African Natives and Spears and Conflict, Oh My!

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

African Natives and Spears and Conflict, Oh My!

Post by Marvin D. »

Oh, no! Look at the poor missionaries surrounded by angry Ugandan tribal people wielding big, ugly spears, ready to attack the missionaries or even the other tribe! It's a good thing Whit and Wooton are here in order to save the day and avoid major bloodshed! :mad:
. . .
. . .
Am I the only one who feels slightly very insulted? I mean, I've lived in Africa for ten years, and I've yet to see a spear of any sorts. .unless it's at the tourist shop back in the city. I feel like this artwork (and likely the episode) is doing nothing more than further entrenching ridiculous stereotypes of warring tribes in the dark jungles of Africa when that's not even the real problem. No, the financial situations the countries find themselves in aren't interesting. No, we can't bore the listeners by talking about the rituals, traditions, and binding superstition that's rampant among the people. Not cutting it.

SO LET'S HAVE SPEAR-WIELDING NATIVES SURROUNDING A BUNCH OF TERRIFIED WHITE MISSIONARIES INSTEAD!!!1 \:D/

Really, Odyssey? Really? Is this the same organization that produced "A Mission for Jimmy" two decades ago?
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

I'm insulted for an entirely different reason, which I'd write about again if that horse hadn't already been beat dead.

Out of curiosity, which nation do you live in?
Blitz
Love to love

Post by Blitz »

We live in Ghana West Africa.
Last edited by Blitz on Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Online family
Christian's nephew
Sammy's Bro and moderator between Sammy and Woody and her partner in randomnes
Woody's younger brother and best friend And married to Joy and forgot about it Dolls third cousin
Yes, since my sweetheart lives in the clouds
I must float on them. - Limerick

Blitz....do not flirt when you have a gf already!!!! Gahhhhhh..these tweens need to learn proper gentlemanly behaviour!!!
Blitz: I am a teen
* Black_Ghost buries the two peeps...err chicks...err dude and a chick
'Here lies blitz the dude, and IT the chick.
* IrishTiger is not being buried beside Blitz.
Doll knows everything about her sweet baboo
BECAUSE SHE STALKS HIM
Woody
Check out my blog by order of the king.
http://blitzkrieglight.blogspot.com/
Dallas R.
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Dallas R. »

First post of 2014! Dave Madden's passing brought me back to the checking the message boards on a more regular basis. I can't tell if I'm surprised or not that there aren't a lot of threads discussing the new episode or the club. But as Jonathan said, we've hit that subject pretty hard.

Anyway, I also have not so great feelings towards this picture. This looks like the perfect picture that Whit could use to correct false notions with one of the kids at Whit's End, pointing out how unrealistic it is compared to what most missions trips actually look like. I wonder if Gary Locke questioned the idea when they gave him the prompt, or if it was his idea to add the spears and such.
Katrina Meltsner talking to Katrina Shanks Video
(Pamela Hayden and Audrey Wasilewski face-off)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDHyEphRM4g

Yep. Using my signature for a shameless plug. But trust me. If I can be so arrogant, I think it'll be worth your time.
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

Jonathan wrote:I'm insulted for an entirely different reason, which I'd write about again if that horse hadn't already been beat dead.

Out of curiosity, which nation do you live in?
Is it the terrible artwork? \:D/ I'm curious to know.

And the country is Ghana.
Dallas R. wrote:Anyway, I also have not so great feelings towards this picture. This looks like the perfect picture that Whit could use to correct false notions with one of the kids at Whit's End, pointing out how unrealistic it is compared to what most missions trips actually look like. I wonder if Gary Locke questioned the idea when they gave him the prompt, or if it was his idea to add the spears and such.
^this, pretty much. I'd expect Odyssey to do something a little less culturally insulting/demeaning and stick to what they'd been touting all along. I mean, spears. Really. And when you've got so many impressionable little kids listening, they wind up thinking that that's what most missionaries do. .and then grow up and decide that the "real" missionary work is boring.

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Christian A.
Animatronic

Post by Christian A. »

Marvin D. wrote:And when you've got so many impressionable little kids listening, they wind up thinking that that's what most missionaries do. .and then grow up and decide that the "real" missionary work is boring.
I was having trouble caring about this, until I saw this point. That is a real danger. I know it's one that I fell into as I grew up and started to realize that missionary work isn't as glamorous as we as kids think it is. AIO should not be helping those misconceptions but guarding against them. Otherwise, what is the point of this offshoot series anyway?
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

To get money off of the fans \:D/

And even without that point, I still think it's something to care about. The West often has enough misconceptions about just about every culture besides their own, and portraying Africans in this light doesn't further the cause of abolishing such ridiculous stereotypes. That's not the real problem that plagues most African countries, so it's also embellishing the truth and shoving aside any real issues for the mere sake of drama. Those are other reasons to care.

And ultimately, since this is supposed to be all about "missions," I'm finding it quite a flop, considering that i) I can't subscribe, but even if I could, ii) it's much too expensive, and finally iii) Even if I COULD afford it, I don't feel like supporting something that gets under my skin more often than not.

