My brother and Odyssey

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
Mrs Jason Whittaker
Classic

My brother and Odyssey

Post by Mrs Jason Whittaker »

I recently joined the Odyssey Adventure Club (I know there's plenty of controversy, but let me just say it's totally worth it for me.) and I was telling my brother and fellow AIO fan all about it. Then I remembered you can add users to your account, so I added him as a user a week ago. I saw him yesterday and asked if he had heard any of the OAC exclusive episodes. He said no, he's listening to Family Portraits. It's going to be a long time before he gets to the new episodes.

I thought my AIO friends on here might appreciate that story.

Anyway, the moral of the story is, I have lots to say about some of the OAC episodes and no one to discuss it with.
"Your days, at the most, cannot be long. It would be best to use them for the glory of God and the benefit of your generation."
-William Booth
~JCGJ~
Autumn is a Glorious Season
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

Mrs Jason Whittaker wrote:I recently joined the Odyssey Adventure Club (I know there's plenty of controversy, but let me just say it's totally worth it for me.) and I was telling my brother and fellow AIO fan all about it. Then I remembered you can add users to your account, so I added him as a user a week ago. I saw him yesterday and asked if he had heard any of the OAC exclusive episodes. He said no, he's listening to Family Portraits. It's going to be a long time before he gets to the new episodes.

I thought my AIO friends on here might appreciate that story.

Anyway, the moral of the story is, I have lots to say about some of the OAC episodes and no one to discuss it with.
Another flaw of this club... They've driven many loyal listeners away, leaving the new listeners (or one of the few oldies that has subscribed) with no one with which they can discuss the new episodes. I have little doubt that the new episodes are quite good (and I may subscribe for a month or so in order to hear them), but it's simply not worth it for me to pay a monthly fee to listen to something that I've listened to for years (and can still listen to for free), album by album.
Last edited by ~JCGJ~ on Tue May 06, 2014 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
They/Them
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Leonard Meltsner
I'm memorable
Location: Odyssey, of course!! Isn't that implied in the name of the forum?

Post by Leonard Meltsner »

I don't know why there haven't been any review threads for them, but for now, people seem to be discussing them in OAC-related threads in Whit's End, and on the Oddcast youtube reviews of the relevant episodes.
Eugene-"Well, the sequence of events occured with extreme rapidity, but I shall attempt to recall them. I was powering my two-wheeler along this concrete pathway, when your personnage suddenly appeared directly in front of me blocking my course. My reflexes immediately sprang to life in an attempt to navigate an evasive manouveur around you while still maintaining course and speed, but I evidently over-compensated, and my Schwinn careened off the hardened path, taking me with it, and up-ended us both in this shrub, a Rhododendron of the heath family I believe, deducing from the leathery evergreen leaves, as distinguished from the deciduous Azalea, which as we all know is..."
Isaac-"You mean, you crashed into this bush cause I got in your way."
Eugene-"Well, that of course is another way of expressing it." Isaac the Benevolent
Mrs Jason Whittaker
Classic

Post by Mrs Jason Whittaker »

Well, I wouldn't blame the OAC. I spent the majority of my childhood without anyone but my siblings to discuss episodes with. And even then, they weren't into dissecting the episodes scene by scene.

I certainly don't want to get into an argument--AIO is trying something new that may or may not work. All I'm saying is when I look at my monthly budget I spend well over $15 a month on ridiculous stuff. It wasn't hard for me to decide the monthly fee was worth it.
"Your days, at the most, cannot be long. It would be best to use them for the glory of God and the benefit of your generation."
-William Booth
~JCGJ~
Post by ~JCGJ~ »

It would be more worth it to me if they made the price closer to a magazine subscription ($20-$30 for an entire year), and I feel like they would have many more subscribers as well. It's simply not worth it for me to pay $180 per year, simply so I can hear new episodes of AiO. It might be worth it if I didn't have access to the majority of the old episodes already... But I do, so it isn't.
I'm not bashing the Club; if it truly increases their profit off of AiO (which, if I'm not interpreting this wrong, was their intention behind the OAC), then I think the idea is a good one. However, regardless of how much money FotF makes off of the OAC, it is simply not worth it for me to dish out that much money a year for something I have almost unlimited access to in the first place.
Last edited by ~JCGJ~ on Tue May 06, 2014 9:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.
They/Them
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
jennifertwt
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by jennifertwt »

I MIGHT join in December so I can hear the full 12 OAC eps, the Harley eps, and album 58..........then decide if it is worth it. Part of me is still in stubborn boycott mode but I am following the Oddcast reviews. I had wondered in my evil moments if Brock leaving had anything to do with the Club not working out the way they had hoped. I read that many non-American listeners are still unable to access the Club and that many Android users are disappointed in the lack of aps for them. I would be more inclined to pay the full $180 per year if you could also download the eps and actually "own" them rather than just access. I hate this having to be "connected" for my entertainment. We recently moved and pulling out the CD´s to use in the old boombox was a lifesaver as far as sanity when we were "between" apartments without internet. We only use "pay as you go" phones so I don´t want to use up my money using aps.
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden