THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!!!!!!

LEGO!!!!!! You are making me MAD!!!!

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
Woody
Set blasters to rapid-fire

THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!!!!!!

Post by Woody »

Lego stole the name Rodney Rathbone.

This site spelled it wrong, but Lego is spelling it Rathbone. THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS!!!!!
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

A name is a name. And since it's not the same name...
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
Woody
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Woody »

But it is the same name! Rodney Rathbone. This site just misspelled it. In the Lego magazine I received today, it was spelled Rathbone.
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!
Mrs Jason Whittaker
Classic

Post by Mrs Jason Whittaker »

Hmm, kind of like Arthur Dent?
"Your days, at the most, cannot be long. It would be best to use them for the glory of God and the benefit of your generation."
-William Booth
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

That's...interesting. However, I highly doubt that very many people on the LEGO staff have ever even heard of AIO, never mind Rodney. I'm more inclined to think that it was a coincidence. As far as the spelling goes, I would look at the packaging for the LEGO minifig. If it's spelled "Rathebone", which it probably is (most people who edit wikis check these things), then the magazine was simply wrong. Magazines don't always have the correct information.

And you're right, MrsJasonWhitaker, although Odyssey's Dent was (most likely) an homage to the original instead of being a convenient Names The Same LEGO minifig.
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

It's probably Rathebone in British English. I noticed that his leg is of a new "mould" rather than a "mold." So maybe that's why packages in the US say Rathbone?

So... Rodney grows up, becomes a doctor (assuming a college degree and not a medical doctor), moves to London, loses his leg, and fights vampires. This means there's hope for the underachievers of the world?
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon
Vic
29K to go!

Post by Vic »

darcie wrote:It's probably Rathebone in British English. I noticed that his leg is of a new "mould" rather than a "mold." So maybe that's why packages in the US say Rathbone?

So... Rodney grows up, becomes a doctor (assuming a college degree and not a medical doctor), moves to London, loses his leg, and fights vampires. This means there's hope for the underachievers of the world?

And became a Lego figure. That's pretty impressive. Go Rodney.
~JCGJ~
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

Mrs Jason Whittaker wrote:Hmm, kind of like Arthur Dent?
That is an excellent point...
AiO did steal that name from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy...
They/Them
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Jehoshaphat
Someone's favorite
Post by Jehoshaphat »

I really couldn't care about them "stealing" a name from Odyssey. But I do like the speculations about what happened to Rodney when he grew up.
Unicorns exist... they just got fat and now we call them rhinos.
My online family
I am Monty's and thefinalhour Awesome Brother. GJ is my rebellious little sister
If you want me to be in your online family send me a PM.
Patterson
Tallying up

Post by Patterson »

*Bumps topic ten years later* Lego also has a character named Emily Jones. https://brickipedia.fandom.com/wiki/Emily_Jones
"Patterson! You're alive!" "No, I'm not Patterson. I'm his uh... brother, uh... Shmatterson!"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Hmm, I don't remember this thread from the first time around. I didn't realize that all these random characters had names. A few months ago I set a Lego puzzle (it was a real 1000 piece jigsaw puzzle and the picture was tons of Lego minifigures) and I gave them all nicknames (as in, "Hey, I think I found the missing piece of weird guy's shirt and purple scientist lady's coat") but maybe they had official names.

I guess there are only so many names out there, but it does seem like an interesting coincidence that there are several names that match AIO names.