The Ultimate, Final Debate: Blackaard VS Novacom!!!!

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!

Which saga do you prefer?

The Blackgaard Saga
58%
The Novacom Saga
42%

Total votes: 50

The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

AIOP... I like your assessment, but I can't fully agree with it. I mean... I think terror is only MORE of an issue now than it was in the 80's and 90's. Seriously--no one really cared about that stuff until 2001, a few years after DBD. ;)

But I do see some of the parallels. In the 80's Christian parents were afraid their kids would go to arcades and use a fortune machine--I've always thought that it was really dumb for Blackgaard to start with stupid stuff like that. ;) I kind of assume the writers didn't know where the story was going at that point. "I AM SUCH AN EVIL MAN I SHALL OPEN AN ARCADE IN A CONSERVATIVE TOWN!!!! MUAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!"

But sure, the rise of "big business" plays a part in the Novacom arc. I think you are selling Blackgaard short, though... he is incredibly ruthless. He was working with a virus that could wipe out the world, after all. ;)
AIO Psyche
Geniune Disney Cast Member

Post by AIO Psyche »

The Top Crusader wrote:AIOP... I like your assessment, but I can't fully agree with it. I mean... I think terror is only MORE of an issue now than it was in the 80's and 90's. Seriously--no one really cared about that stuff until 2001, a few years after DBD. ;)

But I do see some of the parallels. In the 80's Christian parents were afraid their kids would go to arcades and use a fortune machine--I've always thought that it was really dumb for Blackgaard to start with stupid stuff like that. ;) I kind of assume the writers didn't know where the story was going at that point. "I AM SUCH AN EVIL MAN I SHALL OPEN AN ARCADE IN A CONSERVATIVE TOWN!!!! MUAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!"

But sure, the rise of "big business" plays a part in the Novacom arc. I think you are selling Blackgaard short, though... he is incredibly ruthless. He was working with a virus that could wipe out the world, after all. ;)
Do you not, however, agree that Blackgaard mostly talked, and Novacom mostly DID things? I feel like Blackgaard felt that petty criminal work was beneath him, so he set up his network of goons and thugs to do his work for him. I do agree that it's rather laughable that a man who tried to take over the world with a killer virus started off building and managing an arcade to capture the souls of children. :lol:

In regards to terrorIsm and the like, while terrorism may be more feared and seen as a very real threat today, it really began to take hold and come into the public conciseness around when Blackgaard was introduced. While it may been more of a threat now, it was a new and uncertain threat at the time. Just as with Novacom, you really began to see these large companies and scandals come out about big businesses when Novacom was introduced.

You know, I always wondered what it would be like if these sagas were geared towards young adults instead of AIO's typical crowd. How much more intense and epic would these sagas have been??
Last edited by AIO Psyche on Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Taps
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Taps »

AIO Psyche wrote:
The Top Crusader wrote:AIOP... I like your assessment, but I can't fully agree with it. I mean... I think terror is only MORE of an issue now than it was in the 80's and 90's. Seriously--no one really cared about that stuff until 2001, a few years after DBD. ;)

Do you not, however, agree that Blackgaard mostly talked, and Novacom mostly DID things? I feel like Blackgaard felt that petty criminal work was beneath him, so he set up his network of goons and thugs to do his work for him. I do agree that it's rather laughable that a man who tried to take over the world with a killer virus started off building and managing an arcade to capture the souls of children. :lol:

In regards to terrorIsm and the like, while terrorism may be more feared and seen as a very real threat today, it really began to take hold and come into the public conciseness around when Blackgaard was introduced. While it may been more of a threat now, it was a new and uncertain threat at the time. Just as with Novacom, you really began to see these large companies and scandals come out about big businesses when Novacom was introduced.

