Age to introduce kids to AIO?

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
Shadowpaw
Town Founder
It’s my birthday

Age to introduce kids to AIO?

Post by Shadowpaw »

Several years back I tried to get my oldest nephew (4 years at the time) to listen to AIO. He didn't like it and didn't want to hear anymore. It's a shame, because he's actually named after John Avery Whittaker (Jonah Avery...). But, in the last few weeks, my sister has been playing AIO for him and his little brother and they're addicted. They've been listening to the daily episodes and the first time they were going to listen to it, they all crowded around the iPad expecting to "see" something and there was nothing. They thought it was dumb, but after the episode aired, they couldn't wait for the next one. Then, on Sunday, when there was no new episode, they were bummed. Haha.

Have any of you introduced AIO to your kids/nephews/nieces? How did they first react?
Leonard Meltsner
I'm memorable
Location: Odyssey, of course!! Isn't that implied in the name of the forum?

Post by Leonard Meltsner »

My little cousins are hooked on it, and they're always awed by how Victoria and I have the entire show and have our podcast and everything. They're 8 and 6, and they're been listening for a couple years. Their dad grew up on the show as well.
Eugene-"Well, the sequence of events occured with extreme rapidity, but I shall attempt to recall them. I was powering my two-wheeler along this concrete pathway, when your personnage suddenly appeared directly in front of me blocking my course. My reflexes immediately sprang to life in an attempt to navigate an evasive manouveur around you while still maintaining course and speed, but I evidently over-compensated, and my Schwinn careened off the hardened path, taking me with it, and up-ended us both in this shrub, a Rhododendron of the heath family I believe, deducing from the leathery evergreen leaves, as distinguished from the deciduous Azalea, which as we all know is..."
Isaac-"You mean, you crashed into this bush cause I got in your way."
Eugene-"Well, that of course is another way of expressing it." Isaac the Benevolent
Jamesobie
Gold Member

Post by Jamesobie »

My 3 year old sister loves it. But not on the same level as me.
-Trenton Landmark<><
P.S. The Bones rule, and the Israelites drool.
In memory of StrongNChrist, whom I never met.Image
H Tide
Sing in the sunshine

Post by H Tide »

A couple years back, I played some episodes for my cousins, who were about 7 and 9, during a long car trip. At the time, they did enjoy it, but I haven't tried it recently.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

My best friend's son started listening soon before he turned 5 and he loves it! He actually named his teddy bear Lucky Punch after listening to "Mike Makes Right," which was probably not the message that his parents wanted him to get (not to mention the AIO writing staff) ;) but whatever. It made me so happy that he likes AIO already! I thought that I would have to wait longer than this for him to be an Odyssey fan. \:D/ Other than that, I know that my younger cousins started listening when they wre around 6 and 8, but I can't remember exactly. I know that one of them was easily upset by episodes with conflict, but she has a pretty sensitive personality, and she was feeling the characters' pain a little too much.

I take credit for some future AIO fans, because I have a friend who told me that she bought AIO with the intention of listening to it with her kids when they're a little older (they're only 1 and 3 now) and she credited me as part of the reason that she did that, so yay! \:D/ Start them young. ;) If they don't like, try it again later.

Shadowpaw, I'm glad that your nephew decided that he likes AIO now! With his name, it seemed inevitable! :D
jennifertwt
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by jennifertwt »

Leonard Meltsner wrote:My little cousins are hooked on it, and they're always awed by how Victoria and I have the entire show and have our podcast and everything. They're 8 and 6, and they're been listening for a couple years. Their dad grew up on the show as well.
that is great! I worked hard to complete my Collection at the time I moved to Sweden in case we had kids. We were not that lucky and I am now 49 but I am trying to get my friend's kids into it. I sent two sampler CD's to her but have not Heard back. I have Another online friend in Malaysia who has tried to introduce his 4 and 6 year old, they are just now getting an attention span to listen to an entire episode at once but they say there are some cultural gaps (like baseball) that make some eps uninteresting.

-- 16 Aug 2014 10:21 am --

If we had had kids, my plan was to play it when they were Little even if they could not completely follow the eps (obviously the lighter ones) and save the more involved ones for when they got older. They would have been indoctrinated from birth by osmosis. And like Leonard, I have up until this Point worked hard to keep my Collection intact (at least through Albm 57) the jury is still out on if I will purchase any future albums.
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden
EUCC
Someone's favorite

Post by EUCC »

Yeah my kids listen all the time. When my daughter was little I didn't care if I listened to the scarier episodes when she was around but now I don't because she can get scared (5 yrs now). My boys are 14 mos and they are listening to Another Man's Shoes right now (ha! with me!) My one boy picked it out, at least that's the CD he grabbed so I figured that's what we'd listen to. I don't think there's anything wrong with having them listen at any young age. My daughter likes Tales Of Moderation more than anything ("I want to listen to the talking toaster!") and the ep in which Tamika breaks Whit's blender (name/album anyone to jog my memory before I find the time to look it up?)
jennifertwt
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by jennifertwt »

actually the split era eps are good for really young kids, even though some fans hate them. Sunset Bowlawater is one of my favorites!
Jennifer Lundgren
Stockholm, Sweden
Leonard Meltsner
I'm memorable
Location: Odyssey, of course!! Isn't that implied in the name of the forum?

Post by Leonard Meltsner »

EUCC wrote:Yeah my kids listen all the time. When my daughter was little I didn't care if I listened to the scarier episodes when she was around but now I don't because she can get scared (5 yrs now). My boys are 14 mos and they are listening to Another Man's Shoes right now (ha! with me!) My one boy picked it out, at least that's the CD he grabbed so I figured that's what we'd listen to. I don't think there's anything wrong with having them listen at any young age. My daughter likes Tales Of Moderation more than anything ("I want to listen to the talking toaster!") and the ep in which Tamika breaks Whit's blender (name/album anyone to jog my memory before I find the time to look it up?)
Broken-Armed And Dangerous is what you're looking for. Album 47, I believe.
Eugene-"Well, the sequence of events occured with extreme rapidity, but I shall attempt to recall them. I was powering my two-wheeler along this concrete pathway, when your personnage suddenly appeared directly in front of me blocking my course. My reflexes immediately sprang to life in an attempt to navigate an evasive manouveur around you while still maintaining course and speed, but I evidently over-compensated, and my Schwinn careened off the hardened path, taking me with it, and up-ended us both in this shrub, a Rhododendron of the heath family I believe, deducing from the leathery evergreen leaves, as distinguished from the deciduous Azalea, which as we all know is..."
Isaac-"You mean, you crashed into this bush cause I got in your way."
Eugene-"Well, that of course is another way of expressing it." Isaac the Benevolent
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

It's Album 46, "A Date With Dad (and Other Calamities)".
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
EUCC
Someone's favorite

Post by EUCC »

Thanks! Listening to it for the 5th time today now.
The Old Judge
Catspaw is splendiferous

Post by The Old Judge »

It warms my heart to see the next generation of Odyssians in training. :)
"Some folks say, 'Well, America's gone too far,' and I say, 'Lazarus was dead, but that wasn't too much for Jesus.'"
---Jeff Fugate