Odyssey + the Real World

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

I just saw a facebook status (from a person with no AIO affiliation) that said: "_________ finally beat Dave in madden last night.. victory!"

\:D/

...I didn't know madden was anything other than a name. :anxious:
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

LizzieG wrote:...I didn't know madden was anything other than a name. :anxious:
Well, it's a video game that's named after John Madden, the sportscaster so, essentially, it isn't.
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

King Butter Turtle wrote:
LizzieG wrote:...I didn't know madden was anything other than a name. :anxious:
Well, it's a video game that's named after John Madden, the sportscaster so, essentially, it isn't.
Yeah, I think my brother has a computer game called Madden NFL 2007 or something like that (I could have totally messed up the name, since I don't really care ;) ) so your friend were probably playing football or something on the computer or a video gaming system against somebody named Dave. But it is hilarious that the combination of Dave and Madden showed up together! \:D/
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

On the radio this morning the announcer was talking about a time capsule found recently (yesterday?) in Nevado, California. It was in a cornerstone of an old church building, and inside the non-watertight little box was a soggy newspaper and a soaked Bible. I instantly saw the connection to Adventures in Odyssey episode 631: "A Capsule Comes to Town."

The announcer quoted the strict definition of a time capsule from the American Time Capsule Society or something similar, making this find technically not a time capsule, but it's the exact same principle. Put stuff in a box for posterity. I wonder if the people of Nevado (pronounced Neh-VAH-dough, so I'm guessing at the spelling) will put a Bible in the capsule if they make a new one.
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
Mrs Jason Whittaker
Classic

Post by Mrs Jason Whittaker »

We had a family singing group as special guests at church Sunday and one of their daughters is named Avery. I immediately thought of Whit, of course.
"Your days, at the most, cannot be long. It would be best to use them for the glory of God and the benefit of your generation."
-William Booth
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

Mrs Jason Whittaker wrote:...one of their daughters is named Avery....
Is Avery a girl's name? I met a boy by that name once...
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

Everytime I eat applesauce I think of... well, you know. :anxious:
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

SivartK wrote:On the radio this morning the announcer was talking about a time capsule found recently (yesterday?) in Nevado, California. It was in a cornerstone of an old church building, and inside the non-watertight little box was a soggy newspaper and a soaked Bible. I instantly saw the connection to Adventures in Odyssey episode 631: "A Capsule Comes to Town."

The announcer quoted the strict definition of a time capsule from the American Time Capsule Society or something similar, making this find technically not a time capsule, but it's the exact same principle. Put stuff in a box for posterity. I wonder if the people of Nevado (pronounced Neh-VAH-dough, so I'm guessing at the spelling) will put a Bible in the capsule if they make a new one.
Actually, it's spelled Novato. :) That's an interesting story!
Perron
Tallying up

Post by Perron »

I saw a store called 'The Electric Florist', and the name of some person I saw was Jimmy Lawrence. You can just guess what those made me think of. =] I also saw a Morrow road somewhere.
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

Today I saw a "happy 40th anniversary Ed and Elain" on a gas station notice board... or whatever it's called. Looks like Odyssey isn't only in an alternate universe, but is also in the past! \:D/
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

There was a 'Joan Allen' in a book I read. Not exactly the same, but it sent my AIO alarm off.
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

My dad was on the phone today and he asked to speak to Doctor Morton. I don't know who that is, it's not our regular doctor, but it made me laugh!
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Today I found out that my cousin and his wife had their baby and named him Bennett. Obviously they are not AIO fans. ;) I was quite disappointed to hear that the baby's middle name isn't Charles. :(
Mrs Jason Whittaker
Classic

I may be the last one to discover this, but...

I just watched "It's a Wonderful Life" and realized that Mr. Potter is played by Lionel Barrymore: hence Barry Lionel in "It's a Pokenberry Christmas."
"Your days, at the most, cannot be long. It would be best to use them for the glory of God and the benefit of your generation."
-William Booth
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

I went out with some girls from my wing tonight, and someone named "Eugene" was brought up in the course of conversation. I immediately thought of Odyssey, of course... and someone else mentioned that that made her think of Odyssey too! \:D/
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

My sister's chemistry teacher just mentioned that one of his college roommate's names was Brian Brainerd. I instantly thought of the Adventures in Odyssey one-time character from "Not-So-Trivial Pursuits"!
Dallas R.
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Dallas R. »

When I was very young, and not yet a huge fan of Odyssey, I remembered the characters of Jack and Joanne getting married. There was this older couple in my church who had the names Joe and Jenny, and for some reason, I thought that they had very similar names to Jack and Joanne. Ever since, I've pictured the characters of Jack and Joanne looking like the couple at my church.
GlennAdams
Expecting a battle

Post by GlennAdams »

I was walking with my books down the hallway and saw a friend walking by and randomly thought of The Worst Day Ever when Mandy's books flew everywhere. Yeah, it was very random.
I do what I do.
Mrs Jason Whittaker
Classic

My friend was telling me he was writing a children's devotional about keeping promises and I immediately thought of "Promises, Promises" even though that episode wasn't so much about keeping promises as about making realistic promises.
-William Booth
GlennAdams
Expecting a battle

Post by GlennAdams »

Well, my mom was talking about handing out candy canes for a middle school election. I automatically thought of Curt and Lucy.
I do what I do.