Reddo
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Reddo »

The story revolves around two tribes that are disagreeing about who owns a heard of cattle that are roaming around free around the country side. there are machine guns too, not just spears
Reddo
aiowiki - we have a lot of info, check us out sometime
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Reddo wrote:The story revolves around two tribes that are disagreeing about who owns a heard of cattle that are roaming around free around the country side. there are machine guns too, not just spears
It's a good thing Whit is there to read the Bible to them until they stop.
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

That's...really lame.
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

Yeah, I saw this image on the AIO Facebook page last night and went searching for any sign of the plot being that they've gone back in time or that this is an Imagination Station episode. I came to the conclusion that this isn't the case, and they intend it to be present day Uganda. I'm appalled, really. Spears? And long colorful tunics and jewelry and headbands? And spears? Seriously, I'm embarrassed for them to represent people like this. Such a stereotype.
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon
radgeek
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by radgeek »

Living in NYC, I see many cultures. I have even help care for people during malaria bouts. It wasn't until I when to CT that I realized just how much Christians didn't know about the world outside the United States and Canada. We don't need more stereotypes being fed to our children. Truth is far more powerful and more likely to burden people to the field.
I have the best signature ever!

ToO mother of Merlin J. Marvin, iluvsns, ric, TKD, Alyssa, Garrett, ID4J and Monty and the other siblings that I've yet to find. ToO sister of Whitty Whit.

In the market for a Reformers Unanimous Signature Banner

Blitz: You Americans are lost. As missionaries, we generally hate stereotypes.
Jelly: Was this meant to be ironic? ;)
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Reddo wrote:The story revolves around two tribes that are disagreeing about who owns a heard of cattle that are roaming around free around the country side. there are machine guns too, not just spears
That's reassuring. I logged in just to say they should update them to machine guns.

Continue the good work, Focus! \:D/

Maybe Dave Madden was their fact checker?
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

radgeek wrote:It wasn't until I when to CT that I realized just how much Christians didn't know about the world outside the United States and Canada. We don't need more stereotypes being fed to our children. Truth is far more powerful and more likely to burden people to the field.
Right. This is why this image isn't only offensive to Ugandans (although it really, really is), it should be offensive to ALL of us. We deserve better.

I would say it's probably wiser to actually listen to the episode before unleashing judgment, but then again from what I understand, this image was released as part of Focus' marketing campaign to get people to sign up for their AIO club or whatever it is if they actually want to listen to the episode. So it's hard to sympathize.
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
Blitz
Love to love

Post by Blitz »

WE TREAT MALARIA BETTER THAN YOU AMERICAN.
See we are not hopeless peoples. You Americans get rid of malaria for oh a few month at the most, and it comes back. We get rid of it.
Actually some Africans still do stick to traditional, but Ugandans have been for the most part peaceful between tribes and fighting more along the line of Communism and AK-47s.
Online family
Christian's nephew
Sammy's Bro and moderator between Sammy and Woody and her partner in randomnes
Woody's younger brother and best friend And married to Joy and forgot about it Dolls third cousin
Yes, since my sweetheart lives in the clouds
I must float on them. - Limerick

Blitz....do not flirt when you have a gf already!!!! Gahhhhhh..these tweens need to learn proper gentlemanly behaviour!!!
Blitz: I am a teen
* Black_Ghost buries the two peeps...err chicks...err dude and a chick
'Here lies blitz the dude, and IT the chick.
* IrishTiger is not being buried beside Blitz.
Doll knows everything about her sweet baboo
BECAUSE SHE STALKS HIM
Woody
Check out my blog by order of the king.
http://blitzkrieglight.blogspot.com/
radgeek
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by radgeek »

Blitz wrote:WE TREAT MALARIA BETTER THAN YOU AMERICAN.
See we are not hopeless peoples. You Americans get rid of malaria for oh a few month at the most, and it comes back. We get rid of it.
I reject your American Stereotype. :noway: We keep it away for a few years.
I have the best signature ever!

ToO mother of Merlin J. Marvin, iluvsns, ric, TKD, Alyssa, Garrett, ID4J and Monty and the other siblings that I've yet to find. ToO sister of Whitty Whit.

In the market for a Reformers Unanimous Signature Banner

Blitz: You Americans are lost. As missionaries, we generally hate stereotypes.
Jelly: Was this meant to be ironic? ;)
The Old Judge
Catspaw is splendiferous

Post by The Old Judge »

When you think of the 8-12 year old range that Odyssey is for, this advertising should work. Those obnoxious commercials selling products with no substance (i.e., the hats that can flip their arms) are for that age group. When I was that young, I probably would have been intrigued and wanted to listen to the episode.

(Technically, I still am intrigued. Just not $15/month intrigued.)
"Some folks say, 'Well, America's gone too far,' and I say, 'Lazarus was dead, but that wasn't too much for Jesus.'"
---Jeff Fugate
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

So instead of advertising to 8-12-year-olds with something, I don't know, not offensively inaccurate, we have to perpetuate a stereotype many of them probably already have just to catch their attention? Just because something does work doesn't mean that it should, nor does it mean that it's the only thing that will.
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
The Old Judge
Catspaw is splendiferous

Post by The Old Judge »

I know what you're saying, Miss Trandy, but when you think about their goals, this picture probably does work to some extent, at least with the age group for whom it was intended. I guess you could call this sensationalism in picture form, taking the fact that "certain African countries are underdeveloped" and that spears and other native weapons may still be used in some capacity by certain people groups, and then you get that picture.
"Some folks say, 'Well, America's gone too far,' and I say, 'Lazarus was dead, but that wasn't too much for Jesus.'"
---Jeff Fugate
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Didn't Odyssey drop the whole "for 8-12 year olds" tag a long time ago because they realized the show has an appeal not limited to that age range? If so, isn't your argument then invalid? Additionally, it would be the parents who are paying for this, which means they need to catch the older listeners attention to, which also might invalidate your argument.