, he’s a Mulligan, which is why some might dislike him since it reminds them of the earlier Mulligan episodes. But how many didn’t cry with his scenes in “A Lamb’s Tale”? I want to hear more about nick Mulligan, including more of his past. With the return of Eugene, I feel he’ll be left out. His presence around Whit’s End is refreshing and brings a unique and original aspect to the show, while successfully appealing to both younger and older audiences.

So, make your own list!
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Bennett wrote: 3. Jason Whittaker: He’s reckless, debonair, funny, and the girls love him! He served as a center to the show, along with Jack Allen back in Odyssey’s middle years, but has since been used sparingly…and well…sometimes stupidly.
:inlove: *swoons* :inlove:

...Pardon me, what were you saying about the girls loving Jason? :- I am certainly hopeful that the events of album 50 don't mean that Jason will be absent for long, because I love him! There are lots of great episodes. He can be a total idiot sometimes, and I just cringe at what he's about to do ("Shining Armor" is a good example), but he really does learn from his mistakes, and that's valuable. Plus he's totally cool! \:D/

To go along with Jason, I definitely agree that Monica needs to make a comeback! Ever since she asked Jason if he would bring her flowers in jail and he said, "Maybe on Valentine's Day," I've been eagerly awaiting her return, only to be left disappointed. :( I like Tasha, but especially with a change in voice and with their most recent encounter not sounding very romantic, I would like to see Monica return. Even if it isn't in a "romance with Jason" context, I'd enjoy seeing her return. I vaguely recall writing some (most likely cringe-worthy) fanfic on the TH where I had Monica come back to Odyssey and Whit and Jack and Jason had visited her in prison and she eventually became a Christian or was going to in the near future, and though whatever I wrote was likely quite lame ;) I would like to see a redemptive angle where Monica considers the gospel message and reunites with her brother and develops good relationships.

If I recall correctly, Bennett has always been a big Nick Mulligan fan! I'm not his biggest fan, but I would like to hear more from him. "A Lamb's Tale" did have some great moments with him, and even in more casual use, he's an interesting character. :D

I'm not sure who else I would add to a list like this. Maybe somebody will come to mind later!
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Jason
Jack and Joanne

Those are the ones I would like to hear more of.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Very cool list! There are some characters I want to see return, and some I don't. I would hate it if Blackgaard returned... again. :x But I want Rodney, Jason, Jimmy and Nick to return more! (All guys... :-k) Nick and Rodney are like the funniest Odyssey characters ever; Wooten can't quite cover all the gap.

Plus, I'm still awaiting the return of Mitch, so I can show up and rival him for Connie's heart! :inlove: I'm going to need to give this guy a name sometime... :-k
Laurie wrote:Jason
Jack and Joanne

-- 30 Aug 2009 05:50 pm --

Jason
Jack and Joanne

Those are my picks.
We heard you the first time.

;)
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

American Eagle wrote:... :-k
Jack and Joanne

Jason
Jack and Joanne

Those are my picks.

;)
Don't ask me how I did that because the only thing I know is, it has been that kind of day. Sorry about that.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

10 – Jimmy Barclay: I hated to say him… but he came back before, and I want him back even more now! Come on Jave Griffin!

9 – Monica Stone: She was good… and Jason with her! So, yeah, bring her on back… she was creating romantic in the air, and Mitch and Connie couldn’t top!

8 – Samantha McKay: I love little kids that like… don’t eat their green beans, but say they do… and big brother finds them in the trash later! (Only By His Grace). She’s adorable! Come back Sam!

7 – Digger Digwillow (right?): Totally underused. What, two episodes? Three? I know, LONG time ago… but was cute. Started off the Imagination Station!

6 – Isaac Morton: No comment… but he was cool.

5 – Robert Mitchell: Yeah, yeah, totally Connie’s match (apart from Maxwell), but… he is definitely in the need of coming back… there is so much more to explore!

4 – Carson McKay: I know, he’s hardly been around, but I want to know more… hope you comes back… along with the rest of the McKay’s. :)

3 – The Chairman: Stickler at being on the show… so much mystery… who was he? Can’t he come back? Explore please!

2 – Richard Maxwell: No, you don’t say? Underused and still desperately wanted! He was so mysterious, and yet, nothing from him… we don’t know enough… they didn’t go deep enough with this boy. And I’m still wanting here!

1 – Jellyfish (Myron): …. You should know why… but, because he was cool… underused cause he was around for a few episodes, gone… not fair!
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Laurie wrote:
Jack and Joanne

Jason
Jack and Joanne

Those are my picks.

;)
Don't ask me how I did that because the only thing I know is, it has been that kind of day. Sorry about that.
No problem. \:D/ Hope your day gets better! :D
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Great topic, Bennett! Except for the part about Agnes. Unless it somehow involves Tom's departure.

