Are the New Characters As Good?

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
Pound Foolish
Tallying up

Are the New Characters As Good?

Post by Pound Foolish »

They've had literally years to grow on us. So, with album 51 practically an ancient memory, what do we think? Are we fond of Matthew, Emily, Jay and company? Most everyone still has a "new" character or two they dislike. Emily and Camilla remain popular choices. (It's worth noting few if any generations of aio kids are loved entirely. People aren't exactly ecstatic about Sam Johnson, for instance.) On the other hand, there are characters more or less universally liked, such as Olivia, Matthew, and especially Jay. Then there's beloved new adult minor characters, such as Jacques Henri, Penny and Mrs. Kramer. Plus, beloved old characters have returned to town, notably Dale Jacobs and Jason. So, is this crop of characters good as most past generations? Have we finally accepted them?
E II
Animatronic
Post by E II »

i actually kind of like camilla for some reason....
but to answer your question, i dont know if any one who has been listening for a long time can really like the new charachters as much because you always try to compare them to the old ones, and at least for me the way i remember and like things the best is the way they were when i first discovered them, regardless of how long ago that was. for me odyssey has pretty much always been there from the time i was a kid, and i do like a lot of the older charchters better. of course some are better than the old ones, but i feel like all of the charchters have done something at one time or another that i liked. it didnt matter if i really hated them i still found that they were capable of making me like them. so to answer your question, i think to the kids who start listening now that todays charachters will be the best there ever was, but for a lot of us who have listened for a long time, the older ones will be the best.
I am confused
Paula
insert dash here

Post by Paula »

I honestly don't think that any new character would ever compare to the "old characters." Their personalities are timeless and to have to build up a brand new character, and have them compared to the old ones isn't too far. So I guess I agree with you, PF. The oldies are in a class of their own. I still enjoy Jay though, and I love listening to the episodes that he's in, because I think his personality is a good one =P
Fast & Jelly are at it again. This time they face the evil fast clickers. Can fast be faster? Is Jelly too slow to turn them into jelly? Find out this week on Fast & Jelly! --> Penguin
#pPodPartnersWithPenguin
Pound Foolish
Tallying up

Post by Pound Foolish »

They've been proven timeless... Some of them, let's remember. The very term timeless implies needed time for such characters to withstand the test of time, and to even appear. Other characters, nobody ever brings up, even though they scored a bunch of episodes. For instance, Courtney, Sam, Julie, Cody Camper. People don't usually mean Camilla and company aren't as good as those. "Oh Camilla, you're just not as good as Sam Johnson. Those were the days." They mean, "Remember Jimmy? Curt? Lucy? Mandy? Those were the days." Is this really fair? Those characters are the best of the best. They turned up through albums and albums, inbetween far less memorable characters. The question isn't is this generation of aio characters comparable to aio's absolute best. The question is, are they good compared to your standard aio kid.
Kathy909
Lurker

Post by Kathy909 »

I like the old characters a lot!!! I think I might like them more then the new ones...... because there's Jimmy, and Donna, Curt, Sam, Aubrey, Bethany...... Oh and what about Lucy??? I mean I like the new ones a lot Camilla, Emily, Mathew, and all the rest but nothing can replace the old ones!!!!!! Those episodes where the BEST!!!! I mean I think the makers might be running out of ideas??? I don't think any van be as good as those........... But the new ones are good too!