Part of the Underground Railroad Episode REALLY HAPPENED!!!

This is so cool!

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Part of the Underground Railroad Episode REALLY HAPPENED!!!

Post by JesusFreak777 »

I JUST LEARNED THE COOLEST THING!!!! Remember in "The Underground Railroad," William ships himself to the north in a box in the mail? Guess what: THAT REALLY HAPPENED!!!! In 1849, a slave named Henry Brown from Richmond, VA shipped himself to the office of the Anti-Slavery Society in PA in the hopes of reaching freedom. He is even flipped upside down due to careless movers. He was eventually flipped right side up when someone wanted to sit on the box. After 27 hours, he makes it to his destination, and SURVIVES!!!! How COOL is that?! He eventually becomes famous for his work in the anti-slavery movement and moves to England due to the Fugitive Slave Law passed in 1850 in the USA. (Thanks to Mysteries at the Museum for the info)
A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ that a man would have to seek Him to find her.

JF, JesusFreak777, and JF777 are all copyrighted by this user. Any violators will be fined and prosecuted. Thank you.
Leonard Meltsner
I'm memorable
Location: Odyssey, of course!! Isn't that implied in the name of the forum?

Post by Leonard Meltsner »

That is very cool indeed! Since he said in the episode that they did that regularly, I figured that it was a real practice, but I'd never actually looked into it. That's crazy that he also got flipped like that for goodness-knows-how-long!
Eugene-"Well, the sequence of events occured with extreme rapidity, but I shall attempt to recall them. I was powering my two-wheeler along this concrete pathway, when your personnage suddenly appeared directly in front of me blocking my course. My reflexes immediately sprang to life in an attempt to navigate an evasive manouveur around you while still maintaining course and speed, but I evidently over-compensated, and my Schwinn careened off the hardened path, taking me with it, and up-ended us both in this shrub, a Rhododendron of the heath family I believe, deducing from the leathery evergreen leaves, as distinguished from the deciduous Azalea, which as we all know is..."
Isaac-"You mean, you crashed into this bush cause I got in your way."
Eugene-"Well, that of course is another way of expressing it." Isaac the Benevolent
The Old Judge
Catspaw is splendiferous

Post by The Old Judge »

Yes, somebody besides me watches that show! That has to go up in at least my top four.

I knew slaves did some pretty things to get away, and there have been horrifying stories from the Civil War, but I can't help laugh at part of this. A slave, to get away from his slave masters, ships himself to the headquarters of the Anti-Slavery Society.

That's irony in a very smart way: because it works. A similar scenario would be like a drunkard, desperate to escape the bottle, shipping himself to the headquarters of the Temperance Union.
"Some folks say, 'Well, America's gone too far,' and I say, 'Lazarus was dead, but that wasn't too much for Jesus.'"
---Jeff Fugate
JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

The Old Judge wrote:Yes, somebody besides me watches that show! That has to go up in at least my top four.
YAY!! \:D/ I'm not the only one who watches it either! :D I LOVE it! So much cool stuff!
A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ that a man would have to seek Him to find her.

JF, JesusFreak777, and JF777 are all copyrighted by this user. Any violators will be fined and prosecuted. Thank you.
manfrednissley
I've been here a bit

Post by manfrednissley »

Gonna check this show out!
Most recent post: 12/1/2013, Thankfulness
JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

It is on Travel Channel on Thursday nights if I remember right. manfrednissley. :)

manfrednissley
I've been here a bit

Post by manfrednissley »

It is also on their website! :)
Most recent post: 12/1/2013, Thankfulness