I actually couldn't come up with a top ten list, so here's my top seven list of most underused characters. \:D/

7. Pamela Hayden. Okay, okay, she isn't really a character. But speaking of which, let's talk about Katrina. Ever since she and Eugene got married, there has been a serious lack of spark in their relationship. Kind of ironic, since their relationship was only interesting when it was filled with conflict and miscommunication. Perhaps that's why the writers haven't used her much in the last several years. :(

6. Kelly. With her recent conversion, I think they could really use her character to explore a lot of the issues that some of the earlier Odyssey kids faced, but from a different angle. One of the unique aspects about Kelly is that she doesn't come from a Christian background, and so she could provide an entirely different perspective on the whole faith issue.

5. Edwin Blackgaard. Who cares that Earl Boen is retired! We want more of Edwin!

4. Trent DeWhite. His voice has changed, but so did Jimmy's! And besides, we want to hear what happens between him and Mandy. Oh wait, Odyssey can't promote dating because that's evil. :x

3. Everett Meltsner. The fact that Shane Baumel has recently been in involved in Odyssey (as the voice of Kyle in Darien's Rise) gives me great hope that we could see this young actor return to play the voice of Eugene's younger brother. There are endless possible storylines they could take with Everett; however, that would require them bringing him (and potentially Leonard) back from Africa.

2. Monica Stone. As people have mentioned, there are lots of unresolved issues here, not the least of which is her relationship (or non-relationship) with Jason. Even if nothing happened between her and Jason, I'd love to see her make a return to the show.

1. Richard Maxwell. We haven't heard from the guy since I Slap Floor, which never actually happened. I'd love to see him somehow involved in Tom's goodbye, when and if it ever happens.
Danielle Abigail Maxwell wrote:6 – Isaac Morton: No comment… but he was cool.
Yes, because we all know Odyssey is seriously lacking in the geek department. ;)
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

American Eagle wrote:
Laurie wrote:
Jack and Joanne

Jason
Jack and Joanne

Those are my picks.

;)
No problem. \:D/ Hope your day gets better! :D
Thanks! :D
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

Oh, Everett! I should have added him! Blah... I'm bad, I know... Hey, geeks can be cool... at least, by my definition...
Irwin
Springer from Odyssey

Post by Irwin »

Irwin Springer from Odyssey. He's a history professor over at Campbell College.
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

Max Hampton and Uncle Joe. (Although, Parley Baer passed away, so that won't be happening :sad:)
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ
Bennett
Someone's favorite

Post by Bennett »

Yeah, they pretty much killed any chance of Richard coming back with I Slap Floor.

I really wonder how the odyssey team was thinking during that time...
nickerlas
Lurker

Post by nickerlas »

haha. i can only think of a few
JIMMY BARCLAY -I MISSS YOU PAL! ur my fav charactor.. especially in ur teen years
Richard Maxwell - he's good
Rusty Gordon
lawrence
nic
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

Trent DeWhite wrote:
Yes, because we all know Odyssey is seriously lacking in the geek department. ;)
Odyssey isn't seriously lacking in the geek department. We've got Whit the inventor/secret agent, Eugene the sidekick, Alex the boy-who-thinks-the-computer-is-his-lifeline, Mandy-the-sweet-girl-with-a-temper-that-can-snap-your-head-off, and Trent the cello-playing-wonder-boy. We've got enough nerds.

tags fixed ~ KBT
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
Bennett
Someone's favorite

Post by Bennett »

TigerintheShadows wrote:
Trent DeWhite wrote:
Odyssey isn't seriously lacking in the geek department. We've got Whit the inventor/secret agent, Eugene the sidekick, Alex the boy-who-thinks-the-computer-is-his-lifeline, Mandy-the-sweet-girl-with-a-temper-that-can-snap-your-head-off, and Trent the cello-playing-wonder-boy. We've got enough nerds.

tags fixed ~ KBT
Wow. And here I thought Trent DeWhite was using sarcasm.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

If I were to make a list (genius idea Bennett), the character I would put on there that, at this point, hasn't shown up on anyone else's list is Aubrey. I was genuinely disappointed that the Shepards were written off.

Seth, too, for that matter isn't used as much as he could be, but seeing as the AIO team was, imo, misusing his character near the end of his tenure, that may be for the best.
Oba-rai
Blackgaard Prankster
Blackgaard Prankster

Post by Oba-rai »

Aubrey is definitely an underused character, as is Monica Stone.

I do agree with Bennett that the Katrina of Pamela Hayden is flat - not sure if it's the writing, or the acting, or a combination of both? I miss the old Katrina, she felt like a deeper character.
they may be copper,
annoying little coins! but,
they might be giants.
save your pandas: vote racecar!
JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

I agree with Aubrey and a few othes. However, there is a really good reason Monica hasn't come back: She went to jail for several felonies. At lest in the USA she coudl be looking at 10-15 for each one. Those stack up. In other words, Monica Stone is probably never coming back. :(
A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ that a man would have to seek Him to find her.

JF, JesusFreak777, and JF777 are all copyrighted by this user. Any violators will be fined and prosecuted. Thank you.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Monica Stone could come back as the central character in an all-new episode... BTV: Redemption. \:D/
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!