How Relevant Are Message Boards In The AIO Community?

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

Pound Foolish wrote:Topper, Catspaw, and everyone who agrees with this, while Dacie put it well, she is still incorrect.
You think I'm wrong because you incorrectly assume I was talking about the Soda Shop here. Shortly before this topic was made, Bren contacted me on Facebook because he was considering going a different direction with his own site. My reaction here is basically an extension of that conversation and mostly focused on the CC dilemma. So I see that you're concerned because of the later City Hall topic on merging the two. But I don't necessarily think that should happen.

As far as this site vs. Soda Shop, the two serve a different purpose. It's a different audience, with some crossover Venn Diagram style. Apparently more general discussion forums are opening there, somewhat increasing the overlap of the two. Maintaining the two as fully functioning communities may mean limiting the scope of each.
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon
The Mysterious
I've been here a bit

Post by The Mysterious »

At least this DOES have a AIO relevant place: Right here at Whit's End. What 'bout Campbell County?
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

For me, personally, I very rarely use message boards for anything anymore. I used to spend hours on here (even more time on CBH) and I've found that as the internet has changed if I just want general discussion I post on tumblr. I no longer listen to AIO on the radio (I used to always have AIO playing). I feel like as I've gotten older (and the original demographic of this message board) I've slowly moved away from message boards. And now the current kids don't really use message boards like we used to because the whole internet environment has changed. I don't know if my younger sister has ever even been a part of a forum or message board. I come on here sometimes, just to see how things are, and to me it seems that in general it's just really slowed down for both AIO discussions and general discussions.
Woody
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Woody »

You forget that the ToO also has a sister AIO information site. I myself found the AIO forum community through AIOwiki. So really, our situations are quite similar in that each of us have a popular AIO information source with direct links to the forums. :) So really, the competition argument is quite valid.
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

The Mysterious wrote:At least this DOES have a AIO relevant place: Right here at Whit's End. What 'bout Campbell County?
Our place is Whit's End, Connellsville
ImageImageImage
logos linked
Tea Ess
Animatronic

Post by Tea Ess »

darcie wrote:As far as this site vs. Soda Shop, the two serve a different purpose. It's a different audience, with some crossover Venn Diagram style.
Agreed with this.
darcie wrote:Apparently more general discussion forums are opening there, somewhat increasing the overlap of the two. Maintaining the two as fully functioning communities may mean limiting the scope of each.
Yes, our general discussion has increased. I still think the usergroups and setups of each are quite different, but it will be interesting to see what happens in the future.
Woody wrote:You forget that the ToO also has a sister AIO information site. I myself found the AIO forum community through AIOwiki. So really, our situations are quite similar in that each of us have a popular AIO information source with direct links to the forums. :) So really, the competition argument is quite valid.
Thank you, I forgot about that. However, I don't think that the competition argument entirely works. Sure, a portion of the SS usergroup may have become active in the ToO instead, had the SS never existed, but the SS has also drawn in new members who otherwise would not have joined anything at all.

Also, at least from what I've seen, once people join a board, they tend to stay with that one, or at least favor it over the others. There's very little competition over established members on the boards. Theoretically, the SS may have prevented a few new members from joining the ToO, but given the large difference in usergroups, I think that the percentage is not that large.
"And the fire with all the strength it hath."
Jeffster
Lurker

Post by Jeffster »

Anna><> wrote:For me, personally, I very rarely use message boards for anything anymore. I used to spend hours on here (even more time on CBH) and I've found that as the internet has changed if I just want general discussion I post on tumblr. I no longer listen to AIO on the radio (I used to always have AIO playing). I feel like as I've gotten older (and the original demographic of this message board) I've slowly moved away from message boards. And now the current kids don't really use message boards like we used to because the whole internet environment has changed. I don't know if my younger sister has ever even been a part of a forum or message board. I come on here sometimes, just to see how things are, and to me it seems that in general it's just really slowed down for both AIO discussions and general discussions.
What do they use instead?
SirWhit
I'm finally a No0b

Post by SirWhit »

They use social media. Twitter, Failbook, etc.
Leonard Meltsner
I'm memorable
Location: Odyssey, of course!! Isn't that implied in the name of the forum?

