Whatever happened to Jennifer Whitaker-Dowd?

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
jennifertwt
Catspaw Rocks!

Whatever happened to Jennifer Whitaker-Dowd?

Post by jennifertwt »

We have been listening to Album 7, On Thin Ice over Swedish Sports Break (Winter break) and it made me wonder about Jenny Whitaker-Dowd. We know what happened to Monty, he grew up to be Monty Whitaker (what happened to Dowd?), government agent. It would be interesting to find out what happened to Jenny. Did she grow up to be a famous scientist? settle down to become a wife and mother? both? also become an agent?
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden
Sapphire
A Beautiful Gem
Post by Sapphire »

That is a very interesting question. I have always wondered what happened to her.
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ― C.S. Lewis
~JCGJ~
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

She grew up (and changed her name) to become Katrina Shanks Meltzner. :mrgreen:
They/Them
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
jennifertwt
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by jennifertwt »

cute. Although if Eugene had waited for Jenny to grow up, I have a feeling they would have made a fine pair. Remembering that Eugene was a Child Prodigy who Went to college very Young, the age difference could only have been 5-7 years. Not impossible. ;-)

please forgive my computer it is in autocorrect Swedish mode and driving me nuts.
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

I didn't really like the character when I heard her, but she was realistic. Some of the characters (Jason, ahem) weren't very "realistic" in many senses. I realize later though, that she was a fantastic character. She was the child of the Parenting Guru who didn't get it all right when he was a parent. Also, the fact that we rarely see her shows that Whit is a more relatable character. I work with people whose families I never meet, much less adult children who live anywhere in the world. I used to work with this one old guy whose grandson was my age. He would talk about him a little, but I think he lived elsewhere and it's not like I'd ever meet the kid. So it is realistic in one sense that we get Mr. Whitaker but not any of his family (except for that annoying Jason, sigh).
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
The Old Judge
Catspaw is splendiferous

Post by The Old Judge »

I believe you are talking about Jana Whittaker-Dowd, correct? Jana is Whit's daughter. Jenny is Jana's daughter, brother of Monty, and grandson of Mister Whittaker.
"Some folks say, 'Well, America's gone too far,' and I say, 'Lazarus was dead, but that wasn't too much for Jesus.'"
---Jeff Fugate
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

Yes, I was certainly referring to Jana. I'm sorry for the mixup. Characters from the early days of Odyssey kind of get confused together in my mind.
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
EvangelineWalker
I'm a teapot

Post by EvangelineWalker »

KODY 105: How can you hate Jason? He is AWESOME! Unless you are just jealous. It seems a lot of men are. ;)

I wonder what happened to both Jana and Jenny. I'd like to hear from them; we've already heard from Monty after many years, why not them? All of Whit's family is awesome.
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

I'm not jealous of Jason. I didn't care for the character in the show. He didn't fit in quite well with the rest of the show's characters as I saw it. Eh, I think I'm the only one in my family that didn't like Jason.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

KODY 105 wrote:I'm not jealous of Jason. I didn't care for the character in the show. He didn't fit in quite well with the rest of the show's characters as I saw it. Eh, I think I'm the only one in my family that didn't like Jason.
I agree. I have never cared for Jason. I just don't see what makes him so wonderful.
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

KODY 105 wrote:He didn't fit in quite well with the rest of the show's characters as I saw it.
Honestly, that could be why everyone loves him so much. We have Whit, the wise old inventor; Connie, the neurotic eternal teenager; Eugene, the geeky know-it-all; Tom, the down-to-earth, elderly farmer; Bernard, the common-sensical and snarky janitor; and Jack, the practical, friendly old advice-giver. After all of those types of lead characters, I can definitely see people latching on to a dashing, clever, witty, handsome young man with a bit of a brash streak and a past as a secret agent. Jason provided listeners with a change of pace from the usual cast members because he was such a risk-taker, and because he added a type of intrigue and heroics to the show that it really couldn't have with the aforementioned cast members. Just as many straight-laced characters in other shows become popular because they question the wisdom of their rash, hot-tempered compatriots, so do hotheaded tough guys become popular because they question the practicality of their calmer, "safer" (relatively speaking, as I'm not sure how one could really define the Imagination Station as "safe" ;) ) castmates.

Additionally, underneath all the manliness, Jason is a total dork, and personally speaking, we ladies love dorky men. \:D/
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Jason is just so... fake. HOW CAN YOU GUYS LIKE HIM.

his voice is a wee bit annoying too..
jennifertwt
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by jennifertwt »

since this discussion started out to be about Jennifer Whitaker-Dowd, I have stayed out of it. However, I must say that Townsend Coleman does a wonderful job of voicing Jason. Next to Earl Boen, he is my favorite voice actor. I Think Jason´s character does a good job of showing us how difficult it can be to be a Christian and yet be so involved in the World. Hubby and I had many conversations about what would you do if you were a secret agent playing the part of a very bad person AND be a Christian. How would you reconcile the two and stay grounded? I Think HOme Again did a great job of addressing this.
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden
Whitty Whit
Whittier than you
Whittier than you

Post by Whitty Whit »

TigerintheShadows wrote:Additionally, underneath all the manliness, Jason is a total dork, and personally speaking, we ladies love dorky men. \:D/
snubs wrote:I agree. I have never cared for Jason. I just don't see what makes him so wonderful.
Sorry snubs, but apparently you aren't a lady because you don't love Jason. :noway:
1x admin, 2x moderator. 3-26-11, 5-25-12
Jehoshaphat wrote:I mean every election is basically just choosing what type of government we want.
#FOREVERKITTY
Leonard Meltsner
I'm memorable
Location: Odyssey, of course!! Isn't that implied in the name of the forum?

Post by Leonard Meltsner »

I'd like to point out that Jason is half of Whit.

For those who don't remember, when Whit left Odyssey, his place was filled by both Jack and Jason. To balance them, their personalities were drawn from Whit's own dichotomy. Whit's persona was sifted into two layers, and divided among the new managers. Jack took Whit's mature, responsible, advice-giving side, and Jason took Whit's adventurous, risk-taking, inventing, unpredictable side. Jason can't truly be called "out of place" from the rest of the characters, because the foundation of his character is to be, along with Jack, half of Whit's character, and Whit's as "AIO cast" as they come.
Eugene-"Well, the sequence of events occured with extreme rapidity, but I shall attempt to recall them. I was powering my two-wheeler along this concrete pathway, when your personnage suddenly appeared directly in front of me blocking my course. My reflexes immediately sprang to life in an attempt to navigate an evasive manouveur around you while still maintaining course and speed, but I evidently over-compensated, and my Schwinn careened off the hardened path, taking me with it, and up-ended us both in this shrub, a Rhododendron of the heath family I believe, deducing from the leathery evergreen leaves, as distinguished from the deciduous Azalea, which as we all know is..."
Isaac-"You mean, you crashed into this bush cause I got in your way."
Eugene-"Well, that of course is another way of expressing it." Isaac the Benevolent
TigerintheShadows

snubs wrote:Jason is just so... fake. HOW CAN YOU GUYS LIKE HIM.
//tiltshead

How is Jason fake? :-s
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
AIO tumblr sideblog
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

TigerintheShadows wrote:
snubs wrote:Jason is just so... fake. HOW CAN YOU GUYS LIKE HIM.
//tiltshead

How is Jason fake? :-s
It is the way he says things. His voice. He doesn't sound sincere about anything. And his character is over-dramatic and unrealistic (as with aspects of Whit of course).
jennifertwt
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by jennifertwt »

I beg to differ, I could listen to Townsend Coleman read the phone book.
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden
~JCGJ~
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

jennifertwt wrote:I beg to differ, I could listen to Townsend Coleman read the phone book.
Is he in the habit of filibustering? :mrgreen:
They/Them
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
TigerintheShadows

~JCGJ~ wrote:
jennifertwt wrote:I beg to differ, I could listen to Townsend Coleman read the phone book.
Is he in the habit of filibustering? :mrgreen:
If that were the case, I'd personally prefer that he choose Green Eggs and Ham. ;)
Last edited by TigerintheShadows on Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
AIO tumblr sideblog