Books mentioned in Odyssey

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
Sparrow
Processing

Post by Sparrow »

The Four Million by O. Henry and Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck are both mentioned in either part one or two of "The Pact" (episodes #511 and #512). I'm positive there were other books mentioned in that episode, but I can't remember their titles off the top of my head. :(

Also, this doesn't really count as a true book mention, but in "Wonderworld" (#204), Whit says, "I feel like Christopher Robin just left Pooh Corner." This seems to be a reference to The House at Pooh Corner by A. A. Milne, does it not? \:D/
Leonard Meltsner
I'm memorable
Location: Odyssey, of course!! Isn't that implied in the name of the forum?

Post by Leonard Meltsner »

I remember the other two, they were "Taxes Made Easy" and "The Good Investment Guide".
Eugene-"Well, the sequence of events occured with extreme rapidity, but I shall attempt to recall them. I was powering my two-wheeler along this concrete pathway, when your personnage suddenly appeared directly in front of me blocking my course. My reflexes immediately sprang to life in an attempt to navigate an evasive manouveur around you while still maintaining course and speed, but I evidently over-compensated, and my Schwinn careened off the hardened path, taking me with it, and up-ended us both in this shrub, a Rhododendron of the heath family I believe, deducing from the leathery evergreen leaves, as distinguished from the deciduous Azalea, which as we all know is..."
Isaac-"You mean, you crashed into this bush cause I got in your way."
Eugene-"Well, that of course is another way of expressing it." Isaac the Benevolent
Peachey Keen
Smile for the camera
Post by Peachey Keen »

Don't forget the book Aubrey was reading in Always!

The Dramatic Life
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

There's the book by Henry Fernbank about the second coming. \:D/
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Tea Ess
Animatronic

Post by Tea Ess »

In preparing for his trivia quiz, Dwane answers a question referencing 1984. I cannot remember the episode title, but it is during the Jack era.
"And the fire with all the strength it hath."
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

T.S. (myself) wrote:In preparing for his trivia quiz, Dwane answers a question referencing 1984. I cannot remember the episode title, but it is during the Jack era.
I think the episode was called Not So Trivial Pursuits.
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
Leonard Meltsner
I'm memorable

snubs wrote:
T.S. (myself) wrote:In preparing for his trivia quiz, Dwane answers a question referencing 1984. I cannot remember the episode title, but it is during the Jack era.
I think the episode was called Not So Trivial Pursuits.
Technically it was "Not-So-Trivial Pursuits", with hyphens, but close enough. Not to mention that fact that the question came from another book; Universal Trivia by Universal Press or something like that.
Eugene-"Well, the sequence of events occured with extreme rapidity, but I shall attempt to recall them. I was powering my two-wheeler along this concrete pathway, when your personnage suddenly appeared directly in front of me blocking my course. My reflexes immediately sprang to life in an attempt to navigate an evasive manouveur around you while still maintaining course and speed, but I evidently over-compensated, and my Schwinn careened off the hardened path, taking me with it, and up-ended us both in this shrub, a Rhododendron of the heath family I believe, deducing from the leathery evergreen leaves, as distinguished from the deciduous Azalea, which as we all know is..."
Eugene-"Well, that of course is another way of expressing it." Isaac the Benevolent
H Tide
Sing in the sunshine

Post by H Tide »

Leonard Meltsner wrote:Obviously the key to the computer room is in The Last Battle by C. S. Lewis, as referenced in "A Bite of Applesauce", and tons of Dr. Dobson's books were mentioned in "Dobson Comes To Town."

Conversely, "Dare To Let Go" was a fake book that was a spoof of Dobson's in "No Boundaries". I believe it was by Dr. Vernon Quackenbush, but I'd check. There was the Attitude book featured on the Opera Geralehue show in "A... is for Attitude."
The book in "A... is for Attitude" was called Happiness Is A State, But You Can't Get There From Here.

