One AIO Season A Year

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Bren wrote:
Nathan Hoobler wrote:The future of the Adventures in Odyssey broadcast schedule is still being discussed. For the near future. there will be one set of 12 OAC stories (available exclusively in the club) and one set of 12 "regular" stories (available on radio, CD, and so on). That's always up for discussion, but that will be the plan for at least the next year.
Well. I don't mind saying I hope the next year is a fantastic failure for them.
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

Since Album 50, it's almost as though Odyssey's become a totally new place. Characters vanish, others change, new ones come. .

. .now this.

Meh.
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
Peachey Keen
Smile for the camera
Post by Peachey Keen »

David Hilder from the AIO Update wrote this great editorial about the status of the OAC that says a lot of the same things I feel about this.
http://aioupdate.weebly.com/editorial-13.html
Dallas R.
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Dallas R. »

Peachey Keen wrote:David Hilder from the AIO Update wrote this great editorial about the status of the OAC that says a lot of the same things I feel about this.
He really does say it well. What is still just not connecting with me is how the people at Focus honestly believe this is a good idea. I understand the need to make money, but first and foremost, they are a ministry, and this does not seem like a wise ministry decision to me.

I will second what Jonathan says in hoping that this fails. I don't know about the rest of you, but I for one will be sorrowfully cutting myself off from full AIO fandom, hereby losing my status as a 'True AIO' fan and will not be joining this club.
Katrina Meltsner talking to Katrina Shanks Video
(Pamela Hayden and Audrey Wasilewski face-off)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDHyEphRM4g

Yep. Using my signature for a shameless plug. But trust me. If I can be so arrogant, I think it'll be worth your time.
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

Marvin D. wrote:Since Album 50, it's almost as though Odyssey's become a totally new place. Characters vanish, others change, new ones come. .

. .now this.

Meh.
MARVIN STOP VOICING MY THOUGHTS GOSH :x

In all seriousness, I'm not really seeing the advantage to all this. Why not run it like a magazine subscription, where you pay about thirty bucks upfront for a year's worth of material? Fifteen bucks a month for these episodes is a bit ridiculous when you consider that you can now buy individual episodes on iTunes for two or three bucks. The latter is an advantage because you can simply mine through and get the episodes you want instead of having all these episodes to which you might not want or care to listen.

Re: the exclusive episodes...way to orchestrate a fandom schism. If this goes the way it sounds like it will, there will probably be some degree of split between those who are in the club and can hear every episode and those who are not in the club and have twelve episodes a year from which they are cut off. It wouldn't be as bad, though, if they made them available for the club first, then released them to us a few months later or what have you. This is a lot different from what others might consider "exclusive content"--it's one thing to offer exclusive concept art or merchandise or something; it's quite another to bar access to a part of the original source for your fandom. If these weren't in canon, it would be fine, but because they are, you automatically lose access to the development of this town and these characters, which to many people is the whole charm of the show in the first place.
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
jennifertwt
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by jennifertwt »

Peachey Keen wrote:David Hilder from the AIO Update wrote this great editorial about the status of the OAC that says a lot of the same things I feel about this.
Very well written. I was not aware that the 24/7 Odyssey radio had shut down. I listened to it at a previous job but do not have that kind of time now. I can see paying a small fee ($5 a month of so) to have that IF you wanted it. I can also see having behind the scenes and bonus material and first listening privileges to the OAC eps. However, if these exclusive episodes are not then made available to the general public either in hard copy or through iTunes, then the sequence on the regular albums will not make sense. I would rather see them cut back to one album a year and maintain continuity than leave the main fan base behind. So, not a good idea. These are the people that introduce their kids and grandkids to the world of Odyssey.

One also has to wonder, if the OAC eps are released at a rate of 1 per month and the regular albums once a year, what would that do their numbering sequence? The writing for these wouild get very complicated.
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

THIS.

Thank you to David Hilder for expressing all of our thoughts. I hope this is forwarded to Nathan Hoobler or the AIO team.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
The Old Judge
Catspaw is splendiferous

Post by The Old Judge »

David Hilder is fantastic, I agree. I always read his articles. I also share the sentiment of everything you all have said about the OAC. On that note, I'm not going to say that we are not true AIO fans. I'm not joining the club, but I'm not denouncing fandom. Are you crazy? :anxious:

What's going to happen here is a standoff. Clearly Focus is trying this for at least a year. Judging from the downright hatred and verbal condemnation shown on the board, it may be helpful if we could forward some of our comments to FOTF, or have Nathan come on himself and see. (Honest opinion: Nathan knows what are feelings would be, so he sent Bren to send us that message instead of getting screamed at himself.)

We shouldn't all jump ship before the liner catches fire. Remember this is a testing ground. If the club fails, (and I want two albums a year again), the exclusive episodes would be rendered obsolete, and probably would be released to the public. I am upset as well that Focus would try and turn their ministry into a for-profit gamble. I implore you all to not stop listening to Adventures in Odyssey, just deter away from the club.
"Some folks say, 'Well, America's gone too far,' and I say, 'Lazarus was dead, but that wasn't too much for Jesus.'"
---Jeff Fugate
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

American Eagle wrote:
THIS.

Thank you to David Hilder for expressing all of our thoughts. I hope this is forwarded to Nathan Hoobler or the AIO team.
I did appreciate the thoughts expressed, and I generally agree. However, the Nathan Hoobler part is probably not really helpful, through no fault of his own. I'm guessing that he already knows that this isn't popular with all fans, but I'm also guessing that as a writer, he isn't the one getting to make these kinds of decisions...unfortuantely. ;)
Christian A.
Animatronic

Post by Christian A. »

Just in defense of the whole thing, though I disagree with it as much as anybody:

I watched the little 1-minute video about the club on the website tonight, and it did say that a portion of the proceeds from the club go to partnering organizations around the world. So FotF isn't getting all of the money from the deal. I still think it's a pretty unreasonable amount, but at least we have a little more of the reasoning behind it.
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

Well, for those who have the Album 57 download, this shouldn't be new news.
ImageImageImage
logos linked
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Catspaw wrote:However, the Nathan Hoobler part is probably not really helpful, through no fault of his own. I'm guessing that he already knows that this isn't popular with all fans, but I'm also guessing that as a writer, he isn't the one getting to make these kinds of decisions...unfortuantely. ;)
Oops! I got Hoobler mixed up with Brock Eastman, who I think is in charge of the project. ;)

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

For those with a Facebook account, Brock has requested that we give voice our concerns about the club. You can search for Brock D. Eastman. The post mentions testing out streaming and has the club logo on it.
ImageImageImage
logos linked
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Reddo
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Reddo »

In podcast 184 they mention that the club was the vision of vice president Jim Moon and that the next social shout out will be about the club
Reddo
aiowiki - we have a lot of info, check us out sometime
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Jonathan wrote:
American Eagle wrote:Do they really expect us non-members to stop caring about half of the episodes? Are they trying to alienate their entire fanbase?
This. And I agree when you said it'll fail, so I'm just gonna wait this out until the 'club episodes' are made available to everyone.
Exactly.

This is outrageous. And here I was mad at the newest episodes in album 57... This is nothing compared to that. I would be very, very upset if I couldn't hear 12 exclusive episodes. $180 is just too much for me. It is hard enough getting the money to buy the albums alone.
Last edited by snubs on Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

snubs, why were you mad with the Album 57 episodes?
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Marvin D. wrote:snubs, why were you mad with the Album 57 episodes?
I haven't heard them. I am only mad at the big spoiler I know about.
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |