Will You Be Joining The OAC?

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!

Will You Be Signing Up For Odyssey Adventure Club?

Absolutely!
11%
Most Likely
5%
Probably Not
32%
Flat-Out Refuse
52%

Total votes: 44

Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

Oh. Well. .yay for support for international people and overseas missionaries.
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

Cbriggs45 wrote: can get 15 dollars a month easy if you actually try most of you people on this board are smart enough you just seem not to have the drive to. but hey i get it. i am not trying to insult or attack it just seems like a lot of people do more whinning about this club than actually doing any action.
So basically, you're telling people who probably have other things on which to spend their money that, essentially, they're too lazy to get fifteen bucks a month to pay for this, and this is somehow not an attack on anyone...?

"Most of us people on this board"--or at least quite a few of us, and certainly those who have been complaining--are high school students, college students and young adults, demographics that are well-known for needing tight budget plans. Not all in the demographic have such a need, but many of us do. I have to pay on my own for anything that isn't essential to my survival as a human being, and when I graduate and go to college, I'll have pay for most of those essentials, too. If I ever want to go on a church trip, I have to pay for some of it, many of the prices three, four, or even five times as much as the cost for a year in this club. I'm preparing to study art in college, and I have to pay for my own art supplies, many of which are quite expensive (48 Prismacolor colored pencils cost upward of $100, for example.) Put frankly, I don't have time to get a job; I take eight classes, almost all of which require a considerable amount of effort just to get low A's in, and I don't need to deal with the stress of a job on top of it. My parents wouldn't pay for it; our family budget in total isn't exactly as loose as we'd like it to be, and we on my planet have these magical things called bills that we kind of have to pay each month, not to mention the fact that many of the things in my house are something like fifteen years old, and need fixing--repairs that cost money.

I doubt I'm alone. Not everyone on this earth is that well-off, and even if they are, it's not laziness or lack of motivation that keeps people from wanting to spend fifteen bucks a month for this thing--they have to take into account that real life exists, and that real life costs money. It's great and all that you're able to share Odyssey with your relatives--by all means, do. The club is clearly worth the money in that case. But for those of us who can't afford it--not won't, can't--to say that we simply don't have the drive to scrounge up fifteen dollars each month that can and should go to much more important expenses is an attack, whether you're trying to make it one or not, and is an unfounded one at that, especially since you also accuse us of not taking any action, which explains the countless posts in this thread concerning members of this board who have taken their complaints to Focus every which way they can.
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

For me, some of it is I seriously cannot afford it. And some of it is, I just won't pay for it.
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

TigerintheShadows wrote:
Cbriggs45 wrote: can get 15 dollars a month easy if you actually try most of you people on this board are smart enough you just seem not to have the drive to. but hey i get it. i am not trying to insult or attack it just seems like a lot of people do more whinning about this club than actually doing any action.
So basically, you're telling people who probably have other things on which to spend their money that, essentially, they're too lazy to get fifteen bucks a month to pay for this, and this is somehow not an attack on anyone...?

"Most of us people on this board"--or at least quite a few of us, and certainly those who have been complaining--are high school students, college students and young adults, demographics that are well-known for needing tight budget plans. Not all in the demographic have such a need, but many of us do. I have to pay on my own for anything that isn't essential to my survival as a human being, and when I graduate and go to college, I'll have pay for most of those essentials, too. If I ever want to go on a church trip, I have to pay for some of it, many of the prices three, four, or even five times as much as the cost for a year in this club. I'm preparing to study art in college, and I have to pay for my own art supplies, many of which are quite expensive (48 Prismacolor colored pencils cost upward of $100, for example.) Put frankly, I don't have time to get a job; I take eight classes, almost all of which require a considerable amount of effort just to get low A's in, and I don't need to deal with the stress of a job on top of it. My parents wouldn't pay for it; our family budget in total isn't exactly as loose as we'd like it to be, and we on my planet have these magical things called bills that we kind of have to pay each month, not to mention the fact that many of the things in my house are something like fifteen years old, and need fixing--repairs that cost money.

I doubt I'm alone. Not everyone on this earth is that well-off, and even if they are, it's not laziness or lack of motivation that keeps people from wanting to spend fifteen bucks a month for this thing--they have to take into account that real life exists, and that real life costs money. It's great and all that you're able to share Odyssey with your relatives--by all means, do. The club is clearly worth the money in that case. But for those of us who can't afford it--not won't, can't--to say that we simply don't have the drive to scrounge up fifteen dollars each month that can and should go to much more important expenses is an attack, whether you're trying to make it one or not, and is an unfounded one at that, especially since you also accuse us of not taking any action, which explains the countless posts in this thread concerning members of this board who have taken their complaints to Focus every which way they can.
↑ 1,000,000 points