And great topic, by the way! It's fascinating to see the made-up titles as well as the real titles the writers have used in various episodes. :D
Jehoshaphat
Someone's favorite
Post by Jehoshaphat »

In "the Triangle" Young Whit mentions several books including "Of Men And of Angels" It is an actual book by Theone.
Unicorns exist... they just got fat and now we call them rhinos.
My online family
I am Monty's and thefinalhour Awesome Brother. GJ is my rebellious little sister
If you want me to be in your online family send me a PM.
Leonard Meltsner
I'm memorable

He wasn't mentioning a book called "Of Men and Of Angels", he was mentioning his article, previously mentioned by Malachi in "Malachi's Message".
Jehoshaphat
Someone's favorite
Post by Jehoshaphat »

Oh... I was confused then. While anyway it is a book that has the same title as something mentioned in Odyssey.
Unicorns exist... they just got fat and now we call them rhinos.
My online family
I am Monty's and thefinalhour Awesome Brother. GJ is my rebellious little sister
If you want me to be in your online family send me a PM.
Jimmy Barclay Fan
Classic

Post by Jimmy Barclay Fan »

In the Triangled Web, Lucy mentions Little House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder. It was the book she was reading when Curt first remembered seeing her.

I am a big fan of AIO, but I am not Jave Griffin or have ever been on AIO. I am just a huge fan of AIO and Jimmy Barclay. I love Odyssey, and Jimmy rules.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Hey guys, here is the updated list of all the books so far. \:D/

Fake Books in Odyssey (as far as I know)
  • Everybody Can Have God by Dr. Victor Rutledge (AIO #065: Bad Company)
  • Evangelism Made Easy (AIO #069: Go Ye Therefore)
  • Happiness Is a State, but You Can't Get There from Here by Dr. Vincent Van Schpeele (AIO #110: A...is for Attitude)
  • The Second Coming by Henry Fernbank (AIO #145: The Second Coming)
  • Through The Prism of Change by Josh Guthrie (AIO #164: Sixties-Something)
  • Tales of Moderation (AIO #183: Tales of Moderation)
  • The Essential Hawaiya (AIO #256: Aloha Oy! Part 1)
  • The Terminus Factor by Seth Kryrick (AIO #352: Memories of Jerry)
  • The Success of Failure by John Whittaker (AIO #385: It's a Pokenberry Christmas)
  • Universal Trivia by Universal Press Association (AIO #417: Not-So-Trivial Pursuits)
  • Dare to Let Go by Dr. Febis McCain (AIO #445: No Boundaries)
  • All Things to All People by Dr. Vernon Quackenbush (AIO #522: All Things to All People)
  • Meet Him on the Rooftops (AIO #522: All Things to All People)
  • The Real America: A Short Story Collection (AIO #580: Tales of a Small-Town Thug)
  • Tales of a Small-Town Soda Jerk by Connie Kendall (AIO #580: Tales of a Small-Town Thug)
  • The Exhaustive Guide to Turnips (AIO #585: The Poor Rich Guy)
  • The Dramatic Life (AIO #579: Always)
Real Books in Odyssey (there are a few I'm not sure about..)
  • The Bible
  • The Last Battle by C.S. Lewis (AIO #073: A Bite of Applesauce)
  • Love Must Be Tough by Dr. James Dobson (AIO #167: Dobson Comes To Town)
  • Parenting Isn't for Cowards by Dr. James Dobson (AIO #167: Dobson Comes To Town)
  • Preparing for Adolescence by Dr. James Dobson (AIO #167: Dobson Comes To Town)
  • The Strong-Willed Child by Dr. James Dobson (AIO #167: Dobson Comes To Town)
  • The Dare to Discipline by Dr. James Dobson (AIO #167: Dobson Comes To Town)
  • Kidnapped by Robert Louis Stevenson (AIO #213: Best Intentions)
  • Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan AIO (AIO #213: Best Intentions; AIO #250: Pilgrim's Progress Revisited, Parts 1&2)
  • Confessions by St. Augustine (AIO #232: Thy Kingdom Come)
  • Paradise Lost by John Milton (AIO #232: Thy Kingdom Come)
  • New Testament History by F.F. Bruce (AIO #232: Thy Kingdom Come)
  • Symbols in the Bible and their Meaning by Hoffstetler (AIO #232: Thy Kingdom Come)
  • The Basics of Christian Faith by James Stuart (AIO #232: Thy Kingdom Come)
  • Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis (AIO #352: Memories of Jerry)
  • Foxe's Book of Martyrs by John Foxe (AIO #384 Amazing Grace, AIO #420: Telemachus, 1&2, AIO #439: B-TV: Grace)
  • The Imitation of Christ by Sir Thomas A Kempis (AIO #384 Amazing Grace)
  • The Silver Chair by C.S. Lewis (AIO #412: A Lesson From Mike)
  • The Man Who Was Thursday by G.K. Chesterton (AIO #464-465: The Triangle 1&2)
  • The Allegory of Love by C.S. Lewis (AIO #464-465: The Triangle 1&2)
  • Beyond Personality by C.S. Lewis (AIO #464-465: The Triangle 1&2)
  • The Four Million by O. Henry (AIO #511-512: The Pact 1&2)
  • Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck (AIO #511-512: The Pact 1&2)
  • Taxes Made Easy (AIO #511-512: The Pact 1&2)
  • The Good Investment Guide (AIO #511-512: The Pact 1&2)
  • Little House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder (AIO #638-639: The Triangled Web 1&2)

Let me know, if you notice any of them are wrong or know of another episode the book was mentioned. *nods*
Woody
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Woody »

snubs wrote:
I think it's spelled correctly, but Bart pronounces it incorrectly.
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Woody wrote:
snubs wrote:
I think it's spelled correctly, but Bart pronounces it incorrectly.
But when Bart shows the book to Mr. Barclay, he reads it as "Hawaiya." (Mr. Barclay does). That's why I think that is how it's spelled. *shrugs*

EDIT:

by the way I added Tales of Moderation (AIO #183: Tales of Moderation) to the list.
Leonard Meltsner
I'm memorable

Oh wait, The Universal Encyclopedia itself!
Tikvah
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Tikvah »

In By Faith, Noah the beginning has a book store clerk who says a lot of book titles. I'm not sure if you got them already, but here are a few I remember

Ten Steps To Faith
practical faith in an impractical world
Faith When you have none
Faith when you have too much
ObiWan Kenobi Girl
Why so serious?
Why so serious?

Post by ObiWan Kenobi Girl »

I suppose it's not a book, but in some episode on Album 4 (Fundamentals- Puns, Parables..) Eugene is reading Biology Quarterly with the article by I.M. Nerdly. :P

"Earthworms are also used as fish bait, hence the name Angelworms!"

Then Eugene mocks Connie about what she reads:
"See Dick Run is not a textbook" "Very funny, ha ha. I read better stuff than that!" "Oh yes, I've seen some of your stuff. Classic novels like Be Still My Fluttering Heart: A Teen Romance and that epic you were reading last week, the Shop 'til you Drop Guide. My how stimulating!"

Those are books mentioned in Odyssey! :P
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Love those quotes, ObiWan! :hilarious:
Mrs Jason Whittaker
Classic

Post by Mrs Jason Whittaker »

snubs wrote:
  • Kidnapped by Robert Louis Stevenson (AIO #??)
This is in AIO #213: Best Intentions

Harlow: Then you're not kidnapped?
Whit: No, it's over on the shelf.
Harlow: What's over on the shelf.
Whit: Kidnapped by Robert Louis Stevenson.
"Your days, at the most, cannot be long. It would be best to use them for the glory of God and the benefit of your generation."
-William Booth