ATTN: AIO Adventure Club episodes discussion with Brock

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
Leonard Meltsner
I'm memorable
Location: Odyssey, of course!! Isn't that implied in the name of the forum?

ATTN: AIO Adventure Club episodes discussion with Brock

Post by Leonard Meltsner »

Brock posted earlier about the Adventure Club episodes on Facebook, and Brendon posted the AIOUpdate editorial for it. Timorthy, Audrey and myself have also commented on it, and Brock has asked us to try and bring people in on the discussion. Here (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... hoto_reply) is the link to the picture, so please go and comment your thoughts and air your grievances! If you aren't acquainted with the situation, please read the editorial Bren posted on the picture there. Brock said that this is a chance for us to air our thoughts and is a real chance for us to make a change in this policy, so PLEASE go right now and get into the discussion!
Eugene-"Well, the sequence of events occured with extreme rapidity, but I shall attempt to recall them. I was powering my two-wheeler along this concrete pathway, when your personnage suddenly appeared directly in front of me blocking my course. My reflexes immediately sprang to life in an attempt to navigate an evasive manouveur around you while still maintaining course and speed, but I evidently over-compensated, and my Schwinn careened off the hardened path, taking me with it, and up-ended us both in this shrub, a Rhododendron of the heath family I believe, deducing from the leathery evergreen leaves, as distinguished from the deciduous Azalea, which as we all know is..."
Isaac-"You mean, you crashed into this bush cause I got in your way."
Eugene-"Well, that of course is another way of expressing it." Isaac the Benevolent
The Old Judge
Catspaw is splendiferous

Post by The Old Judge »

What happens if we don't have Facebook?
"Some folks say, 'Well, America's gone too far,' and I say, 'Lazarus was dead, but that wasn't too much for Jesus.'"
---Jeff Fugate
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Then post right here what you want to say, and one of us with facebook will make sure it gets to Brock.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I don't like having to pay for AIO episodes. Seems to me that anyone who wants to listen/download should be able to without having to pay. AIO has been free for 25 years, I see no reason why some episodes are free while we have to pay for others. If people choose not to pay then the episodes should be made available to everyone on CD.
Last edited by Laurie on Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

I am the station manager of a Christian radio station in Illinois that airs Adventures in Odyssey. We broadcast Odyssey 7 days a week to almost a million people throughout Central Illinois. My take on the exclusive episodes is a unique one... Limit a season on the radio to 12 episodes a year? This is a bad idea. Odyssey started on radio 25 years ago and remains Odyssey's primary distribution method. Millions of people would be forced to hear 12 episodes a year on the air or pay the additional $15 per month to get an exclusive 12 episodes only available through the Odyssey Adventure Club. This is not fair to Odyssey's loyal radio audience. Many Christian homes can't afford another monthly expense with the way our economy is. We have seen a gradual decline in listener giving over the past several years. Families don't have the expendable income they use to have. They are more selective when purchasing things. If the Odyssey team is going to continue producing 24 episodes per year, the episodes should be available on the radio... All fans should have access to every regular show. Radio stations have to respond to complaints from listeners when they are disappointed about a program.

I can hear the conversation now...

"Why has Odyssey stopped making as many shows for us to listen to?"
"Odyssey is still making 24 shows a year but you have to join the Odyssey Adventure Club to hear 12 of them."
"Are they free episodes?"
"No, there is a monthly fee."
"I can't afford the cost. Why can't they be aired on the radio?"
"I don't know. this is just the way Focus wants to do things."

I don't want to criticize Focus. I love Adventures in Odyssey, but I can begin to hear the phone calls if radio episodes are blimited to 12 instead of the usual 24. Please return to the regular distribution of episodes, especially for radio. Remain to your original fan base who has supported you all these 25 years. Thanks on behalf of the several thousand radio stations that air Adventures In Odyssey.
That says a lot right there.
ImageImageImage
logos linked
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

I was excited when I saw that comment.
Last edited by Jonathan on Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Scribbler
I'm the Scribbler and you're not.

Post by The Scribbler »

So. Jonathan. We meet again.
The Old Judge
Catspaw is splendiferous

Post by The Old Judge »

Has there been any official decision from Focus yet? Here's my grievance:

On account of the OAC, if for no other reason, the Adventures in Odyssey team will be releasing half of their episodes on a bias. If you don't have the cash, you can't hear them. The prices are extravagant. $15 a month, when one album is the same price if you buy them in bulk. This will estrange the fan base, and will account for a good portion of Odyssey's eventual demise, if you put it into practice. And of course you remember that this is supposed to be a ministry, not a cash crop. In the episode Not One of Us, you (the team at Focus) dealt with bigotry and how it was wrong. In a subliminal way, you are (unintentionally), discriminating with the Adventure Club. The thousands upon thousands that listen to Odyssey now will lack half ofd the listening material and plot lines, eventually pulling them away from the show altogether. Please don't make that mistake.
"Some folks say, 'Well, America's gone too far,' and I say, 'Lazarus was dead, but that wasn't too much for Jesus.'"
---Jeff Fugate
Leonard Meltsner
I'm memorable
Location: Odyssey, of course!! Isn't that implied in the name of the forum?

Post by Leonard Meltsner »

The Old Judge wrote:Has there been any official decision from Focus yet? Here's my grievance:

On account of the OAC, if for no other reason, the Adventures in Odyssey team will be releasing half of their episodes on a bias. If you don't have the cash, you can't hear them. The prices are extravagant. $15 a month, when one album is the same price if you buy them in bulk. This will estrange the fan base, and will account for a good portion of Odyssey's eventual demise, if you put it into practice. And of course you remember that this is supposed to be a ministry, not a cash crop. In the episode Not One of Us, you (the team at Focus) dealt with bigotry and how it was wrong. In a subliminal way, you are (unintentionally), discriminating with the Adventure Club. The thousands upon thousands that listen to Odyssey now will lack half ofd the listening material and plot lines, eventually pulling them away from the show altogether. Please don't make that mistake.
Do you want me to post that on your behalf?
Eugene-"Well, the sequence of events occured with extreme rapidity, but I shall attempt to recall them. I was powering my two-wheeler along this concrete pathway, when your personnage suddenly appeared directly in front of me blocking my course. My reflexes immediately sprang to life in an attempt to navigate an evasive manouveur around you while still maintaining course and speed, but I evidently over-compensated, and my Schwinn careened off the hardened path, taking me with it, and up-ended us both in this shrub, a Rhododendron of the heath family I believe, deducing from the leathery evergreen leaves, as distinguished from the deciduous Azalea, which as we all know is..."
Isaac-"You mean, you crashed into this bush cause I got in your way."
Eugene-"Well, that of course is another way of expressing it." Isaac the Benevolent
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

With the release of Bob Smithouser, I only fear that things will get worse financially.
ImageImageImage
logos linked
The Old Judge
Catspaw is splendiferous

Post by The Old Judge »

Yes, Leonard, I would. If you don't mind.

@Bren: What do you mean "released" him?
---Jeff Fugate
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

The Scribbler wrote:So. Jonathan. We meet again.
Ah, yes, my old.....fiend? friend? I'm not sure. Hey, can I borrow your camera?
Bren wrote:With the release of Bob Smithouser, I only fear that things will get worse financially.
What? Was he involved with Odyssey? And if so in what capacity? I was always under the impression his involvement at Focus was primarily with Plugged In.
The Old Judge wrote:Yes, Leonard, I would. If you don't mind.
I already did.
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

Bob did the podcast.
ImageImageImage
logos linked
The Scribbler

Post by The Scribbler »

Bren wrote:Bob did the podcast.
And how do you know this?
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

Maybe because I've listened since day one...
ImageImageImage
logos linked
The Scribbler

Post by The Scribbler »

Hey, calm down pal! I'm just asking, how do you know so much about this?
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

I heard about it on FB.
ImageImageImage
logos linked
whittaker96
Gold Member

Post by whittaker96 »

The Old Judge wrote:@Bren: What do you mean "released" him?
Hey Bren, could you clarify this?

But here's my response, which I already posted:
http://odysseyoutofcontrol.blogspot.com ... -open.html
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

whittaker96 wrote:But here's my response, which I already posted:

If you don't buy online and actually go to a bookstore, an album costs something like $25. If they tier it, and the basic package with the exclusive episodes cost more than $25 a year--because these exclusive episodes total one album--then this is still a horrible idea.

edit--And I'm not trying to be rude here, but to present this as a real question as a response to your article. I've been listening for just over 13 years. In that time, I've spent well over $1500 on hard copies alone (I had to buy some twice thanks to having to replace cassettes and all that). I'll be honest, this whole paying $180 for what amounts to one album, and being unable to get them any other way, feels like a really big insult.

I have no problem finding the cons here. For someone like me, what are the pros?
Last edited by Jonathan on Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
whittaker96
Gold Member

Post by whittaker96 »

Jonathan wrote:
whittaker96 wrote:But here's my response, which I already posted:

If you don't buy online and actually go to a bookstore, an album costs something like $25. If they tier it, and the basic package with the exclusive episodes cost more than $25 a year--because these exclusive episodes total one album--then this is still a horrible idea.

edit--And I'm not trying to be rude here, but to present this as a real question as a response to your article. I've been listening for just over 13 years. In that time, I've spent well over $1500 on hard copies alone (I had to buy some twice thanks to having to replace cassettes and all that). I'll be honest, this whole paying $180 for what amounts to one album, and being unable to get them any other way, feels like a really big insult.

I have no problem finding the cons here. For someone like me, what are the pros?
I totally get that. I haven't listened as long as you (ten years) and haven't spent as much as you (about 85% of all the albums), but I'm intrigued by the "AIO goes Spotify" concept. However, the fact that the cost to listen to 12 "exclusive" episodes that fits in the canon yet isn't accessible to every listener and stream every episode is more than, say, Netflix, with a much larger library of content, feels wrong.

The point I was trying to make is that there are lots of factors at play here and it seems like Focus and the fans have largely focused on only certain factors. Focus seems to be making a play at a new source of revenue for their ministries and the fans are upset that our loyalty is being tested in such a way. I think Focus is forgetting about certain core groups that are very interested in the episodes but are upset over the possible new avenue to get there. I've been checking up things about Focus, and if what I've been reading about financial dilemmas over there are true, I think the fans need to realize that Odyssey may be in need of some new form of income, and Focus believed that the OAC was the way to get there. Things would be a lot smoother if Focus tried not to alienate core groups like diehards and radio listeners and the fans started looking for, perhaps, other ways to support Focus that would allow a sizable amount of stories to be released each year.

Less a pro/con thing and more a "understanding all the variables" thing.