Essentially, this. $15 is more money than you think if your family's a missionary family who lives overseas and has a lot of expenses that must be taken care of all the time. Not only are their personal expenses, but there are ministry expenses, and we don't exactly get a steady paycheck every month, you know? To put it in the simplest, bluntest language: my family has enough trouble providing for basic necessities as it is at the moment, and our budget is as tight as it can get. There is simply no room for $180/year when it could go towards something that's a *necessity.*

So you're not trying to "insult or attack," yet you go ahead and say that we're "whinning [sic]," and are "petty and or spoiled brats" who don't have the drive to do anything. Ergo, we're a bunch of lazy bums who expect everything to come our way without doing anything. Then what, pray tell, is this thread all about? We have offered various solutions and contacted Focus over the months, but nothing has really come out of it. However, we are not whining for the mere sake of whining because we don't have anything better to do. Implying that we're a bunch of lazy slackers and then also assuming that we lack the drive to do anything is both an insult to our characters and an egregious presumption on your part. Your attitude towards those of us in this whole thread has been somewhat condescending and patronizing, and it's really not appreciated. Please refrain from making such assumptions in the future and then tacking on a disclaimer that none of this is "trying to insult or attack," because really, that's exactly what you've done.

//endrant
Last edited by Marvin D. on Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

So you're not trying to "insult or attack," yet you go ahead and say that we're "whinning [sic]," and are "petty and or spoiled brats" who don't have the drive to do anything. Ergo, we're a bunch of lazy bums who expect everything to come our way without doing anything. Then what, pray tell, is this thread all about? We have offered various solutions and contacted Focus over the months, but nothing has really come out of it. However, we are not whining for the mere sake of whining because we don't have anything better to do. Implying that we're a bunch of lazy slackers and then also assuming that we lack the drive to do anything is both an insult to our characters and an egregious presumption on your part. Your attitude towards those of us in this whole thread has been somewhat condescending and patronizing, and it's really not appreciated. Please refrain from making such assumptions in the future and then tacking on a disclaimer that none of this is "trying to insult or attack," because really, that's exactly what you've done.
sCREAMS

SPOILER ALERT: Perfect post is perfect.
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

The best part of this is cbrigg's signature. Irony knows no limits my friends.
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

TigerintheShadows wrote:
sCREAMS

SPOILER ALERT: Perfect post is perfect.
We have to stop agreeing so much. It's not healthy for our adversarial relationship :(

jennifertwt
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by jennifertwt »

Well, as stated many times, we are far from young. However, I am sure have heard of the recession that has also hit Europe and after 6 years of on and off unemployment and only now having temporary jobs, it just was not a wise investment. Especially since we have already uploaded my entire collection to the computer. And now, to add insult to injury, it seems that even if we WERE able to pay for it, it is not available outside the US. Mostly, I stay on this thread as a outlet to my frustration. Otherwise, I might suck it up and quietly go mad.......I am grateful for a place to vent, and hopefully learn when things turn around for the better. I am not seeing alot of positive comments on the AIO facebook page.....a few, but alot of disappointment over the cost and lack of availablity outside the US. My main beef is that this is the only outlet for the OAC eps. I could care less about the bonus material. And especially with it only available in the US.......that defeats the "ministry" purpose to missionary and overseas military families.
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden
JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

Cbriggs45 wrote:you can download the episodes from OAC with most firefox plugin's they are .ogg format. i just convert them to mp3 for my ipod.

i would never give them away. though no point.

I am grateful for this club cause i am paying for the account and my nieces and nephews now can listen along with me. Their future means more than the money.

I dont understnad why every one is mad you can get 15 dollars a month easy if you actually try most of you people on this board are smart enough you just seem not to have the drive to. but hey i get it. i am not trying to insult or attack it just seems like a lot of people do more whinning about this club than actually doing any action.

It is why i quit coming here. i am grateful for this club and i am happy. along with all the feed back on the site itself the people like it.. my thoughts fish or cut bait but stop complaining. it only makes you look petty and or spoiled brats.
I'm glad you like it. Question though: do your nieces and nephew's live with you, because if they are accessing it and don't, then that is technically piracy, according to what Focus has put out. It is only to be accessed by people within the same household. If they do, that's cool, I was just curious. I wanted to get it so that several friends with families could use my account since they can't afford it otherwise, but Focus said it's per household, so there went that plan!
A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ that a man would have to seek Him to find her.

JF, JesusFreak777, and JF777 are all copyrighted by this user. Any violators will be fined and prosecuted. Thank you.
Jimmy Barclay Fan
Classic

Post by Jimmy Barclay Fan »

I am not happy with everything. I am not pleased with some stuff about the new club and decisions being made. I have joined the club. I really want to hear the officer harley episodes. I admit it. I know it's not a popular decision. I debated it back and forth many times. I sent several emails and heard back. But I have joined the club.

