This Needs to Stop! (PETITION)

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Ha. Ha. Ha. :lol:

That's awesome.
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
Peachey Keen
Smile for the camera
Post by Peachey Keen »

This is great news! For now... Once the webmaster of FAIO is able to use the new server, things will be back to normal. :(
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

I don’t see why people treat this as a victory, it’s not even an unforeseen event. FAIO and anyone that knows how their site works knew this would happen and probably were waiting for it.
As we’ve already established, FAIO uploads nothing. So when the databases they stream get cleared, of course they lose the content. That’s why their site is legal.

But going back to the previous topic, the problem is right here:
Peachey Keen (bold added by me) wrote:The webmaster of FAIO is just linking to other peoples uploads, but lots of people still download from it.
So what you’re saying is the site should be punished for something its users might do. That position doesn’t make sense.
If the site itself were doing something illegal, by all means take action! But by your own acknowledgment, they aren’t. If anything is being done illegal it would be on the part of a user. Yes someone might use the site improperly, but might is no reason to blame the site. The site cannot be blamed for the possible actions of their visitors. If they could, then whitsend.org and any other website that plays episodes are put in the same category. Every site that plays episodes has visitors that might do something unethical. So if that is your basis for taking down FAIO you can’t pick and choose.

You have to define why you think the site is wrong because there are different takes on this depending on the reason.
Is it that their users might be unscrupulous, or is it that they play episodes in the first place?

Dallas R. wrote:Good to know. And yes, you've got the basic idea of the videos. I put together clips of all three actors who have played Whit and put them together so that they would have a conversation. Same with both actors who have played Bart Rathbone. I'd say no clip is longer than six or seven seconds.
Then I would definitely file a takedown dispute with Youtube.
Jason Whits Son
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Jason Whits Son »

Here is a status report on the focus server reset from faio.
Takedown Status Report
Posted by Faio Admin on August 15, 2011 at 3:25 PM

I think I removed most of the broken episodes. We went from having over 450 episodes to having about 273.
manfrednissley
I've been here a bit

Post by manfrednissley »

Apparently nobody saw this so here goes again.

http://www.focusonthefamily.com/about_u ... olicy.aspx
Restrictions on Use of Our Online Materials

All materials contained in the Focus on the Family Web sites ("Online Material") are the copyrighted property of Focus on the Family. All trademarks, service marks, and trade names are proprietary to Focus on the Family. No Online Material from our Web sites may be copied, reproduced, republished, uploaded, posted, transmitted, or distributed in any way, except that you may download one copy of the materials on any single computer for your personal, noncommercial home use only, provided that you 1) retain all copyright, trademark and propriety notices, 2) you make no modifications to the materials, 3) you do not use the materials in a manner that suggests an association with any of our products, services, events or brands, and 4) you do not download quantities of materials to a database, server, or personal computer for reuse for commercial purposes. You may not, however, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute our Online Material in any way or for any other purpose unless you get our written permission first. Neither may you add, delete, distort or misrepresent any content on the Focus on the Family sites. Any attempts to modify any Online Material, or to defeat or circumvent our security features is prohibited.

Everything you download, any software, plus all files, all images incorporated in or generated by the software, and all data accompanying it, is considered licensed to you by Focus on the Family or third-party licensors for your personal, non-commercial home use only. We do not transfer title of the software to you. That means that we retain full and complete title to the software and to all of the associated intellectual-property rights. You're not allowed to redistribute or sell the material or to reverse-engineer, disassemble or otherwise convert it to any other form that people can use.
Most recent post: 12/1/2013, Thankfulness
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

manfrednissley wrote:Apparently nobody saw this so here goes again.

http://www.focusonthefamily.com/about_u ... olicy.aspx
Restrictions on Use of Our Online Materials

you do not download quantities of materials to a database, server, or personal computer for reuse for commercial purposes. You may not, however, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute our Online Material in any way or for any other purpose unless you get our written permission first.
Manfred, it looks like you added a bold tag to the beginning of this section but didn't end it, so I'm not sure if you meant to also bold the above section, but I think it's definitely worth noting. I think that what FAIO does falls under the category of uploading (or distributing) their materials for reuse, which falls under what they ask not to be done. Thanks for sharing this section, Manfred. :)
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

Catspaw wrote:I think that what FAIO does falls under the category of uploading (or distributing) their materials for reuse, which falls under what they ask not to be done.
I don’t know about FAIO, that’s pretty gray. I can see it both ways. The other sites that actually upload the episodes, yes they are wrong.
The ‘one personal copy’ thing is an unspoken understanding with most copyrights, and only makes sense. You bought it legitimately, you can make a copy for a backup in case something happens to it. You just can’t sell it. It’s good to hear FOTF actually say that, not many companies do.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

This whole petition thing seems.. kinda dumb. The guy who built this site knows what he's doing.. he has a decent disclaimer on the bottom, and by the looks of it he actually put a lot of work into building it. If I were him, I wouldn't just take down my site because a bunch of unhappy kids signed some online petition. Whether it's ethical or not, he's got his butt covered, so he won't be overly concerned if a few people don't like what he's doing. This isn't really gonna achieve anything, and you guys look pretty silly by sitting here and rejoicing over a minor downfall or two. ;)
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
AIO Psyche
Geniune Disney Cast Member

Post by AIO Psyche »

Jelly wrote:This whole petition thing seems.. kinda dumb. The guy who built this site knows what he's doing.. he has a decent disclaimer on the bottom, and by the looks of it he actually put a lot of work into building it. If I were him, I wouldn't just take down my site because a bunch of unhappy kids signed some online petition. Whether it's ethical or not, he's got his butt covered, so he won't be overly concerned if a few people don't like what he's doing. This isn't really gonna achieve anything, and you guys look pretty silly by sitting here and rejoicing over a minor downfall or two. ;)
Indeed. This whole thing is stupid, and the people signing the petition are looking really pathetic rejoicing. Really silly.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

AIO Psyche wrote:This whole thing is stupid, and the people signing the petition are looking really pathetic rejoicing.
Who's rejoicing? FAIO still links to over 270 illegal episodes, and will likely soon be promoting '54.

I know this whole petition is a long shot, but maybe 33+ peoples' voices together will get FAIO's attention. Who knows?
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Sean Regan
Just visiting

Post by Sean Regan »

American Eagle wrote:Who's rejoicing? FAIO still links to over 270 illegal episodes, and will likely soon be promoting '54.

I know this whole petition is a long shot, but maybe 33+ peoples' voices together will get FAIO's attention. Who knows?
Um, you might want to take your idealistic glasses off that are clouding your common sense. If what they were doing was illegal, thye would be shut down by FotF. They're high profile enough that they could hardly escape notice. It may be your opinion that they are unethical, but the fact is, they do nothing that is strictly illegal.

And the problem is, you're ignoring the potential good that can result from the site while narrowmindedly seeing a black-and-white issue where none actually exists. It is people like you who I want out of the conversation when I discuss Christianity with unbelievers because bad arguments reflect poorly on our faith. Chances are you will ignore everything I just said, but honestly, you need to begin to think instead of seeing what you want to see.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

American Eagle wrote:I know this whole petition is a long shot, but maybe 33+ peoples' voices together will get FAIO's attention. Who knows?
Possibly, but I highly doubt it. ;) I think the best method of action would be to simply ignore it, and convince everyone else who agrees with you to ignore it as well. If people really want to listen to AIO episodes online for free, eh... why try to stop them? You can tell them it's unethical, but let them decide for themselves if they want to 'steal' revenue from FOTF. I also doubt that merely taking down the site will make people go buy more albums.. if people are so desperate that they need to listen online for free, they'll find other ways.

Also... how do you know that people aren't using the site to listen to episodes they might already own? Like, when I visited the site I started listening to an older episode I hadn't heard in awhile, even though I own it, because it's a lot easier then going to find the CD. Nothing unethical there.
Sean Regan wrote:It is people like you who I want out of the conversation when I discuss Christianity with unbelievers because bad arguments reflect poorly on our faith. Chances are you will ignore everything I just said, but honestly, you need to begin to think instead of seeing what you want to see.
lawl.. wut?
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Sean Regan wrote:
American Eagle wrote:Who's rejoicing? FAIO still links to over 270 illegal episodes, and will likely soon be promoting '54.
Um, you might want to take your idealistic glasses off that are clouding your common sense. If what they were doing was illegal, thye would be shut down by FotF. They're high profile enough that they could hardly escape notice. It may be your opinion that they are unethical, but the fact is, they do nothing that is strictly illegal.
Read my post again... I said they were linking to illegal[ly uploaded] episode... I didn't say they were doing anything illegal...

*ignores the rest of your post because it's my birthday* \:D/

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Musical Shutterbug
Film Score Addict
Film Score Addict

Post by Musical Shutterbug »

American Eagle wrote:*ignores the rest of your post because it's my birthday* \:D/

...and you won't allow people to say anything critical to you on your birthday? :(
Last edited by Musical Shutterbug on Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
*insert provocative quote here*
manfrednissley
I've been here a bit

Post by manfrednissley »

can someone tell me how not giving more than one penny to nonprofit for all of their products is wrong?
Most recent post: 12/1/2013, Thankfulness
gunblader3
Found

Post by gunblader3 »

Isn't this a beauty. I never knew such a site existed until now. Thanks I might be able to catch up on some AIO episodes I missed.......
Children are pure, they know who's the strongest. ~ Mask de Smith
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

Has anything else come of this, AE?

\:D/
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Lee wrote:Has anything else come of this, AE?
FAIO doesn't have the new album available, which is very pleasing! :) A recent post says, ..."you can listen to the episodes from Album 54 AS SOON as they become available through legal means." The site is linking to the new episodes week-by-week.

Also, I noticed that they are now linking to the video episodes which are legally uploaded to Jelly Telly (e.g.). That's a plus.

I don't know if these good changes have anything to do with our petition, but I'm encouraged either way. :yes:

The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

BOOOO I demand illegalities! :x
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

You are illegal, Top :noway:
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer