Worst AIO Character?

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
Joy
Lucid and deductive

Worst AIO Character?

Post by Joy »

This isn't a thread to bash Emily or the character you think is the worst. It's a topic to discuss what's the worst or weakest character, and why you think that.
I'm going to add a poll later, because I don't have many character for it. But you guys will shape the poll.
I personally think the weakest is Harlow Doyle, because he didn't have much of a purpose on the show. He didn't really teach morals or anything....
So who is the weakest character? Emily? :emily: Camilla? :camilla: Liz? :liz: Matthew? :matthew:
Buzz

Post by Buzz »

I would say maybe... Vance? Nelson and Ryan, too.
Pengwin
Penguin-tastic
Penguin-tastic

Post by Pengwin »

I would say Vance. What's his last name?
:wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky: :wacky:
Woody
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Woody »

Vance King

And I like Vance. Odyssey needs to have an antagonist.
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

Danny Schmidt :blah:
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ
Stop Wooton' Around
Wooton rocks!
Wooton rocks!

Post by Stop Wooton' Around »

Any Captain Absolutely character, they just seem silly and don't really get the point across. Its almost like the episode with the room of conscience in which Matthew and Connie programs it and Barrett things the programs are ridiculous and illogic (which they were). In the same way Captain Absolutely characters are just ridiculous and way off in right field.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Buzz wrote:I would say maybe... Vance? Nelson and Ryan, too.
Aftershocker wrote:I would say Vance. What's his last name?
This is such a horrible case of groupthink. :(

Vance is a fine character. I see no reason why the first two posters in this thread would mention his name.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

Stop Wooton' Around wrote:Any Captain Absolutely character, they just seem silly and don't really get the point across. Its almost like the episode with the room of conscience in which Matthew and Connie programs it and Barrett things the programs are ridiculous and illogic (which they were). In the same way Captain Absolutely characters are just ridiculous and way off in right field.
I second this post. :yes:
American Eagle wrote:
Vance is a fine character. I see no reason why the first two posters in this thread would mention his name.
I actually like Vance as a character, he's definitely not on my "worst character list"
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Jay Smouse!... NOT. Whit since the re-launch anyone?

Or Emily. Really can't go wrong with one of them.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
Joy
Lucid and deductive

Post by Joy »

Ryan, Buzz? Ryan is a great character. And so is Vance. He's much better than Rodney in terms of a bully. I'm interested to see more of him.
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

I like Ryan as well. I like the concept of his character (popular, natural leader, strong Christian, athletic), and I think he, as a popular jock who isn't demonized, makes for an interesting addition to the cast. He's very well-rounded, in my opinion.

See, this is kind of hard for me because I know the characters I dislike (Emily Jones, I'm lookin' at you :x), but just because I dislike them does not mean that they are bad characters. For that reason, I really appreciate how you defined "worst character", Joy.

I think I'm also going to use characterization in this case, and for that reason, I shall discuss post-Novacom Rodney Rathbone (I honestly think he went into Antagonist Decay after Darkness Before Dawn, but he still got some good episodes). And the thing is, it's more because of wasted potential than anything else.

I just recently listened to "Aloha Oy!" and much of the Blackgaard saga, and it just makes me think about how classic and lovable Rodney was back then, when his status as the local bully wasn't milked for all it was worth, nor was it necessarily his defining schtick. Why couldn't we have seen more of Rodney like that, instead of him remaining the Perpetual Bully? He had a lot of potential as a character, as we saw in the Blackgaard saga and other such episodes, but instead he was downgraded, along with his parents, into being a one-dimensional go-to bully character.

I feel like, with the exception of some of the lines he got, he could have been so easily replaced by a new character and he could have moved on to new stories, but he grew into such a weak character that it didn't happen, nor could it. At least Bart and Doris could still make for good story material, even if they were only ever used as comic relief post-DBD, but Rodney not being allowed to grow up and his character decay make him much less justifiable.

//rantover

I'd also like to bring up the fact that the characterization of pretty much everyone in the split episodes falls under the "does nothing to help the show and is if anything a detriment" category, as well as the post-Novacom characterizations of Connie and Mitch.
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
Leonard Meltsner
I'm memorable
Location: Odyssey, of course!! Isn't that implied in the name of the forum?

Post by Leonard Meltsner »

While I don't think that Wooton is the worst character, he has certainly been quite morally useless, at least in comparison to pre-2nd-hiatus-Wooton. Captain Absolutely episodes are also very over-the-top and are more of a gimmick than a solid lesson-building tool.
Eugene-"Well, the sequence of events occured with extreme rapidity, but I shall attempt to recall them. I was powering my two-wheeler along this concrete pathway, when your personnage suddenly appeared directly in front of me blocking my course. My reflexes immediately sprang to life in an attempt to navigate an evasive manouveur around you while still maintaining course and speed, but I evidently over-compensated, and my Schwinn careened off the hardened path, taking me with it, and up-ended us both in this shrub, a Rhododendron of the heath family I believe, deducing from the leathery evergreen leaves, as distinguished from the deciduous Azalea, which as we all know is..."
Isaac-"You mean, you crashed into this bush cause I got in your way."
Eugene-"Well, that of course is another way of expressing it." Isaac the Benevolent
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

Leonard Meltsner wrote:While I don't think that Wooton is the worst character, he has certainly been quite morally useless, at least in comparison to pre-2nd-hiatus-Wooton. Captain Absolutely episodes are also very over-the-top and are more of a gimmick than a solid lesson-building tool.
:yes: I was thinking the same. Wooton is a tricky character--he's not like Connie, who can play many roles in a story. You have to be able to write him well to fit him into the episode, and he should only be used in small doses. I think characterization of the main characters has been a pretty big problem post-2nd-hiatus, and this doesn't show through better with any other character than Wooton.

I think about "Plan B: Resistance", "The Popsicle Kid", "Tuesdays With Wooton", and "The Coolest Dog". Wooton's eccentricities were expressed very well, and he was able to use his quirks and mannerisms to point people to God--or at the very least, doing the right thing. He hasn't been doing much of that since the relaunch, and it shows. Even though the only Captain Absolutely episode I remember is the one from "Push the Red Button", I can still see that it's incredibly over-the-top--which is to say nothing about Wooton himself. At least pre-relaunch, when this was first beginning to rear its ugly head, Wooton was able to be serious and to grow as a character. I like Wooton a great deal...just not when he's been Flanderized into what he is.
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
Stop Wooton' Around
Wooton rocks!
Wooton rocks!

Post by Stop Wooton' Around »

O, I actually love Wooton himself (hence my username) but not Captain Absolutely. I would totally agree with the post 2nd hiatus Whit is pretty useless. I like those episodes as long as Whit doesn't try to explain something or Captain Absolutely.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

King Butter Turtle wrote:Danny Schmidt :blah:
THIS.
Leonard Meltsner wrote:While I don't think that Wooton is the worst character, he has certainly been quite morally useless, at least in comparison to pre-2nd-hiatus-Wooton. Captain Absolutely episodes are also very over-the-top and are more of a gimmick than a solid lesson-building tool.
...and this.
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
Woody
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Woody »

snubs wrote:
King Butter Turtle wrote:Danny Schmidt :blah:
THIS.
LIKE!

Yeah, Danny is just... weird.
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!
Tea Ess
Animatronic

Post by Tea Ess »

We have had many a debate on this on the Soda Shop.

My position is that Valerie is by far the worst character. I have a few good posts I can quote here if you are at all intriqued.
"And the fire with all the strength it hath."
Buzz

Post by Buzz »

Joy wrote:Ryan, Buzz? Ryan is a great character. And so is Vance. He's much better than Rodney in terms of a bully. I'm interested to see more of him.
To me, Ryan is kind of shallow. He's not much different from other characters out there, and he's kind of dull. I suppose the main reason I don't like him is because he's so unlike the REAL Ryan Cummings in the Kidsboro books. ;)

And Vance is just a normal typical bully. He has no personality, he just goes wherever he pleases and bullies people. With Rodney, Rodney was funny, kind of stupid, and had a great personality! With Vance, it's just like you-know, whatever. I suppose (so far) they haven't really developed his character.
whittaker96
Gold Member

Post by whittaker96 »

Wooton post-hiatus, as some other posters have written in. He's not growing as a character and Christianity hasn't even been mentioned with him in...forever. He's really only used as a tool for humor nowadays.

And everyone else on my list are characters that were both uninteresting and unlikable:
Danny Schmidt, 'cause of his voice and the fact that there's nothing about him that makes me care to listen to episodes featuring him.
Annie from The Day After Christmas. She's rich and she doesn't know it and it's about her and she has a monotone when she prattles on about her Christmas.

On the positive side, Emily would've made this list two years ago, but thanks to her really interesting "Suddenly I'm not sure what I want to do with my life" story arc, she's been made human. Not exacctly likable, but very interesting.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Yeah, Danny and Wooton and I dunno, that kid that was afraid of babies or something, I forget. They were all pretty bad.