Post by Leonard Meltsner »

Mr. Whit's End wrote:They use social media. Twitter, Failbook, etc.
And there's a small amount of us who gather on tumblr as well.
Eugene-"Well, the sequence of events occured with extreme rapidity, but I shall attempt to recall them. I was powering my two-wheeler along this concrete pathway, when your personnage suddenly appeared directly in front of me blocking my course. My reflexes immediately sprang to life in an attempt to navigate an evasive manouveur around you while still maintaining course and speed, but I evidently over-compensated, and my Schwinn careened off the hardened path, taking me with it, and up-ended us both in this shrub, a Rhododendron of the heath family I believe, deducing from the leathery evergreen leaves, as distinguished from the deciduous Azalea, which as we all know is..."
Isaac-"You mean, you crashed into this bush cause I got in your way."
Eugene-"Well, that of course is another way of expressing it." Isaac the Benevolent
SirWhit
I'm finally a No0b

Post by SirWhit »

Ah, Tumblr. Forgot about that.
Jeffster
Lurker

Post by Jeffster »

You can't really have a discussion via Twitter though, can you? :-k

As for Facebook, they at least have discussion groups. Is there an active one for AIO? So far, I have only seen groups with a tiny amount of members when I searched.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

This. This is the point that's been missing thus far. Facebook has changed a lot of things about the internet, and one effect is that forums have been rendered somewhat obsolete.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

Jeffster wrote:As for Facebook, they at least have discussion groups. Is there an active one for AIO? So far, I have only seen groups with a tiny amount of members when I searched.
Adventures in Odyssey Trivia... That's the only one I know of. It is fairly active. But it focuses more on asking trivia questions, however there is some discussion too.
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
Leonard Meltsner
I'm memorable

snubs wrote:
Jeffster wrote:As for Facebook, they at least have discussion groups. Is there an active one for AIO? So far, I have only seen groups with a tiny amount of members when I searched.
Adventures in Odyssey Trivia... That's the only one I know of. It is fairly active. But it focuses more on asking trivia questions, however there is some discussion too.
Yeah, the trivia page seems to be the most active one. It's weird, because I didn't realize until recently how large it was. I've been admining it almost since it began, but it has almost 300 members now. And yes, there are some discussions occasionally, but it's mostly trivia.
Eugene-"Well, the sequence of events occured with extreme rapidity, but I shall attempt to recall them. I was powering my two-wheeler along this concrete pathway, when your personnage suddenly appeared directly in front of me blocking my course. My reflexes immediately sprang to life in an attempt to navigate an evasive manouveur around you while still maintaining course and speed, but I evidently over-compensated, and my Schwinn careened off the hardened path, taking me with it, and up-ended us both in this shrub, a Rhododendron of the heath family I believe, deducing from the leathery evergreen leaves, as distinguished from the deciduous Azalea, which as we all know is..."
Eugene-"Well, that of course is another way of expressing it." Isaac the Benevolent
Jeffster
Lurker

Post by Jeffster »

Leonard Meltsner wrote:
snubs wrote:
Yeah, the trivia page seems to be the most active one. It's weird, because I didn't realize until recently how large it was. I've been admining it almost since it began, but it has almost 300 members now. And yes, there are some discussions occasionally, but it's mostly trivia.
300 is tiny though. Several FB groups I'm in have over 10,000 members. I know Odyssey has more fans than that, where are they online? :-k
Woody
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Woody »

You have to remember that a large percentage of Odyssey fans are children under the age of 12, many of whom don't have Facebook or internet privileges. ;)
I have been robbed of my rightful secret moderator powers! Vote here to help me get them back!
Leonard Meltsner
I'm memorable

There's also the fact that many are conservative Christians, many of whom are less likely to get heavily involved in online communities or fandom activities or sites like tumblr, unfortunately. You're right, of course. As you can see at the bottom of the home page, even the ToO itself only has 1310 members. Compare that to the fact that AIO has over 1 million listeners a day, and over 6 million per week. The age is probably the largest factor, followed by the taste of some people for getting involved in "frivolous internet activities".
Stop Wooton' Around
Wooton rocks!
Wooton rocks!

Post by Stop Wooton' Around »

Anna><> wrote:For me, personally, I very rarely use message boards for anything anymore. I used to spend hours on here (even more time on CBH) and I've found that as the internet has changed if I just want general discussion I post on tumblr. I no longer listen to AIO on the radio (I used to always have AIO playing). I feel like as I've gotten older (and the original demographic of this message board) I've slowly moved away from message boards. And now the current kids don't really use message boards like we used to because the whole internet environment has changed. I don't know if my younger sister has ever even been a part of a forum or message board. I come on here sometimes, just to see how things are, and to me it seems that in general it's just really slowed down for both AIO discussions and general discussions.
So much truth here. Now that I am in college and have high-speed internet I am never around. The time in which I was crazy active on both here and AIOWiki was when I first joined back in 2009, which puts me in 7th grade. I really didn't have much going on and my internet wouldn't load a lot of things, so I spend a lot of time editing the wiki and posting here. I also feel as though the Era of wikis and forums in general have passed. After all, even Wikipedia as seen a huge decline in editors. Not entirely sure why, its just one of those trends that seems to be happening.