I am a big fan of AIO, but I am not Jave Griffin or have ever been on AIO. I am just a huge fan of AIO and Jimmy Barclay. I love Odyssey, and Jimmy rules.
jennifertwt
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by jennifertwt »

Jimmy Barclay Fan wrote:I am not happy with everything. I am not pleased with some stuff about the new club and decisions being made. I have joined the club. I really want to hear the officer harley episodes. I admit it. I know it's not a popular decision. I debated it back and forth many times. I sent several emails and heard back. But I have joined the club.
so are the Harley files there? I am frustrated all over again knowing that even if I CHOSE to join the Club, I CAN'T.
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

At this point the only thing they have are the 57 albums. One interesting thing about that is what were the gold audio series continues bonuses like the original Focus radio dramas that they produced prior to Family Portraits. They also have The Lost Episodes, Dariens Rise, and The Truth Chronicles.
ImageImageImage
logos linked
Reddo
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Reddo »

Bren wrote:At this point the only thing they have are the 57 albums. One interesting thing about that is what were the gold audio series continues bonuses like the original Focus radio dramas that they produced prior to Family Portraits. They also have The Lost Episodes, Dariens Rise, and The Truth Chronicles.
and the official podcasts, but there's no album for them, you have to search for them if you want to find them.

I've been told all the stuff advertised, Harley, Radio Theater, LCD ect will be coming later
Reddo
aiowiki - we have a lot of info, check us out sometime
jennifertwt
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by jennifertwt »

Reddo wrote:
Bren wrote:At this point the only thing they have are the 57 albums. One interesting thing about that is what were the gold audio series continues bonuses like the original Focus radio dramas that they produced prior to Family Portraits. They also have The Lost Episodes, Dariens Rise, and The Truth Chronicles.
and the official podcasts, but there's no album for them, you have to search for them if you want to find them.

I've been told all the stuff advertised, Harley, Radio Theater, LCD ect will be coming later
hm......................sounds like alot of "false advertising" or at least "misleading" advertising went on, like not mentioning that it was only available in the US, etc.

So far I have all that and I can live without the other bonus content. I was hoping the Family Portraits download would include all of the Focus on the Family program surrounding it, but I can live without it. It was interesting in a "historical" context.
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

If it's only available for those in the States, can't they release the other episodes as an album on iTunes?

jennifertwt
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by jennifertwt »

Marvin D. wrote:If it's only available for those in the States, can't they release the other episodes as an album on iTunes?
that has been one of my points all along. If they also release the OAC eps on itunes, then those of us who want to can buy them before hearing and those that have heard them in the OAC club, can then own them instead of just having access. When I finally got a response, AIO said it had to do with "contracts" which I totally fail to understand. I do not know how much it costs to put things up on iTunes but they would certainly generate more revenue if they did. I would happily buy them and the Harley Files. ](*,)

They could either put them up once a month, maybe a month behind to satisfy those paying for the Club, or at the end of the year when all 12 OAC eps have been released first in the Ex-Club. I could be happy with that. My email also said that IF they are EVER released, it would be at least a year after the last one has been heard, which would make it closer to two year. At age 49,I am a bit less happy with that. http://thetoo.com/images/smilies/Demonstration.gif
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden
The Old Judge
Catspaw is splendiferous

Post by The Old Judge »

Knowing that the Last Chance Detectives and Radio Theatre series will be included makes the Club sound better, at least for people like me who have never heard those two before.
"Some folks say, 'Well, America's gone too far,' and I say, 'Lazarus was dead, but that wasn't too much for Jesus.'"
---Jeff Fugate
H Tide
Sing in the sunshine

Post by H Tide »

So I was reading PluggedIn's blog, and they mentioned today that 1,400 people have signed up for the OAC. I'm glad it's serving its use to some people, but of course, it would nice for longtime fans of the show to be able to have access for a less expensive price. Maybe even not have access to the whole library of episodes, only the rare ones, for a lower subscription cost.
jennifertwt
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by jennifertwt »

We have offered that as an option to FOF many times. As of Monday, I will be employed fulltime and now have another issue with them. Even if I was willing to pay the fee, which I am still not sure I would, I do not even have the opportunity as I am in Europe. I also think that some people might try it for a year, maybe two, become disappointed with the long wait time between OAC eps and drop out, especially if they are not available in a collection at the end of the year. Having access to the other features is nice, but I think the OAC eps are the main selling point and people will grow tired of waiting a whole month for a new ep, or worse, for the continuation of a two parter..........
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden
Reddo
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Reddo »

you could sign up from Europe, just give a fake address, someone else will get your clubhouse magazine, but you still get the club
Reddo
aiowiki - we have a lot of info, check us out sometime