Anti-Christ Villain

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
Leonard Meltsner
I'm memorable
Location: Odyssey, of course!! Isn't that implied in the name of the forum?

Post by Leonard Meltsner »

Especially since we know quite a few things about the identity of the antichrist from the Bible, and he will not be focused on the town of Odyssey, as awesome as it may be.
Eugene-"Well, the sequence of events occured with extreme rapidity, but I shall attempt to recall them. I was powering my two-wheeler along this concrete pathway, when your personnage suddenly appeared directly in front of me blocking my course. My reflexes immediately sprang to life in an attempt to navigate an evasive manouveur around you while still maintaining course and speed, but I evidently over-compensated, and my Schwinn careened off the hardened path, taking me with it, and up-ended us both in this shrub, a Rhododendron of the heath family I believe, deducing from the leathery evergreen leaves, as distinguished from the deciduous Azalea, which as we all know is..."
Isaac-"You mean, you crashed into this bush cause I got in your way."
Eugene-"Well, that of course is another way of expressing it." Isaac the Benevolent
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Ginny Weasley wrote://nodnod

An Antichrist theme (and the idea of something concerning Revelation as a whole) would be much too strong a theme. You mention Blackgaard, Novacom, and GRC in your original post, tuneup, but the fact is, all of those were fictional entities, and even if they felt real, we all knew in the back of our minds that they weren't real. The Antichrist is not a fictional being, just as the Tribulation is not a fictional period, and I think that making such a show would be much too strong for the target audience (which, it should be noted, includes eight-year-olds).
Bold and underlined sentence is exactly what I have been trying to say.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
tuneup
I'm fifteen, mom!

Post by tuneup »

Guess I thought in my mind, Glossman and some of the people of Novacom would be killed by the Anti-Christ villain with a gun. Like Nikolai did.
Caswin
Found

Post by Caswin »

tuneup wrote:Guess I thought in my mind, Glossman and some of the people of Novacom would be killed by the Anti-Christ villain with a gun. Like Nikolai did.

Wait, so... if I'm following you, and my Left Behind knowledge is accurate, that would make the Chairman into Jonathan Stonagal, Philip Glossman into Joshua Todd-Cothran, and you think that if there was an "Antichrist" villain, it would follow the plot of Left Behind in minute detail, down to the part where he holds a meeting of the most powerful people in the world, then shoots two of them with a gun and...

You know that things that happen in Left Behind aren't equal to the Book of Revelation, right? There have been many interpretations and adaptations of the Apocalypse.
Novacom transmission... one, two, three... testing, one, two, three...
tuneup
I'm fifteen, mom!

Post by tuneup »

Caswin wrote:
tuneup wrote:Guess I thought in my mind, Glossman and some of the people of Novacom would be killed by the Anti-Christ villain with a gun. Like Nikolai did.

Wait, so... if I'm following you, and my Left Behind knowledge is accurate, that would make the Chairman into Jonathan Stonagal, Philip Glossman into Joshua Todd-Cothran, and you think that if there was an "Antichrist" villain, it would follow the plot of Left Behind in minute detail, down to the part where he holds a meeting of the most powerful people in the world, then shoots two of them with a gun and...

You know that things that happen in Left Behind aren't equal to the Book of Revelation, right? There have been many interpretations and adaptations of the Apocalypse.
That's what I thought.

Was that bad?

If no anti-Christ villain than what? An aethist villain who is challenging Christians?
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

I'd be careful with that. Dr. Blackgaard and Cryin' Bryan Dern are/were atheists, but that's not the first thing you think of when you think of who they are. A character should always, always, always be defined by who they are, not what they are (religion, superpowers, race, et cetera)--that is a cardinal rule of characterization. I'm not sure what that would be saying about atheists; I see some very unfortunate implications in making an exclusively "atheist" villain when there have been many others.

I realize that we're talking about a show with mostly Christian characters and that it's run by a Christian organization (for lack of better terminology), but just because it's a show with those perameters does not mean that we need to make every atheist a villain or anti-hero. "Christian show" does not mean "crucify-atheists-fest". I realize that this was not necessarily the point you were trying to make, but not all threats to Christianity are non-Christians (sometimes I think the church is a greater threat to itself than any other outside forces--note my use of capitalization).
Last edited by TigerintheShadows on Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
Leonard Meltsner
I'm memorable

Ginny Weasley wrote:I'd be careful with that. Dr. Blackgaard and Cryin' Bryan Dern are/were atheists, but that's not the first thing you think of when you think of who they are. A character should always, always, always be defined by who they are, not what they are (religion, superpowers, race, et cetera)--that is a cardinal rule of characterization. I'm not sure what that would be saying about atheists; I see some very unfortunate implications in making an exclusively "atheist" villain when there have been many others.

I realize that we're talking about a show with mostly Christian characters and that it's run by a Christian organization (for lack of better terminology), but just because it's a show with those perameters does not mean that we need to make every atheist a villain or anti-hero. "Christian show" does not mean "crucify-atheists-fest". I realize that this was not necessarily the point you were trying to make, but not all threats to Christianity are Christians (sometimes I think the church is a greater threat to itself than any other outside forces--note my use of capitalization).
Brava! Well said.
Eugene-"Well, the sequence of events occured with extreme rapidity, but I shall attempt to recall them. I was powering my two-wheeler along this concrete pathway, when your personnage suddenly appeared directly in front of me blocking my course. My reflexes immediately sprang to life in an attempt to navigate an evasive manouveur around you while still maintaining course and speed, but I evidently over-compensated, and my Schwinn careened off the hardened path, taking me with it, and up-ended us both in this shrub, a Rhododendron of the heath family I believe, deducing from the leathery evergreen leaves, as distinguished from the deciduous Azalea, which as we all know is..."
Eugene-"Well, that of course is another way of expressing it." Isaac the Benevolent
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

The very unlikely, but only possible way I see anything remotely like this happening is if it was tied to an Imagination Station or Room of Consequence or whatever adventure. However even then I don't think it would happen. I doubt Focus wants to get into eschatology where there are numerous interpretations of End Time events. They tend to avoid that type of conflict.
Leonard Meltsner
I'm memorable

Besides, the only episode where they could've gotten away from that would've been episode 666, but that was The Jubilee Singers, Part 3.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Haha, I was hoping back then they would do something along those lines for episode 666... but alas.
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

The closest to a villain we should have in Odyssey are some non-Christians who really make the Christians think about what they believe. There's not much, if any of that.
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
tuneup
I'm fifteen, mom!

Post by tuneup »

Still an anti-Christ villain would be the next one. And about the "gun" part... he would've shot Glossman and/or the Chairman/Charles for their failures in not conquering the world.

Glossman - serving under Blackgaard.
Charles - helping Novacom control the world.
TigerintheShadows

I guess my next question is, "why would he care?" Seriously, the Antichrist is going to have a bigger agenda than shooting a corrupt politician and a corrupt businessman for their failures in a small town that barely anyone's ever heard of.
tuneup wrote:Still an anti-Christ villain would be the next one.
Why do we have to have an Antichrist villain? I repeat: It is a kids' show. The Tribulation is going to be more violent and horrific than the Holocaust, which, last I checked, isn't exactly kid-friendly material. Eschatology is one of the most hotly debated and disputed topics in the Christian community (right behind "Dating or Courting?" ;) ), meaning that Focus on the Family, with its very broad ministry, is not about to take a public stance on it, even if individual employees do.
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
AIO tumblr sideblog
Leonard Meltsner
I'm memorable

The Anti-Christ will have a very full schedule with the European Union and brokering "peace" between Israel and the arab nations. If Blackgaard can't be on 2 continents at the same time, then neither can the Anti-Christ.
TigerintheShadows

And in regards to the Bennett Charles thing, last I heard, he's currently residing in, most likely, federal prison, in no position to help or give support to anybody, and there is no way his name and fame would have enough respect in the eyes of a world political figure for even a second passing glance.

Philip Glossman, meanwhile, is currently off doing political things that I couldn't research because AIO Wiki malfunctioned at the last second--I digress, of course; the point is, Glossman basically has one boss and one employee--himself. He doesn't care about others as long as he gets what's in it for him. He's not interested in directly working for the Antichrist because he's looking out for his benefits and his benefits only, and the Antichrist isn't going to be seeking him out because the Antichrist will never have heard of Philip Glossman--and even if he did, no one's about to hire him. As manipulative as Glossman can be, he is also equally ineffectual.
AIO tumblr sideblog
Caswin
Found

Post by Caswin »

Well, to be fair, Mr. Charles was the right-hand of a man who nearly took over the world, and I always saw Glossman as a genuinely deft politician. (I also thought he actually seemed genuinely respectful towards Dr. Blackgaard, but that's another story. For the record, I think he was last heard complaining about Odyssey on a radio show.) Other than that, though, I agree with Ginny. There wouldn't be much of anything to gain by killing them, even if he wanted to.

Late edit:
Marvin D. wrote:The closest to a villain we should have in Odyssey are some non-Christians who really make the Christians think about what they believe. There's not much, if any of that.
I just wanted to add that there have been literally dozens of villains in Adventures in Odyssey, and they've played roles in some of the most well-regarded dramatic stories of the series. Or would you personally say those are low points?
Last edited by Caswin on Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Novacom transmission... one, two, three... testing, one, two, three...
Mrs Jason Whittaker
Classic

Post by Mrs Jason Whittaker »

I should hope Odyssey doesn't start touting Dispensational theoloy. That would be incredibly irritating for Amillenialists.
"Your days, at the most, cannot be long. It would be best to use them for the glory of God and the benefit of your generation."
-William Booth
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Yeah, that is a good point. :yes:
TigerintheShadows

Mrs Jason Whittaker wrote:I should hope Odyssey doesn't start touting Dispensational theoloy. That would be incredibly irritating for Amillenialists.
Or anyone who disagrees with the Premillenial Dispensationalist theory. Matter of fact, I can see quite a few people who do agree with said theory becoming irritated.
AIO tumblr sideblog
tuneup
I'm fifteen, mom!

Post by tuneup »

Ever since Blackgaard & Novacom, we haven't had a new saga between the forces of good and evil lately.

How about an anti-christ villain kinda like Nicholai from Left Behind.