Best Album 51+

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!

Which Album Do You Like The Best

Album 51 TOTALLY!
4%
Album 52 IS THE BEST!
No votes
Album 53 IS THE WINNER!
35%
Album 54 IS SO GOOD!
17%
Album 55 (if you downloaded it)
43%

Total votes: 23

Buzz

Best Album 51+

Post by Buzz »

Vote which album you like the best, from album 51 and up!
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

I'm thinking album 55, but i've only heard the first two episodes, so I can't really say that. Probably Album 53 for me, I liked album 54, just not as much.
Reddo
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Reddo »

I'd have to say best to worst is 55 53 54 52 51
Reddo
aiowiki - we have a lot of info, check us out sometime
The Kings Daughter
Sonbeam
Sonbeam

Post by The Kings Daughter »

My vote goes for 53, loved it! :D I really can't say much on 55 though, I've only listened to the Labyrinth Parts 1-3. :anxious:

SnC Forever. Miss you still.
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

Album 53...because I actually heard it. :anxious:
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
shadowdog
Still standing tall

Post by shadowdog »

In order from favorite to least favorite (album 55 not listened to yet):
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

Like most people, I'm inclined to go 53, 54, 52, and 51. I haven't fully heard 54. .but I liked most of it ;)
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
EMBEE
I've been working out
Location: Where is here? The last time I checked it was the same place as usual.

Post by EMBEE »

I think album 54 has been my favorite post-hiatus album so far. But 55 seems like it could take that place.
Thanks to my Secret Santa for the set!
Macy's Corner | My Tumblr | Deviant Art
Eight Muppety Notes: Tumblr | Twitter
Official Term 17 moderator
She left many of us behind. She left us heartbroken. And though we cry now there'll come a time when we'll laugh. Because we'll see her again someday. We'll be with her in heaven. And when we go to heaven she'll be there to greet us. She'll be there to say "Welcome home." -From a poem that SnC wrote about her grandmother
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

I really really liked 54. TGRC was great too, but they're so different it's hard to compare them. :shrugs: I'd rank them thusly. (not including 55 since I haven't heard it yet... )

54, 53, 52, 51. :p (pretty simple... )

\:D/
Agent 86
0x Moderator 0x Admin
0x Moderator 0x Admin

Post by Agent 86 »

out of 51-3 prob 51 then 52 then 53
^AIOluver^

Who am I? I'd rather not answer that question, the real question is, "Who are you?". Right now I am trying to think of something witty to put here.. I might not find anything, but that's fine. This block of text should be fine for a signature. Wait, are you still reading this? Why are you reading this? Stop. Seriously.
STOP.
This sentence is true.
The sentence above is false.

I dare you not to read this.
Hey! I said not to read this.
Maybe if I talk like this.
Wait, you still see me? *sighs* I give up.

http://blackgaardscastle.forumotion.com/
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Reddo wrote:I'd have to say best to worst is 55 53 54 52 51
THIS.

I've only heard 5 episodes of '55, but even if the remaining 7 are the lamest episodes ever, the first 5 will easily make up for them.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

^the above seems to be a common order =P
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
Lee
Totally Random
Totally Random

Post by Lee »

I can't believe I rated 54 above 53 now. I just listened to it over again, and honestly there were a few very annoying ones. 53 had a much better storyline.

\:D/
Joy
Lucid and deductive

Post by Joy »

I'd have to say 53. The Green Ring was a really great album! Then 54,52,53.
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

album 55 was amazing; so that's first for me, then I think 53, 54, 52, 51

Till the end of the line.
Stop Wooton' Around
Wooton rocks!
Wooton rocks!

