Character Appearance Density

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Character Appearance Density

Post by King Butter Turtle »

So, I was just pursuing the wiki and realized that Matthew Parker has already been in 39 episodes. There seems to be fewer total characters since album 50. There's pros and cons to that - we get to know each character a little better but, there's also less variety. But, then I thought 'well, maybe there's not actually fewer characters - it just seems like there is. There ought to be some way to measure.' So, I came up with 'Character Appearance Density'. C.A.D. = Last Appearance - First Appearance/Total Appearances. (It could also be thought of as the average gap between episodes, within a given characters' run). I'm not really sure what it's useful for :anxious: but, it's kind of fun just to think about. :-

So basically, each of the following characters appeared in every x episodes between their first and last episodes; x being the number next to their name. :)
  • Whit - 1.35
  • Connie - 2.02
  • Eugene - 2.65
  • Wooton - 4.23
  • Tom - 4.71
  • Bernard - 6.13
  • Jack Allen - 5.36
  • Jason - 6.43
  • Katrina - 9.1
  • Joanne - 13.3
  • Dale - 14.91
  • Bart - 7.18
  • George - 7.65 (6.02*)
  • Mary - 12.68 (10.44*)
  • Jimmy - 8.81 (5.9*)
  • Donna - 8.85 (7.1*)
  • Lucy - 8.13 (5*)
  • Jack Davis - 25.42 (13*)
  • Robyn - 15.21 (5.88*)
  • Isaac - 21.88 (10.93*)
  • Rodney - 9.54
  • Mandy - 4.79
  • Jared - 10.96 (7.35*)
  • Trent - 6.61
  • Grady - 4.33
  • Harlow - 14.46
  • Mitch - 11.41 (3.55*)
  • Matthew - 1.72
  • Olivia - 3.66
  • Camilla - 6.6
  • Jay - 3.05
  • Emily - 3.2
  • Barrett - 5.91
*Excluding retrospective and return-of-an-old-character episodes such as A Look Back, 500, Living in the Gray, The Triangled Web and Something Old, Something New

So, in general it seems the new kid characters tend to appear more often than the older kid characters but, especially Matthew. He appears more frequently, given his episode span, than any character other than Whit. Again, this information is... worth nothing. ;) But, I thought it was kind of fun to compare different characters and make educated guesses as to which characters would be higher and lower as I was compiling the list. \:D/
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ
bookworm
ToO Historian
ToO Historian

Post by bookworm »

King Butter Turtle wrote:Again, this information is... worth nothing.
I found it interesting. :)
Mimi
Animatronic

Post by Mimi »

That's very interesting KBT. I'm glad you shared it. Did you count this week's episode as Jason's last?
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

Push the Red Button, actually. So, all numbers are current through the end of 56. :)
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

I'm a little confused on how this works....but maybe that's because I'm tired ;)

Till the end of the line.
The Old Judge
Catspaw is splendiferous

Post by The Old Judge »

Okay, this is cool. (Sorry if I bumped this, but it deserves it.)

Do you think you could make a second set, perhaps with Penny, Dr. Blackgaard, Edwin, Cryin' Bryan Dern, and June Kendall? Please?
"Some folks say, 'Well, America's gone too far,' and I say, 'Lazarus was dead, but that wasn't too much for Jesus.'"
---Jeff Fugate
Stop Wooton' Around
Wooton rocks!
Wooton rocks!

Post by Stop Wooton' Around »

Am I the only that just scanned that...