Things you have learned from Odyssey

random things

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
EvangelineWalker
I'm a teapot

Things you have learned from Odyssey

Post by EvangelineWalker »

I don't mean life lessons (though those are good of course :) but random facts etc that you didn't know before. I grew up with AIO so I spent a lot of hours listening to it, and so it obviously affected me, as it has probably affected many of you. ;)

For me, personally, things like this:

Words Eugene said that I looked up, e.g. 'maladroit' (and many others I'm sure that I can't think of right now)

I think it's the first time I heard the word "adolescence" though I thought it was 'adda-lessons'. (I was a little kid, remember)

In the Triangle, Whit (I believe) mentioned he'd read The Man Who was Thursday by GK Chesterton. It inspired me to get the book from the library and read it. If Whit read it, it has to be good. :)

"What direction do you turn the key?" -"Away from us!"

Many others that I can't think of right now.

What about you?
Wooton Z. Bassett
OK

Post by Wooton Z. Bassett »

Things I learnt from Odyssey. Hmm......well, on the Soda Shop, Aaron Wiley, Ben C., and I were having an album 25 marathon. We heard Dr. Blackgaard say the word machismo, I googled it, and found out how to spell it. Then, a little more than half a year later, it was the spelling word that helped me get to the sub finals of the spelling bee!
I'm on the Soda Shop and Campbell County Message Boards.

Check out unofficialaioblog.blogspot.com/

Leonard Meltsner
I'm memorable
Location: Odyssey, of course!! Isn't that implied in the name of the forum?

Post by Leonard Meltsner »

I've learned just about everything I know from the Magic School Bus or Odyssey. AIO knowledge includes most of the Bible, history, how to drive standard, what tenure is, and dicotyledonous plants. (And many others)
Eugene-"Well, the sequence of events occured with extreme rapidity, but I shall attempt to recall them. I was powering my two-wheeler along this concrete pathway, when your personnage suddenly appeared directly in front of me blocking my course. My reflexes immediately sprang to life in an attempt to navigate an evasive manouveur around you while still maintaining course and speed, but I evidently over-compensated, and my Schwinn careened off the hardened path, taking me with it, and up-ended us both in this shrub, a Rhododendron of the heath family I believe, deducing from the leathery evergreen leaves, as distinguished from the deciduous Azalea, which as we all know is..."
Isaac-"You mean, you crashed into this bush cause I got in your way."
Eugene-"Well, that of course is another way of expressing it." Isaac the Benevolent
Christian A.
Animatronic

Post by Christian A. »

I think it's the first time I heard the word "adolescence" though I thought it was 'adda-lessons'. (I was a little kid, remember)
It was the exact same with me! I had never heard the word before "Coming of Age," and for the longest time, I thought it was pronounced "add-a-lessons." So I thought Whit was going to be teaching Jimmy every day, each time "adding a lesson" or something. xD

Quote tags fixed. Rawr. -Marvin
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Dónde está el baño?

Do I even need to explain?
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
EvangelineWalker
I'm a teapot

American Eagle wrote:Dónde está el baño?

Do I even need to explain?
Ah, yes. Me too. The first Spanish I ever learned! :lol:

"Aqui! Aqui!" - I thought he was saying 'a key' -just like Eugene.
Last edited by EvangelineWalker on Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

A squared + B squared = C squared. It has nothing to do with tea squares.

Infrared signals can't go through walls.

Prepositions are not words you should end sentences with.

A hypotenuse is not used to catch large animals in Africa.

One should not look at the spam in one's brother's eye when one has a hog in one's own.

An angel only told Peter not to give his horse to a Gentile in the movie version.

Prestidigitation does not have a "c".

Being a girl naturally means you know everything there is to know about boys and girls.

"Credit card" does not equal "one-way ticket to being a spendthrift".

Every modem should have a self-destruct feature.

When a guy is going to pick you up, it's officially a date.
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
Leonard Meltsner
I'm memorable

Oh yeah, I learned that President Garfield proved the Pythagorean Theorem using a trapezoid.
(And it's a pretty clever proof).

I was also mentally pinged by Trent in that episode to consider whether the Cosine Law was indeed only a generalization of the Pythagorean Theorem.
Eugene-"Well, the sequence of events occured with extreme rapidity, but I shall attempt to recall them. I was powering my two-wheeler along this concrete pathway, when your personnage suddenly appeared directly in front of me blocking my course. My reflexes immediately sprang to life in an attempt to navigate an evasive manouveur around you while still maintaining course and speed, but I evidently over-compensated, and my Schwinn careened off the hardened path, taking me with it, and up-ended us both in this shrub, a Rhododendron of the heath family I believe, deducing from the leathery evergreen leaves, as distinguished from the deciduous Azalea, which as we all know is..."
Eugene-"Well, that of course is another way of expressing it." Isaac the Benevolent
TigerintheShadows

Leonard Meltsner wrote:Oh yeah, I learned that President Garfield proved the Pythagorean Theorem using a trapezoid.
Ah, I knew I was forgetting something.
Leonard Meltsner wrote:I was also mentally pinged by Trent in that episode to consider whether the Cosine Law was indeed only a generalization of the Pythagorean Theorem.
And is it?