Post by Stop Wooton' Around »

"The Green Ring Conspiracy" helped renew a little faith in FOF. The action/adventure is better because without the old Whit some episodes lose their meaning.
Agent 86
0x Moderator 0x Admin
0x Moderator 0x Admin

Post by Agent 86 »

going to listen to album 44 once i get it from my local library
^AIOluver^

Who am I? I'd rather not answer that question, the real question is, "Who are you?". Right now I am trying to think of something witty to put here.. I might not find anything, but that's fine. This block of text should be fine for a signature. Wait, are you still reading this? Why are you reading this? Stop. Seriously.
STOP.
This sentence is true.

whittaker96
Gold Member

Post by whittaker96 »

55, 54, 53, 52, 51. Why is 53 only #3 on the list? This review explains all.
LizzieG wrote:When I first listened to The Green Ring Conspiracy, I didn't much care for it. But, considering that I listened to the episode over a long period of time, in a rather distracting environment, and with people who also didn't like it, I determined to re-listen to the saga and figure out exactly what I thought of it and why.

And so I have.

I listened very carefully to each episode in album 53, writing down every plot point that occurred in every episode, and, ultimately, came to several conclusions. While I give specific examples in places to support my overall arguments, it isn't my intention to list every single thing (or scene) I liked or disliked. And now, here's the review:

The Green Ring Conspiracy introduced some interesting characters and character relationships that, in themselves, were interesting. Polehaus was one of them, and Monty has great potential (even though he was used more as a surprise plot device than as an actual character). Buck's relationship with Mr. Skint, and his interactions with Katrina near the end of the saga, made for the beginnings of a redemption story that, all things considered, worked pretty well. Dr. Trask's small group and the ideas it pondered also provided some interesting food for thought that I hope get explored further in later episodes. Katrina was used well for the first time in awhile, and Audrey proved that she has acting chops. Even Emily began to grow on me, Matthew sounded more natural, and Jay and Wally Haggler have risen in my esteem.

So much for the positives, which are mostly character-based. Now for the negatives, which are mostly plot-based. The Green Ring Conspiracy lost all its subtlety in the first episode, when Whit and Eugene had a conversation about Connie's art class where they rehashed things their characters obviously already knew solely for the benefit of the audience. Uncle Archie's Carnival was also introduced out of the blue. By the second episode, the audience already knew about the counterfeit money and that Skint and Buck were involved in the local counterfeiting ring and with Uncle Archie's Carnival; that the lost phone belonged to Dirk; and, by its mere mention, that Connie's art class probably had something to do with the whole thing. The first seven or eight episodes revolved around the phone (Buck trying to find it and Matthew trying to figure out to whom it belonged) and the good guys' search for the man who seemed to be tied to everything (Mr. Skint). But the audience already knew that Mr. Skint was deeply involved in the scheme, and to whom the phone belonged.

In between repeated rehashings of the plot for characters not in-the-know, characters began doing things that didn’t make much sense, or at the very least seemed forced in order to stretch this saga to fill an entire album. First, Buck tried to get a job at Whit's End, which caused a lot more trouble for him and Mr. Skint than it was worth. Mr. Skint assumed that the kid who found the phone probably hung out at Whit's End. A fair assumption. But why put Buck in the spotlight -- and at greater risk -- by having him pull out all the stops to get a job there (keep in mind that he had no idea it was in the basement at Whit’s End)? What advantages would that give him in his search for the phone that he couldn't gain simply by hanging out at Whit's End and befriending the local kids? Second, Matthew didn’t tell Emily about the phone. Given that he found the phone (and, thus, it wasn't a Square One project), and that Emily is his fellow sleuth, there's no reason why he would've kept it from her. Third, certain other characters who are close don't share things with each other. The most obvious example is Whit not finding out about the phone -- or about Katrina's interactions with Buck and Mr. Skint -- from Eugene and/or Katrina until much later than he should have.

Therefore, the plot managed to "give away the store" too soon, then filled time by uncovering minor, secondary details, waiting for the main characters to figure out what the audience already knew, and meandering along on a predictable, drawn-out trajectory. This saga certainly didn’t deserve 12 parts. After Monty's appearance, the reveal that Jason was the Stiletto was the only other genuine surprise of the whole saga. Unfortunately, the information Jason brought with him didn't do much to fix the sagging plot. After all, the audience already knew that the conspiracy was connected to a big crime boss; what did it matter if it was the Stilleto (a largely unknown character anyway prior to Jason's appearance), or Mr. Grote ... another unknown? Even Trask's involvement was to be expected. Why in the world would the ill-fitting Connie's-art-class plot have existed otherwise?

