The Mortal Coil

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
Mrs Jason Whittaker
Classic

The Mortal Coil

Post by Mrs Jason Whittaker »

Last weekend I listened to The Mortal Coil for the first time in years and I felt like I was experiencing the story for the first time. It's amazing how that story takes on a whole new meaning now that I'm an adult and have experienced death of family members. It also made Whit more human to me. I've gone through the same feelings of "what's the use of this life when Heaven is so much better." And I've come to the same realizations that there is meaning and purpose in the world, even if it is a 'dirty window,' and that while my hope is in heaven, I trust God as long as I'm on this earth.

But the best part is that I was listening to this while driving preteens to camp for a retreat. I just started the episode and they were drawn in immediately. They kept asking me "Is he dead?" and I kept responding "Just keep listening." Now I have new AIO fans. On the way home they asked for "more stories."
"Your days, at the most, cannot be long. It would be best to use them for the glory of God and the benefit of your generation."
-William Booth
Leonard Meltsner
I'm memorable
Location: Odyssey, of course!! Isn't that implied in the name of the forum?

Post by Leonard Meltsner »

That's awesome. The first time I heard "The Mortal Coil", the fact that Connie tried it, it started and failed, then Whit got in and went into a coma seemed to me to show that Connie was in the Imagination Station the entire time, Whit was going to "die", and she would have to try and understand it, and that was all actually the program about life and death for a Christian. The fact that Connie got in and it suddenly died seemed very suspicious to me.
Eugene-"Well, the sequence of events occured with extreme rapidity, but I shall attempt to recall them. I was powering my two-wheeler along this concrete pathway, when your personnage suddenly appeared directly in front of me blocking my course. My reflexes immediately sprang to life in an attempt to navigate an evasive manouveur around you while still maintaining course and speed, but I evidently over-compensated, and my Schwinn careened off the hardened path, taking me with it, and up-ended us both in this shrub, a Rhododendron of the heath family I believe, deducing from the leathery evergreen leaves, as distinguished from the deciduous Azalea, which as we all know is..."
Isaac-"You mean, you crashed into this bush cause I got in your way."
Eugene-"Well, that of course is another way of expressing it." Isaac the Benevolent
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I think the entire series since then has all been Connie in the IS. \:D/

But yeah its one of my favorite episodes. Especially part 1. It's kind of obvious that they really only wrote part 1 and then were like "Oh hey we have to have Whit not be dead," and threw together part 2. Part 2 isn't bad but 1 really outshines it. I kind of wish they had kept to the original plan for using the episode but I suppose that would be mean Whit would be dead for like almost 20 years now. >_>
Vic
29K to go!

Post by Vic »

The Top Crusader wrote:I think the entire series since then has all been Connie in the IS. \:D/

But yeah its one of my favorite episodes. Especially part 1. It's kind of obvious that they really only wrote part 1 and then were like "Oh hey we have to have Whit not be dead," and threw together part 2. Part 2 isn't bad but 1 really outshines it. I kind of wish they had kept to the original plan for using the episode but I suppose that would be mean Whit would be dead for like almost 20 years now. >_>
I agree with you, Top. I've always liked 1 better than 2.
This is my humble blog: http://aiothoughts.blogspot.com/
Leonard Meltsner
I'm memorable
Location: Odyssey, of course!! Isn't that implied in the name of the forum?

Post by Leonard Meltsner »

The Top Crusader wrote:I think the entire series since then has all been Connie in the IS. \:D/
That's exactly what I was suggesting.
Eugene-"Well, the sequence of events occured with extreme rapidity, but I shall attempt to recall them. I was powering my two-wheeler along this concrete pathway, when your personnage suddenly appeared directly in front of me blocking my course. My reflexes immediately sprang to life in an attempt to navigate an evasive manouveur around you while still maintaining course and speed, but I evidently over-compensated, and my Schwinn careened off the hardened path, taking me with it, and up-ended us both in this shrub, a Rhododendron of the heath family I believe, deducing from the leathery evergreen leaves, as distinguished from the deciduous Azalea, which as we all know is..."
Isaac-"You mean, you crashed into this bush cause I got in your way."
Eugene-"Well, that of course is another way of expressing it." Isaac the Benevolent
Reddo
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Reddo »

Leonard Meltsner wrote:
That's exactly what I was suggesting.
that would explain the whole Connie's age thing, it's easy to see other people change but it's hard to see change in yourself
Reddo
aiowiki - we have a lot of info, check us out sometime
Mrs Jason Whittaker
Classic

Post by Mrs Jason Whittaker »

Suddenly everything makes sense...
"Your days, at the most, cannot be long. It would be best to use them for the glory of God and the benefit of your generation."
-William Booth