Quote tags fixed. -snubs
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
AIO tumblr sideblog
Leonard Meltsner
I'm memorable

Ginny Weasley wrote:
Leonard Meltsner wrote:Oh yeah, I learned that President Garfield proved the Pythagorean Theorem using a trapezoid.
Ah, I knew I was forgetting something.
Leonard Meltsner wrote:I was also mentally pinged by Trent in that episode to consider whether the Cosine Law was indeed only a generalization of the Pythagorean Theorem.
And is it?
I wouldn't presume to say one way or the other, but I consider it an interesting view, and I can certainly see why one would think that.

Quote tags fixed. -snubs
Jesus' Princess
Country Girl
Country Girl

Post by Jesus' Princess »

Which episode was that in again?
TigerintheShadows

"The Invisible Dog".
AIO tumblr sideblog
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Nice topic. =]
Wooton Z. Bassett wrote:Things I learnt from Odyssey. Hmm......well, on the Soda Shop, Aaron Wiley, Ben C., and I were having an album 25 marathon. We heard Dr. Blackgaard say the word machismo, I googled it, and found out how to spell it. Then, a little more than half a year later, it was the spelling word that helped me get to the sub finals of the spelling bee!
That's cool, Wooton. =p

From Odyssey I learned a lot of my biblical history, history behind certain holidays, and history in general, \:D/ most of my vocabulary, what pork rinds are, what agape means...and how you say it, a bunch of corny jokes, how to spell "chocolate," \:D/ and pretty much everything else that was said above. =p
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
Mrs Jason Whittaker
Classic

Post by Mrs Jason Whittaker »

What a great topic! I happen to have a list on this very subject. To clarify: these are facts I did not know before hearing on AIO.
  • Things I Learned from Adventures in Odyssey First
    Othello is a play by Shakespeare and someone dies in it. -Do, for a Change
    "Donde esta el bano?" -The Cross of Cortes
    A duck's quack is the only farm animal noise that doesn't echo -Blood, Sweat, and Fears
    A duck's quack does echo. -The Green Ring Conspiracy
    Golf never stood for "Gentlemen Only, Ladies Forbidden." (sidenote: I know golfers who still think this myth is true) -The Green Ring Conspiracy
    Goats have rectangular pupils. -Blood, Sweat, and Fears
    You can milk a giraffe -Blood, Sweat, and Fears
    The Q document is a 5th gospel which may have existed and may have been the source material Matthew, Mark, and Luke refer to when writing their gospels. -The Search for Whit
    AFIS stands for Automated Fingerprint Identification System -The Perfect Witness
    Tenure is job security for professors. -The Perfect Witness
    Scruples are...you know, I still don't know what scruples are. But AIO taught me that they exist and they have something to do with making tough decisions. -Have You no Selpurcs?
    Procrastination is a fancy word for plain old laziness. -Isaac the Procrastinator
"Your days, at the most, cannot be long. It would be best to use them for the glory of God and the benefit of your generation."
-William Booth
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Oh! and pigs don't sweat. \:D/
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
EvangelineWalker
I'm a teapot

Great list Mrs Jason Whittaker!

I also first learned some of my Shakespeare from Odyssey:

"As Marcellus says in Act one Scene four of William Shakespeare's Hamlet, 'Something is rotten in the state of Denmark'." - Eugene in "Final Conflict" (I think)

"O, I die, Horatio! The potent poison quite o'ercrows my spirit.
I cannot live to hear the news from England, but I do prophesy th' election lights on Fortinbras. He has my dying voice. So tell him, with th' occurrents, more and less, which have solicited- the rest is silence."-Edwin Blackgaard, Welcome Home Mr Blackgaard. (I did not understand it at all when I first heard it and some of the words I thought were different, like Fortinbras- "Fortin's brows' :D)

"To be or not to be. That is the question. Whether tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune...." (don't remember which one it's from, but I hear it in Edwin Blackgaard's voice, so it must've been from Odyssey. :) )
Mrs Jason Whittaker
Classic

Post by Mrs Jason Whittaker »

EvangelineWalker wrote:"To be or not to be. That is the question. Whether tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune...." (don't remember which one it's from, but I hear it in Edwin Blackgaard's voice, so it must've been from Odyssey. :) )
That is quoted by both Edwin and Malcolm Lear in The Taming of the Two.

Ah, all the cultural education we get from Adventures in Odyssey! I wasn't even thinking of that when I made my list.

Two more facts I just remembered:
Goldfish do not have eyelids. -Sunset Bowlawater
Thunderstorms don't usually happen in the middle of winter. -And When You Pray

Growing up in a Christian family with a minister for a father, I've been familiar with most of the Bible since before I could talk. However, there was one Bible story I heard first on AIO--Jepthah's Vow.

**One more AIO fact I almost forgot to mention: I learned the Hebrew word for curse: 'arar
I took Hebrew in college and one day I was reviewing vocabulary and came across this word. Suddenly I heard Connie's and Eugene's voices in my head: "This is your basic, everyday, run-of-the-mill curse, where, if it happens, somebody gets hurt. In this case, Whit." "It's an 'arar." (The Curse)
"Your days, at the most, cannot be long. It would be best to use them for the glory of God and the benefit of your generation."
-William Booth