Books mentioned in Odyssey

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Books mentioned in Odyssey

Post by snubs »

I was just thinking and I thought it would be neat to figure out what books were mentioned in Odyssey?? They can be real books or fake books. I'd like to know the titles, obviously, (and authors if possible)...and the episode they were mention (if you can remember).

Books Mentioned in Odyssey wrote:Fake Books in Odyssey (as far as I know)
  • Everybody Can Have God by Dr. Victor Rutledge (AIO #065: Bad Company)
  • Evangelism Made Easy (AIO #069: Go Ye Therefore)
  • Happiness Is a State, but You Can't Get There from Here by Dr. Vincent Van Schpeele (AIO #110: A...is for Attitude)
  • The Second Coming by Henry Fernbank (AIO #145: The Second Coming)
  • Through The Prism of Change by Josh Guthrie (AIO #164: Sixties-Something)
  • Tales of Moderation (AIO #183: Tales of Moderation)
  • The Essential Hawaiya (AIO #256: Aloha Oy! Part 1)
  • The Terminus Factor by Seth Kryrick (AIO #352: Memories of Jerry)
  • The Success of Failure by John Whittaker (AIO #385: It's a Pokenberry Christmas)
  • Universal Trivia by Universal Press Association (AIO #417: Not-So-Trivial Pursuits)
  • Dare to Let Go by Dr. Febis McCain (AIO #445: No Boundaries)
  • All Things to All People by Dr. Vernon Quackenbush (AIO #522: All Things to All People)
  • Meet Him on the Rooftops (AIO #522: All Things to All People)
  • The Real America: A Short Story Collection (AIO #580: Tales of a Small-Town Thug)
  • Tales of a Small-Town Soda Jerk by Connie Kendall (AIO #580: Tales of a Small-Town Thug)
  • The Exhaustive Guide to Turnips (AIO #585: The Poor Rich Guy)
  • The Dramatic Life (AIO #579: Always)
Real Books in Odyssey (there are a few I'm not sure about..)
  • The Bible
  • The Last Battle by C.S. Lewis (AIO #073: A Bite of Applesauce)
  • Love Must Be Tough by Dr. James Dobson (AIO #167: Dobson Comes To Town)
  • Parenting Isn't for Cowards by Dr. James Dobson (AIO #167: Dobson Comes To Town)
  • Preparing for Adolescence by Dr. James Dobson (AIO #167: Dobson Comes To Town)
  • The Strong-Willed Child by Dr. James Dobson (AIO #167: Dobson Comes To Town)
  • The Dare to Discipline by Dr. James Dobson (AIO #167: Dobson Comes To Town)
  • Kidnapped by Robert Louis Stevenson (AIO #213: Best Intentions)
  • Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan AIO (AIO #213: Best Intentions; AIO #250: Pilgrim's Progress Revisited, Parts 1&2)
  • Confessions by St. Augustine (AIO #232: Thy Kingdom Come)
  • Paradise Lost by John Milton (AIO #232: Thy Kingdom Come)
  • New Testament History by F.F. Bruce (AIO #232: Thy Kingdom Come)
  • Symbols in the Bible and their Meaning by Hoffstetler (AIO #232: Thy Kingdom Come)
  • The Basics of Christian Faith by James Stuart (AIO #232: Thy Kingdom Come)
  • Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis (AIO #352: Memories of Jerry)
  • Foxe's Book of Martyrs by John Foxe (AIO #384 Amazing Grace, AIO #420: Telemachus, 1&2, AIO #439: B-TV: Grace)
  • The Imitation of Christ by Sir Thomas A Kempis (AIO #384 Amazing Grace)
  • The Silver Chair by C.S. Lewis (AIO #412: A Lesson From Mike)
  • The Man Who Was Thursday by G.K. Chesterton (AIO #464-465: The Triangle 1&2)
  • The Allegory of Love by C.S. Lewis (AIO #464-465: The Triangle 1&2)
  • Beyond Personality by C.S. Lewis (AIO #464-465: The Triangle 1&2)
  • The Four Million by O. Henry (AIO #511-512: The Pact 1&2)
  • Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck (AIO #511-512: The Pact 1&2)
  • Taxes Made Easy (AIO #511-512: The Pact 1&2)
  • The Good Investment Guide (AIO #511-512: The Pact 1&2)
  • Little House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder (AIO #638-639: The Triangled Web 1&2)
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

The Chronicles of Narnia/The Silver Chair was mentioned in AIO #412 A Lesson From Mike.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Leonard Meltsner
I'm memorable
Location: Odyssey, of course!! Isn't that implied in the name of the forum?

Post by Leonard Meltsner »

Obviously the key to the computer room is in The Last Battle by C. S. Lewis, as referenced in "A Bite of Applesauce", and tons of Dr. Dobson's books were mentioned in "Dobson Comes To Town."

Conversely, "Dare To Let Go" was a fake book that was a spoof of Dobson's in "No Boundaries". I believe it was by Dr. Vernon Quackenbush, but I'd check. There was the Attitude book featured on the Opera Geralehue show in "A... is for Attitude."
Eugene-"Well, the sequence of events occured with extreme rapidity, but I shall attempt to recall them. I was powering my two-wheeler along this concrete pathway, when your personnage suddenly appeared directly in front of me blocking my course. My reflexes immediately sprang to life in an attempt to navigate an evasive manouveur around you while still maintaining course and speed, but I evidently over-compensated, and my Schwinn careened off the hardened path, taking me with it, and up-ended us both in this shrub, a Rhododendron of the heath family I believe, deducing from the leathery evergreen leaves, as distinguished from the deciduous Azalea, which as we all know is..."
Isaac-"You mean, you crashed into this bush cause I got in your way."
Eugene-"Well, that of course is another way of expressing it." Isaac the Benevolent
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

I just added The Last Battle.

I actually didn't realize there was so many books mentioned in Odyssey. but I'm finding that there has actually been a lot.
Dallas R.
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Dallas R. »

In "Memories of Jerry" Connie mentions she is looking for

"Mere Christianity" by C.S. Lewis

And in the same episode Jason finds

"The Terminus Factor" by Seth Kryrick. (Not a real book)
Katrina Meltsner talking to Katrina Shanks Video
(Pamela Hayden and Audrey Wasilewski face-off)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDHyEphRM4g

Yep. Using my signature for a shameless plug. But trust me. If I can be so arrogant, I think it'll be worth your time.
Sparrow
Processing

Post by Sparrow »

Whit mentions The Hound of Heaven by Francis Thompson when talking with Aubrey in episode #418, "Opening Day".

This is a really fun idea, snubs! It'll be interesting to see all the books that have been mentioned on AIO through the years.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Sparrow wrote:Whit mentions The Hound of Heaven by Francis Thompson when talking with Aubrey in episode #418, "Opening Day".
Is that a book? I thought that was just the title of a poem..? :-k
Sparrow wrote:This is a really fun idea, snubs! It'll be interesting to see all the books that have been mentioned on AIO through the years.
I know. =] It's really fun researching it.
Sparrow
Processing

Post by Sparrow »

snubs wrote:
Sparrow wrote:Whit mentions The Hound of Heaven by Francis Thompson when talking with Aubrey in episode #418, "Opening Day".
Yeah, it is actually a poem, but it's quite long, so I thought it might count. :)

EDIT: While on the subject of poetry, there's also "The Ballad of Reading Gaol" by Oscar Wilde (Train Ride, episode #142).
Last edited by Sparrow on Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Sparrow wrote:
snubs wrote:
Yeah, it is actually a poem, but it's quite long, so I thought it might count. :)
Oh yeah. I guess that makes sense then. :)

I'm trying to remember the title of the book mentioned in Go Ye Therefore. Isn't something like Five Steps to Salvation/Christianity??
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Foxe's Book of Martyrs is mentioned in AIO #384 Amazing Grace.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Oooh yeah!! I remember that one now, Laurie!
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

snubs wrote:Oooh yeah!! I remember that one now, Laurie!
It took me a while and I had to look it up and Amazing Grace is one of my favorite episodes too.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

I suppose we could also include Connie Kendall's book, Tales of a Small-Town Soda Jerk.
Leonard Meltsner
I'm memorable

Foxe's Book of Martyrs was obviously also in Telemachus, as that's what sparked the story. It's also mentioned again in BTV-Grace, because John Bunyan had it with him in jail. On the subject of Amazing Grace, though, The Imitation of Christ by Sir Thomas Akempis (or however you spell his name) was in there of course.
Eugene-"Well, the sequence of events occured with extreme rapidity, but I shall attempt to recall them. I was powering my two-wheeler along this concrete pathway, when your personnage suddenly appeared directly in front of me blocking my course. My reflexes immediately sprang to life in an attempt to navigate an evasive manouveur around you while still maintaining course and speed, but I evidently over-compensated, and my Schwinn careened off the hardened path, taking me with it, and up-ended us both in this shrub, a Rhododendron of the heath family I believe, deducing from the leathery evergreen leaves, as distinguished from the deciduous Azalea, which as we all know is..."
Eugene-"Well, that of course is another way of expressing it." Isaac the Benevolent
Christian A.
Animatronic

Post by Christian A. »

Was there a book that Aubrey was using when Seth was teaching her how to evangelize?
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

I believe there was...maybe. But I don't remember.
snubs wrote:I'm trying to remember the title of the book mentioned in Go Ye Therefore. Isn't something like Five Steps to Salvation/Christianity??
I know what the book (fake book) is now after going back and listening to the episode. It's Evangelism Made Easy by somesuchpersonIcan'tspell. And in Bad Company another made up book was mentioned, Everybody Can Have God by Dr. Victor Rutledge.
Leonard Meltsner
I'm memorable

The Essential Hawaiya!
JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

In Thy Kingdom Come (232) Connie runs into Eugene at the Library and he has:

Confessions by St. Augustine
Paradise Lost by John Milton
New Testament History by F.F. Bruce
Symbols in the Bible and their Meaning by Hoffstetler
The Basics of Christian Faith by Stuart

(can't find the last two to find out if they are real or not.

Also I know Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis was mentioned somewhere, I just can't remember where.

Various plays by Shakespeare

Hamlet
Merchant of Venice
Othello
Macbeth
King Lear
Romeo and Juliet
A Midsummer Night's Dream
The Tempist
A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ that a man would have to seek Him to find her.

JF, JesusFreak777, and JF777 are all copyrighted by this user. Any violators will be fined and prosecuted. Thank you.
Petrichor
Popsicle kid

Post by Petrichor »

Christian A. wrote:Was there a book that Aubrey was using when Seth was teaching her how to evangelize?
Could it have been All Things to All People, or is that merely the title of the episode? :? Also, in 'All Things to All People' (the episode) I believe Aubrey mentions a book called Meet Him on the Rooftops.
Christian A.
Animatronic

Post by Christian A. »

Yes, I believe that was the name of the episode. Thanks. =)