Pronouncing Camilla's Name

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
BlessedCheesemaker
I'm a teapot
Pronouncing Camilla's Name

Post by BlessedCheesemaker »

Is there any other fans (who are familiar with the Latin American Spanish language) that are bothered by the English pronunciation of Camilla Parker's name? In Spanish, two L's make a 'y' sound. Instead of Ca-mill-a, the Latin America Spanish pronunciation would be Ca-mee-a. Some other Spanish speaking countries pronounce the double L's differently, but with a Mexican heritage, I think Eva and Abuelita would use the Latin American way.
Awesome signiture and avatar by snubs
Check out my shop on Crestwood Avenue! Want to know more about me? Ask me a question!
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

The Parker family is very...American cultured, to say the least. I'm not too sure about Abuelita, but Eva doesn't seem to be as concerned about keeping up the heritage as far as naming goes. She'd probably pronounce it the same as the English. Maybe she also requested that Abuelita do the same? :-s
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

Yeah, with names like Matthew, Camilla, and Olivia, she doesn't seem very Spanish. . .it's true it would be Cuh-mee-uh, but nobody calls Matthew Mateo! \:D/ And Nana/Mama Lucia/Mrs. Ortega/Abuelita. . .well, she calls them by their 'American' name.s
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

I'm not bothered at all. In my family, all our names are pronounced the English way, not the Spanish way, even though we're Spanish. It's just easier for people to pronounce your names the English way when you're in an English speaking country.
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

I pretty much agree, besides pronouncing Camilla Ca mee a doesn't really fit with the rest of the family.