You know, I always wondered what it would be like if these sagas were geared towards young adults instead of AIO's typical crowd. How much more intense and epic would these sagas have been??
Yeah no kidding! They should make another version for older people. But can you imagine, If like an 8 year old turned on the radio and Blackgaard was like shooting everybody?!? :lol:

I think it is cool for Blackgaard to have people do his work for him. After all he had the most brilliant mind in the world. Just crazy. But I liked it how he was kinda like the big brain behind everything. Epic.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Well see that is part of the appeal of Blackgaard... I don't think it was just that violence was "beneath him" but he could pin his crimes on his underlings that way (like Richard burning Tom's barn, etc). He kept his hands clean so he was pretty much untouchable by the law--that's smart.

And yeah, there would have been a lot more violence and intense situations if AIO was geared toward teens or 20-somethings. :( Alas.
AIO Psyche

Post by AIO Psyche »

The Top Crusader wrote:Well see that is part of the appeal of Blackgaard... I don't think it was just that violence was "beneath him" but he could pin his crimes on his underlings that way (like Richard burning Tom's barn, etc). He kept his hands clean so he was pretty much untouchable by the law--that's smart.

And yeah, there would have been a lot more violence and intense situations if AIO was geared toward teens or 20-somethings. :( Alas.
At the very least, if those sagas would have been geared towards 20 something's, it would have been more realistic. Especially with Blackgaard. I think that he could have been been more of a scary villain had they given him more 'teeth' so to speak.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Indeed, he alway sounded... censored, in his threats. ;)
AIO Psyche

Post by AIO Psyche »

The Top Crusader wrote:Indeed, he alway sounded... censored, in his threats. ;)
Absolutely. That's why I always loved Novacom better, is because it always seemed to me that the writers were given alot more creative freedoms than they were with Blackgaard.

Plus, if I'm being honest, Blackgaard always was kinda cheesy.......:-$
Taps

Post by Taps »

AIO Psyche wrote:
The Top Crusader wrote:Indeed, he alway sounded... censored, in his threats. ;)
Absolutely. That's why I always loved Novacom better, is because it always seemed to me that the writers were given alot more creative freedoms than they were with Blackgaard.

Plus, if I'm being honest, Blackgaard always was kinda cheesy.......:-$
Cheesy!?! How did you get that? You mean kinda like a formula villian?
AIO Psyche

Post by AIO Psyche »

thegreenringC wrote:Cheesy!?! How did you get that? You mean kinda like a formula villian?
Yes, exactly. I always imagined that anytime Blackgaard would be detailing his evil p,an, he was twirling this mustache in his fingers with a black cape and top hat. :lol:

He always seemed like such a stereotypical villain. Not anything really different or original about him.

Again, this is why I love Novacom so much. We had variety, and lots of unexpected twists and turns. To me, this is the true classic AIO saga.
Taps

Post by Taps »

AIO Psyche wrote:
thegreenringC wrote:Cheesy!?! How did you get that? You mean kinda like a formula villian?
Yes, exactly. I always imagined that anytime Blackgaard would be detailing his evil p,an, he was twirling this mustache in his fingers with a black cape and top hat. :lol:

He always seemed like such a stereotypical villain. Not anything really different or original about him.

Again, this is why I love Novacom so much. We had variety, and lots of unexpected twists and turns. To me, this is the true classic AIO saga.
I guess I can see your point. Although I had fun listening to it. But I really enjoy Novacom don't get me wrong. Even more then Blackgaard. But I still very much enjoy Blackgaard.
AIO Psyche

Post by AIO Psyche »

thegreenringC wrote:I guess I can see your point. Although I had fun listening to it. But I really enjoy Novacom don't get me wrong. Even more then Blackgaard. But I still very much enjoy Blackgaard.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I IMMENSELY enjoy listening to the Blackgaard saga, especially DBD. I just feel like Blackgaard and Novcom are two completely different villains, and I personally prefer Novacom.

I still think that Blackgaard should have been tied into Novacom somehow.........:-k
Taps

Post by Taps »

AIO Psyche wrote:
thegreenringC wrote:I guess I can see your point. Although I had fun listening to it. But I really enjoy Novacom don't get me wrong. Even more then Blackgaard. But I still very much enjoy Blackgaard.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I IMMENSELY enjoy listening to the Blackgaard saga, especially DBD. I just feel like Blackgaard and Novcom are two completely different villains, and I personally prefer Novacom.

I still think that Blackgaard should have been tied into Novacom somehow.........:-k
I totally agree with both those sentences :)
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

AIO Psyche wrote: I still think that Blackgaard should have been tied into Novacom somehow.........:-k
Eh, there is such a thing as overusing a villain. I mean, technically, they had already used Blackgaard twice (5 and 25, not including Waylaid), so, I can see why they chose to leave him out of NovaCom.
Caswin
Found

Post by Caswin »

ric wrote:Eh, there is such a thing as overusing a villain. I mean, technically, they had already used Blackgaard twice (5 and 25, not including Waylaid), so, I can see why they chose to leave him out of NovaCom.
They had also killed him off pretty hard. Basically, it was time for something new.
Novacom transmission... one, two, three... testing, one, two, three...
ric
Isaiah 6

Post by ric »

Caswin wrote:
ric wrote:Eh, there is such a thing as overusing a villain. I mean, technically, they had already used Blackgaard twice (5 and 25, not including Waylaid), so, I can see why they chose to leave him out of NovaCom.
They had also killed him off pretty hard. Basically, it was time for something new.
Exactly.

Oh, and A Name, Not Number, so...technically, they had used Blackgaard 4 separate times.
Taps

Post by Taps »

ric wrote:
Caswin wrote:
Exactly.

Oh, and A Name, Not Number, so...technically, they had used Blackgaard 4 separate times.
True but Waylaid and Number were both just two parters. ... :( But I think Novacom was a little over the top... pushed the realism limits. The Green Ring Conspiracy was the most believable.
Steve
No way I broke the window

Post by Steve »

thegreenringC wrote:
ric wrote:
Caswin wrote:
Exactly.

True but Waylaid and Number were both just two parters. ... :( But I think Novacom was a little over the top... pushed the realism limits. The Green Ring Conspiracy was the most believable.
Uh... not in some places.
he/him | a little stinker.
No way I broke the window

Post by 31899 »

Leonard Meltsner wrote:
Mark Prescott wrote:
31899 wrote:I'd say Dr. Blackgaard over The Chairman, but Mitch over Maxwell.
Mind control over terror, but dark tunnels over office buildings.

So all AIO has to do now is come up with a combination of Dr. Blackgaard, Mitch, Mind controll, and dark tunnels! \:D/
(TGRC)
So now we'll wait and see if Mr. Grout can pull off this combination!
Well, No. "The Green Ring Conspiracy" is not in the same category as Blackgaard and Novacom.

Did anyone else notice how both the anti-heroes were a bit psychotic, but in different ways? Arthur Dent was actually crazy, and Maxwell was unpredictable beyond reasonable measures. Which anti-hero was better?

Last edited by 31899 on Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Taps

Post by Taps »

Steve wrote:
thegreenringC wrote:
ric wrote:
Caswin wrote:
Exactly.

Uh... not in some places.
Like what?
Caswin
Found

Post by Caswin »

31899 wrote:Did anyone else notice how both the anti-heroes were a bit psychotic, but in different ways? Arthur Dent was actually crazy, and Maxwell was unpredictable beyond reasonable measures. Which anti-hero was better?
I still haven't heard all of Richard Maxwell's episodes, but even from what I have heard, he just doesn't fascinate me the way that Arthur Dent does.

That said, as far as his madness, he actually seemed fairly sane until Mr. Charles and his friends got their hands on him. That's one of the downer points of NovaCom: Arthur Dent is driven insane, apparently by artificial means, and when we last see him, he's still as nutty as ever. (At least he's happy...)
Novacom transmission... one, two, three... testing, one, two, three...