While the story behind The Green Ring Conspiracy was great, the plot (how it was told) killed all suspense and didn’t justify a 12-episode story arc.

I could talk about Polehaus’ rather incompetent police force, Wooton’s unnecessary role, and how there was too much telling (as opposed to showing). Instead, I’ll share how I think the story should’ve been plotted:

Imagine if Polehaus (with his Haggler suspicions), Buck (without his connection to Mr. Skint known at this point) and Connie's art class had been introduced prior to the saga. How cool would it have been if the "official" saga episodes had started with Monty (going by a different name) and Dirk in Chicago, and then going to Odyssey to meet with Mr. Skint, and then their tussle on the plane that led to its crash? That could've been the first “official” episode in the saga. Then, in the second episode (which would have some similarities to the actual first episode), we could still be shocked along with Whit to find out that Mr. Alias on the plane was Monty (yeah, die-hard fans would recognize Chad Reisser's voice in the first episode, but that actor has played so many characters in the past that it wouldn't necessarily be a spoiler if the Odyssey team didn't hype up the saga and "returning characters!!!")! Then, in a few more episodes, the conspiracy, with its connections to Buck and Connie's art class, would be unraveled and solved with Polehaus' help. That way, we could still explore the theological issues of Trask’s small group without them seeming so out of place.

Part of the reason “Darkness Before Dawn” was such a masterpiece was because many of the pieces were already there beforehand, but we had no idea they were important/interconnected until “Darkness Before Dawn.” Novacom wasn't quite as subtle in its foreshadowing (since all the related pieces and plot points took place more clearly within the saga, after Novacom's arrival), but because the saga spanned four albums, and because it started small and mysteriously (cameras in Whit's End, AREM, a radio wave study), and because other things were happening at the same time (a new Whit's End, Wooton's introduction, Connie and Mitch), the plot is able to develop naturally and doesn't err in "giving away the store" too early. In both of these sagas, we don't find out what the bad guy(s) is/are after until mid-saga.

Here, we find out right away that it's a counterfeiting ring, taking away a lot of the suspense. And because Uncle Archie's carnival and Connie's art class were mentioned early on, both were obviously connected.

The Green Ring Conspiracy had neither the foreshadowing of the Blackgaard saga, nor the slow, steady build-up of the Novacom saga (though it is slow, all right). Rather, all the episodes with any connection to this new saga were put in one over-hyped album titled “The Green Ring Conspiracy,” with each episode bearing the same name. Can you get any more obvious than that?

In conclusion, The Green Ring Conspiracy didn’t work as a mystery. As a jump-starter of a few interesting (or potentially interesting) characters? Maybe. As an example of good sound design, music and acting? For the most part, yes. But as a story with suspense, a good plot and good pacing? Not at all.

I would like to add that, if the saga was intentionally plotted this way because the writers thought that it would appeal more to the target demographic, I'd be a bit more forgiving toward it. However, I do hope that future sagas are plotted better and with more subtlety. Maybe at some point the weaknesses in the plot won't bother me as much because I'll appreciate the characters more, but, at this point, the plot was paramount to me.

I don't mean to start anew a bunch of arguments about album 53, but I did want to share my thoughts on it. :)
NOVACOM FTW.
Maxwell Smart wrote:going to listen to album 44 once i get it from my local library
You get Odyssey from the library? NOT FAIRRRR. xD
Agent 86
0x Moderator 0x Admin
0x Moderator 0x Admin

Post by Agent 86 »

yes but we have alot of odysseys and i mean alot at my house they are all old ones though
^AIOluver^

STOP.
This sentence is true.

Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

yay for my sister's Odyssey reviews \:D/

Till the end of the line.