One AIO Season A Year

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
Bren
Be positive!

One AIO Season A Year

Post by Bren »

http://thewepodcast.com/blog/one-aio-season-a-year/

Could this soon become a reality for us AIO fans?
ImageImageImage
logos linked
Reddo
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Reddo »

Oh, the humanity! Say it isn't so!
Reddo
aiowiki - we have a lot of info, check us out sometime
E II
Animatronic
Post by E II »

I shall say I certainly hope not
I am confused
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

Same here but with all the changes that have already been happening it wouldn't surprise me.
ImageImageImage
logos linked
Reddo
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Reddo »

It's probably going to happen, they'd probably be losing money if they made 2 albums and 12 club episodes. all the people in the club get those 2 albums for free anyway so their album sales would probably drop to almost nothing
Reddo
Skylerbuck
OK
Post by Skylerbuck »

For us its not what we want, but Focus will make $180/year per person for the club, for all 57 albums plus exclusive episodes. On the digital/CD/iTunes albums they sell for $15-30. Honestly I won't get the club for me, but whoever will, will be giving Focus a lot more money for future episodes.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Ok, so I'm unfamiliar with this club, so tell me if I got this right. They produce an extra album, and the only way you can get it is to join this club for $180 a year? Doesn't seem worth it to me. Nor does it seem fair, because Focus has gotten a lot of money from me already in the last decade thanks to AIO.
Dallas R.
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Dallas R. »

Jonathan wrote:Ok, so I'm unfamiliar with this club, so tell me if I got this right. They produce an extra album, and the only way you can get it is to join this club for $180 a year? Doesn't seem worth it to me. Nor does it seem fair, because Focus has gotten a lot of money from me already in the last decade thanks to AIO.
Yep. That's exactly how I feel. I just keep seeing it from the perspective of an 8-12 year old kid from a less well to do family (like my own) whose parents won't be able to by it for him. Now he could miss up to half of the episodes each year. At age 20, I'm still not able to afford $180 a year for 12 episodes.
Katrina Meltsner talking to Katrina Shanks Video
(Pamela Hayden and Audrey Wasilewski face-off)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDHyEphRM4g

Yep. Using my signature for a shameless plug. But trust me. If I can be so arrogant, I think it'll be worth your time.
~JCGJ~
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

It really wouldn't effect me to terribly, because we usually only get the new AiO volumes for Christmas, so it's basically only once a year for us anyway.
As for this club... Pirating is a thing. :- :mrgreen:
Last edited by ~JCGJ~ on Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
They/Them
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Skylerbuck
OK
Post by Skylerbuck »

The club also lets you stream Albums 1-57.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Yeahhh, I'm pretty sure we'll find a way to listen to the exclusive episodes. :anxious:

Who is making these marketing decisions at Focus? Blech.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Skylerbuck
OK
Post by Skylerbuck »

Brock Eastman is in charge of this. :)
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

I wish him nothing but the very best of luck, but this thing is going to fail. I don't know of anyone willing to pay $180 to join an online club. That's as much as some of us pay for internet service for like, an entire year. Netflix charges $7.99 a month to stream thousands of shows; why would any sane person say $15 a month to stream one show?

I have so many questions about this:
  • Do you get the exclusive albums for free if you're a club member?
  • If it's free, how many months do you have to be a member before you get the free album? One month? A year?
  • How are they going to keep the episodes from getting uploaded to Grooveshark or YouTube, or sold on eBay?
  • What about big families? Does each kid need a membership, or is this a family membership?
  • Do they really expect us non-members to stop caring about half of the episodes? Are they trying to alienate their entire fanbase?
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Skylerbuck wrote:The club also lets you stream Albums 1-57.
Which means nothing if you've already spent like a grand for all those hard copies. That's not an incentive.
American Eagle wrote:Do they really expect us non-members to stop caring about half of the episodes? Are they trying to alienate their entire fanbase?
This. And I agree when you said it'll fail, so I'm just gonna wait this out until the 'club episodes' are made available to everyone.
The Old Judge
Catspaw is splendiferous

Post by The Old Judge »

You realize if they're termed "exclusive", they probably won't be made to the public, right?

However, I wish they would release them to us cheapskates, too. Maybe they could give them to the club members first, and release them publicly about a year later.
"Some folks say, 'Well, America's gone too far,' and I say, 'Lazarus was dead, but that wasn't too much for Jesus.'"
---Jeff Fugate
Knight Fisher
I fish in the darkness
I fish in the darkness

Post by Knight Fisher »

Not being willing to pay $180 in no way makes someone a cheapskate.
To LGBT ToOers: The world is so much wider than your family and church. There are accepting people out there.
E II
Animatronic
Post by E II »

Yay I'm a cheapskate because I am not spending $180 a year to get an exclusive album \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
I am confused
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

According to the bonus video from 57, we will discover discipleship in action. They will have a website for it. We will be able to listen to over 700 episodes on our computer or mobile device. They will have a new audio adventure every month (we already knew that). They will have video stories to take us deeper into the adventure. We'll get a free subscription to Clubhouse. They will also have a members only e-newsletter filled with discounts and updates. A portion of club proceeds will support partner organizations and outreach efforts around the globe.
ImageImageImage
logos linked
Reddo
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Reddo »

American Eagle wrote:I wish him nothing but the very best of luck, but this thing is going to fail. I don't know of anyone willing to pay $180 to join an online club. That's as much as some of us pay for internet service for like, an entire year. Netflix charges $7.99 a month to stream thousands of shows; why would any sane person say $15 a month to stream one show?

I have so many questions about this:
  • Do you get the exclusive albums for free if you're a club member?
  • If it's free, how many months do you have to be a member before you get the free album? One month? A year?
  • How are they going to keep the episodes from getting uploaded to Grooveshark or YouTube, or sold on eBay?
  • What about big families? Does each kid need a membership, or is this a family membership?
  • Do they really expect us non-members to stop caring about half of the episodes? Are they trying to alienate their entire fanbase?

answers:
  • yes
  • no waiting time at all you sign up you have the exclusive episodes, it's not really an album it's just single episodes released on monthly basis
  • lawyers talking to those companies and ordering them to be taken down
  • no, one membership per family
  • it seems like it, but we should give them the benefit of the doubt
Last edited by Reddo on Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reddo
The Old Judge
Catspaw is splendiferous

Post by The Old Judge »

I emailed Brock Eastman about a month ago with my concerns. Shoot me if you want, but I don't think the OAC is an inherently bad idea. My issue comes when Brock said the exclusive episodes would most likely be considered canon with the rest of the show. If they weren't canonical, go ahead and knock your socks off. But if I'm going to miss canon episodes of Adventures in Odyssey, someone somewhere will get an aggravated message from me...
"Some folks say, 'Well, America's gone too far,' and I say, 'Lazarus was dead, but that wasn't too much for Jesus.'"
---Jeff Fugate